IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a trip (catch and release of course) for Saturday if the weather isn't too bad (windy). Has anybody been to the Fishery lately??? I am going either way, just wondering how excited to get? Will I sleep for two hours the night before or maybe just one hour?

Thanks in advance.
Scott

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Get excited... lots of shaker action and a few over size and keeper size to C&R. I was there last week zillions of fish caught. The best part was there was only one other boat.

Bait, Smelt of course.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've been up there a couple of times in the last two weeks... check the wind before you head out... It's been blowing like crazy when I was up there

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
It was blowing when we were there as well but it was from the east so the fishing was doable. If it is windy you may need to run the kicker in reverse to help out.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, looks like no sleep Friday night, or dreaming of the big ones! I have not been up there since August. Looking forward to sore arms.

Thanks again,
Scott

·
Registered
531 Posts
One of my guests landed 30 Sturgeon last Friday.
8 keeper size and 1 oversize. Constant action on the outgoing tide.Bite stopped with the tide change. Click... bite off. Best Bait ? Coho fillets !

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the replies. Anyone else up there this week?
I'll be in a blue and white sylvan, blue top if it is raining, IFish stickers on the windshield.
Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
462 Posts
Steelheadsteve

Is that legal to use game fish for bait?
Just curious....not trying to start anything here. I've often wanted to try it, but I've been told it's not legal.

Thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
fishingfist what kind of boat do you have???I will be fishing up at Tanner creek for oversizers on Sat. See'ya up there.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chris, I'll be at the ramp bright and early, you know where I'll be, stop over and say hi. Maybe I'll shadow you for the day! :grin: (only if you are catching more)

Don't forget the marinara sauce!

See you Saturday,
Scott

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
fishingfirst,

We launched at the Fishery and targeted oversized last Thursday. The wind blew us off the river though! It was howling and throwing us around like a rag doll. We finally got tired of it and left, but not before I managed to sacrifice my Lamiglas hat to the wind gods!

Looking at the weather, it's not supposed to be blowing that hard on Saturday (14-16 MPH), but 90% chance of the wet stuff, so bring raingear. Good luck and bring us back some pictures :grin:

-jokester

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jokester,
Thanks for the report. I'll have the top on the boat, and the heater, so the weather won't be much of an issue. I just hope the wind is light. I'll let you know how we did.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Scott- We have been hitting the area pretty hard. Tons of shakers and we have averaged about two keepers a trip. We have been fishing down below in 20 to 35 feet of water. I'll see you there Saturday :cool:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, here is my report: What an awesome day! We got to Troutdale about 6:30 and by the looks of the wind there we thought we had come up for nothing. But being the diehards that we are, we thought we would give the Fishery a try anyway. I am very glad we decided to keep going. Not much of a breeze at all at the launch, it rained on and off all day, but the river was like glass.

Now for the good stuff, we were trying to set a boat record for the most sturgeon caught by one person this year, the record in our boat is 54! Had we had a couple of hours more of daylight we would have done it. Two of us fishing, 68 fish total. My buddy had 38 of those, so not too far off the mark. Smelt with garlic scent was the best bait. We started with 4 dozen smelt, and caught a fish on EVERY one! Tried my old standby of baby octopus, but could only manage small shakers, and they just were not taking it like the smelt. I was encouraged also by the larger size shakers, many in the 38-40 range, they have been hard to find lately. The keeper size are still around as well, we ended up with a 45" and a 48" for me.

About three my buddy wanted to throw a rod out for oversize :hoboy: . I promptly declined as my arms could not take the abuse.

I was surprised to see about a dozen boats up there, figured we were the only crazy ones to go out after seeing the forecast.

Anyway, another great day on the mighty Columbia, thanks to everyone who replied and helped convince me to stick with the plan.

If you want to go out and catch fish until your arms are sore, I would recommend the fishery for some late season action.

Steelhead Hound, sorry I didn't see your post, I have a 17' blue and white Sylvan with blue canvas, 90 horse Merc on the back.

See you on the river.
Smiling again in Sheridan.
Scott

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Way to go Scott! Glad you guys had a great day out there. You gotta love fishing up there this time of year. Lots of fish and no crowds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts