IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel free to send me an email, since you may not want anyone to know you're spilling the beans...

I'm taking a friend sturgeon fishing in the gorge Saturday and need some advice or locations, since I've never done it by myself in my boat...always with someone else.
He's on assignment from Field and Stream for a story about hunting and fishing on the Lewis and Clark Trail.

I think I've got the basics...put in at The Fishery, anchor across from there or near Multnomah Falls...I've got lots of smelt...

Any other hints would be helpful or if there's something I'm overlooking (I have all the anchor systems, etc...) I think I've got 6 and 8 ounce weights and there didn't seem to be much current the other day when I drove down the gorge.

I'll avoid divulging true secret sauces, etc., if you want me to, but this could also help others cope with this fishery of national interest...

thanks in advance...I think.

G

·
One keeper spot is right off the tip of Skamania Island, downriver side. Run right up on the Green Can, drop the hook about 100 yards below it. Use your finder to see where it drops off big time on the Oregon channel side. Drop the hook as close as you can to the "wall" and you will also be out of the channel.

You won't need big lead, like above the Fishery.

Other typical good spot is Horsetail Falls, Oregon side. Squid/Sandshrimp/Worm/Smelt pieces combo tied on with stretchy thread is a big wad on a 7/0 works for me. Catches multiple fish without having to re-bait every time you swing at one or catch one. Sandshrimp, WD40, Craw/Anise scent has always called em' in for me.

Up high, the "slabs" above Ives Island on the Oregon side, but I still like the lower spots.

Hope you nail em. :smile:

Rick

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi Bill. Fished the area Sunday with my 11 yr old daughter. Took 10 oz. to hold on the shelf areas and 12 in the currents. Wore out her arms reeling in the shakers - nothing bigger than 36" for us that day but what a great day nuntheless. Good luck! Oh yeah, watch that downriver side of Skamania Island - it gets real shallow - real fast. Very low water around - lots of sand showing. :cheers: zip

·
Premium Member
22,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skamania Island? The one across from the Beacon Rock Ramp?

G

·
Bill,

Skamania is below Horsetail Falls and basically directly across from Mult. Falls, all below the Fishery launch.

Zipper is talking about the water between Skamania and Rooster Rock being very shallow with sand bars. Where I told you to sit is 40 to 50 feet deep, right as it drops off deep from the tip of the Island. Stay in the channel from the Fishery downriver to Horsetail and Skamania and you will always be in deep water.

Ives is the Island next to Beacon Rock, above the Fishery.

You will get your anchor back and not lose gear all the time in these lower spots.

Rick

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Bill,
My favorite spot is across from the Fishery and slightly (like 100 yards) downriver on the Wa side. There are about four pilings in the water in front of a row of houses, on the downriver side of these pilings is a (car size) boulder, start about there. Come out about 100 yards and it will drop off to about 70-80 ft. Anchor on the edge, this is a back eddy, so you will actually anchor backwards, the bow will be facing downstream. If there is not a lot of current you may have to use the trolling motor to stay in place. It will only take about 8 ounces to hold bottom.
I would recommend using baby octopus or squid with garlic scent(I usually soak mine in the scent the night before). The baby octopus stays on the hook very well, we have caught multiple fish on one bait......I think our record is 10.

If you do not catch enough sturgeon to completly wear you and your friend out, then I will personally take you in my boat next time!

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
My husband and I fished last saturday and caught 39 shakers and a 48" keeper using smelt and pickled squid. I caught 20 fish on the same piece of squid with a little salmon belly added!! I don't even bother with the stretchy thread, just thread it on your hook and throw it out. The more it gets to looking like a piece of chewed bubble gum, the better! We were catching them in 30' of water down below Horsetail.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Bill,
I fished it hard up there for 3-31/2 hrs on Sunday 9a-12 and nothing but a few shakers for 3 rods. They were just pecking lightly 1-2 times and then moving on (it wasn't the bait)
. Moved/re-anchored 2-3 times. Didn't see anybody doing any better either. Finally went upstream above the island and started back-trolling jumbo jet divers in front of Kwikie's on the Oregon side.

4 chinook in about and hour and a half. Released to darkie's, lost 1 nice one at the net, and 1 good one in the cooler. There are a ton of nookies up there jumping & rolling. You know there are still fresh one's movin' in too.

At least you would have a back-up plan.....I wished I'd back-trolled all day, it wasn't worth the effort for the sturgie's. By the way be careful at the ramp...the waters real low (1-side of the rasmp is closed due to the low water) and there's a pretty good drop-off that could bang up your trailer.

Just my .02

Pat

·
Registered
6 Posts
HEY GUYS AND GALS--- I HAVE TRIED USING SQUID AND IT SEEMS TO BE AN INCREDIBLE BAIT. GET BITES ALL DAY LONG BUT SEEM TO HAVE A HARD TIME HOOKING THE STURGEON. IS THERE A SECRET TO PUTTING SQUID ON A HOOK?? OR IS MY TIMING OFF? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
phishingphool, you just have make sure the hook is completely exposed. I have better luck hooking them on squid than I do on smelt, but it's just the opposite for my hubby.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
phishingphool,
Try leaving the hook hanging out the end about 1/2". Sometimes the fish seem to just go for the tentatcles, that is why I like to use baby octopus, they are mostly tentacles and it is easier to hook them.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I usually cut the tentatcles off so there is only about 1/2" left. Otherwise, it is hard to hook them cause they don't get the hook.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Bad Dipnet......no doughnuts for you! :grin:

Actually that works too, I just like having the hook floating around loose with the tentacles.

Don't forget the garlic scent!

Good luck,
Scott

·
Premium Member
22,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I assume they bite all day and I'm not required to be there before daylight?

Hey, and thanks everyone for all the terrific help

G

·
Only if you don't care if C&E is sitting in the spot I gave you.
:grin:

Hope you have a no wind day and lot's of catching. :smile:

Look for a 20 foot Blue Renegade with a guy named Team

that has Tacklebuster and wife in it or

Team

and husband.

Follow them. They have it dialed up there. :wink:

[ 10-22-2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
371 Posts
fished out by horseshoefalls today and all over on washington and oregon sides best luck was on the oregon side by far i caughta 88 incher to start off what i thought was gonna be a great day but after that i boat 48 between 23 and 37 inchs i was very busy..... and all alone but what a beautiful day to fish next to no wind no wakes and no rain the sun came out about noon and the fish went nuts they was biting like crazy from noon till 2 i boated 17 in those 2 hours. a little wind came in about 3:30 and the bite died shortly after, at least in the hole i was in. have fun hope you find a keeper i think i gonna head out again tomorrow to see if i can find something between a shaker and oversize

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I would say that since this will be the last saturday to fish for keepers, get there early!! only 1/2 of the ramp is open. There is another ramp at the fishery upstream about 100 yards but good backing skills are REQUIRED.

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
Originally posted by Miss B Haven:
Bernie- Try "Teddy" :grin: :cheers: :wink:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">He's to big to fit under my pillow Mel. Like me he has to much stuffing to be a teddy bear.
:grin:

Besides Rick, it's my river, not yours. :tongue:

[ 10-23-2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: CATCH AND EAT ]

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've avoided the Gorge/Bonneville area so far until I get more experience anchoring - I've heard plenty of warnings on Ifish about the strong currents there being no place for beginners. Are the Skamania Island, Horsetail, and The Fishery areas as tricky to anchor in as Bonneville? Would you launch from Rooster Rock or The Fishery to fish these areas?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Bill,
Give eel a try too. Cut into 1-1/2" lengths. Make a slice into the skin to hold the half-hitches, the a few slices to allow the scent to flow. The spot at skamania can be good. I like to keep moving if I'm into too many shakers.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts