IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in law has been trolling with the old standby nightcrawler harness and bottom walker type weight. He has been catching mostly smaller fish. I am thinking pulling some type of lure would give him a better shot at larger Walleye.
Any recommendations?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My brother in law has been trolling with the old standby nightcrawler harness and bottom walker type weight. He has been catching mostly smaller fish. I am thinking pulling some type of lure would give him a better shot at larger Walleye.
Any recommendations?
Thanks
I saw a show on TV recently and these guys had trolling on Columbia for large walleyes down pat. They were upriver from John Day Dam miles and trolled at night. They had long, deep diving crankbaits in the stragest colors and patterns I have ever seen. Purple with chartreuse spots, white with black, red, green spots. Nothing that even resembled a baitfish coloration. scent was applied to all lures. I order some things from the Midwest. The Musky Shop in Minoqua, Wisconsin is the most unbelievable store for musky gear of course, but they have everything for walleyes too. I have been in the store. Call them and get a catalog and talk to knowledgeable staff. They’ll get you some good stuff. I guarantee they have crap you will never see inOregon.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I saw a show on TV recently and these guys had trolling on Columbia for large walleyes down pat. They were upriver from John Day Dam miles and trolled at night. They had long, deep diving crankbaits in the stragest colors and patterns I have ever seen. Purple with chartreuse spots, white with black, red, green spots. Nothing that even resembled a baitfish coloration. scent was applied to all lures. I order some things from the Midwest. The Musky Shop in Minoqua, Wisconsin is the most unbelievable store for musky gear of course, but they have everything for walleyes too. I have been in the store. Call them and get a catalog and talk to knowledgeable staff. They’ll get you some good stuff. I guarantee they have crap you will never see inOregon.
I just visited their site. Nothing says “for walleyes” but their selection of big crank baits is insane. How about an11inch jointed, 7 ounce ,handmade walleye imitation? Only $99.99. One bait I would recommend is the Bucher jointed depth raider. Big bait that trolls at about 15-18 ft. Many colors and I have fished it for pike and big walleyes in Canada. Less than $30 I THINK.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bandits , reef runners, phantom etc. All work. each one has a different action and dives to different depths. The season for catching the larger ones has passed. The occasional large one can be found but targeting large females on a consistent basis is a cold water tactic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Berkley flicker shad size #9. Buy 5 or 6 different colors. Use with leaded line. You will out fish worm harnesses 5 to 1 for bigger walleye on the Columbia. My 2 cents. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts