IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest fishing foray was over with DepoeBayDan and a few other Ifishers rockfishing around Depoe Bay........I realized that my old spinning rod/reels from the 60s dont cut it very good for this type of fishing. I would like to get a couple casting rod/reel setups for me and the wife, but I want to keep the price minimal. Any suggestions?? I know there is quite a variation in rods but for reels is there a good 'standard' casting reel that a lot of folks use? Thanks for any info, feel free to email me
Russ

G

·
Berkley Buzz Ramsey Air IM7 rods are very good deal and can found on sale sometimes for as little as $60. Garcia Ambassadeurs reels are often on sale as well. You would be out about $130-$150 and have a very good rod/reel combo.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Go with the IM7 Berkleys. Great rods for the money. I also picked up an excellent 11' Graphite bobber rod from Tillamook Sporting Goods. I used it for shad today. It's a 10to20. Great action. Casts like a dream. Can't wait to hook up a nook on it. They also have 9'6" rods there as well. Both are 80.00 bucks. Worth it to me. SPACE

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input....
Stew (love your avitar btw), what # ambassadeur? Are they all about the same quality wise and just pick one with the right capacity/features or ?
thanks

G

·
Originally posted by Fish_N_Russ:
Thanks for the input....
Stew (love your avitar btw), what # ambassadeur? Are they all about the same quality wise and just pick one with the right capacity/features or ?
thanks
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">5501 C3 (LH Crank) for steelhead and certain salmon situations.
6501 C3 for bigger river situations like trolling on the Willamette,Columbia,Buoy 10 etc.
I've even used my 6501 for sturgeon (not oversize)
If you want to go about $10 more on the reel then I suggest a C4 which has 4 bearings intead of 3.
Hope this helps.

[ 05-13-2003, 10:57 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Berkleys are great another option is to go to the Lamiglas outlet store at their factory in woodland they sell seconds and blems and usually have a good selection... Unless you are the type who breaks lots of rods then stick with the berkley for the warentee.. For reels look at pawn shops...

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What type of warranty do those rods have?? Also im not set in stone for graphite......ive always had glass rods but I would imagine thats 'old fashioned' anymore lol.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Pawn shops are an option. So are garage sales. You can get both by going to eBay. You can find some decent equipment at a good price - especially reels. Buying rods is a bit more difficult because you can't hold them and test the action (shipping is also a factor). When I'm watching my budget on buying a fishing outfit I always put most of the money towards the reel. A good quality rod is very nice to use but a cheaper rod accomplishes the same thing. A cheap reel is a waste of money IMHO.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
Bass pro shops makes a few inexpensive rods.

Okumas are hard to beat for Spinning reels for the price and the Ambassadeur C3s are a good price/performance baitcasting reel.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,262 Posts
Lamiglas makes an IM7 now that is like the Buzz Ramsey model. I just purchased one. I got my reel off eBay. $70.00 reel for $44.00. Excellent condition. :smile:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I like my new North River pole from Fishermans Marine . For reels, I second the Abu-Garcia recomendation.

·
Registered
344 Posts
berkley lightning rod im6 graphite they have a good selection up to 50lbs seen them at wal-mart for about 30.00 had some other ones there that were cheap .....

good luck!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Cabela's has casting rods that are made by GLoomis. They're the Tourney Trail rods. You can get a great medium/heavy weight rod for around 70 bucks. I've caught a bunch of steelies, salmon, and bottom fish on mine, as well as some good catfish. Give them a try, for the money you can't go wrong.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Stew,

I see you use reels with the handle on the right side (left side) and agree with you and others that ABU's are hard to beat!

While up at Bob's last year I checked out a Shakespeare levelwind that seemed smoother than the Calcutta's and is due to come out in a left hand model this month. I have never casted one but they sure are smooth.

Someone mentioned a "North River" and that is made by WW Grig Co. Fine rods and that is what I use for salmon and surf/rock fishing. Great rods but not a Loomis. They are considerbably cheaper and have a better warranty. I backed over both of the chinook rods I used for rockfishing the other day when I sat them up against the back of the van and me and Bob got side tracked when tourist were checking out our fish from the rocks and I forgot I didn't put them in the van.

I lucked out and didn't run over the ABU's (5501 & 6501) and only broke the tip section of one of the rods. It will only cost me 15 bucks to replace the tip section (their standard policy) for the one. The other one has a flattened but section and it is toast. Thankfull it wasn't a Loomis!

Life goes on.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
By the way, I use a 10-20# and a 15-40# chinook rod for off the rocks. Can't go wrong with the 10-20# rod for off the rocks and it is an excellent chinook rod. I also use 12-20# Trilene Big Game on them.

Check out my new rockfishing thread. Amazing the difference a day can make! Wished everyone could have been there Sunday also or instead.

Dan

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
The new AC/AS series of Lamiglas IM7 are an excellent value for the dollar and are available in a wide range of actions.

As a bonus, you would be supporting an Ifish sponsor and a local, NW company!

Win, win, win....! :wink:

[ 05-15-2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by DepoeBayDan:
....... when I sat them up against the back of the van and me and Bob got side tracked when tourist were checking out our fish from the rocks and I forgot I didn't put them in the van.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Dang tourist, anyway....... :hoboy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts