IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Eugene Register-Guard newspaper's outdoors coverage has been once a week (thursdays). Mike Stahlberg has done a good job of covering fishing & hunting affairs...but in 1989 the R-G editors decided to include "all forms of outdoor recreation" in Stahlberg's beat...hence kayaking, mtn bikes, etc. Now, they have decided golf is an outdoor sport and one week a month the thursday outdoor sports section will be about golf. The paper cites an Oregon Parks & Rec. Dept survey that shows Oregonian's #1 outdoor activity is automobile rides for scenic/driving pleasure. Other top scorers were walking for fun, birdwatching, power boating,.....golf came at #7. Neither fishing or hunting were among the top 10 activities. Twice as many Oregonians (16%) played golf compared to 8% who either fished or hunted.

Stahlberg concluded his report with "If you're not convinced of (golf's popularity), consider what the hunting & fishing writer does on his days off: FORE!"

:shrug:

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I heard a story some years back of a consultant to fly fishing stores giving a speech at a trade show. He put up a picture of Tiger Woods. "Gentlemen," he said, "this is your enemy!" Apparently golf is the biggest competitor to flyfishing for the dollars of the middle aged guy. I live in testimony to that statement.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm right there with ya Fish4life. The more people out wasting their time chasing a little ball around, the less people crowding my fishing holes, taking my fish, littering the banks with Stren, buying the last good colored kwikfish, etc.

On the other hand, I've heard that golf courses are one of the worst environmental transgressors out there. They suck tons of water out of the rivers and creeks and dump a lot of fertilizer on those pretty green strips of grass for those folks chasing little white balls...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Some of those ponds on the golf course are way underfished! :grin: Although you do get funny looks when every time you get around water, out comes the "special" club (with the lure attached).

Scott

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
As anyone with any statistical backgound knows, surveys can be made to show anything. I highly doubt their results.......there is a lot of rural folks that hunt and fish that would never be exposed to any type of survey.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's right Fishnruss...yesterday I drove up Hwy 99 and there were more angler's cars in the Junction City Pond parking lot than there were golfer's cars in the nearby Fiddler's Green golfcourse lot. The big difference, I guess, is the golfers are spending substantially more :bowdown: money on thier pastime than those fishing JC Pond.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
Roy, not gonna let that one slip by.
The only things normal from Tillamook are
Milk, Cheese and fertilizer (dairy variety) and
you DON'T smell like milk or cheddar. :tongue: .
More like femunda cheese.
Have you caught a springer lately?

[ 05-16-2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: NEUTRON ]

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
No one has approached the thought that fishing and hunting did not place in the top 10. I believe the state has done all they can to screw up the hunting seasons with their draws, permits and other money making ideas that most of us don't bother to buy a hunting license anymore. And for the fishing, they are working at taking that away as well. They are trying to make both a Kings Sport.

Now, being somewhat of a heavy hitter of the golf ball myself, I feel that I can talk for the bunch of us; Golf is a great game and in my book it comes in second place to fishing. I have several friend that play lots of golf and do not hunt or fish. They brag about their scores and all their BIRDIES. I always tell them,

"YOU CANNOT EAT THOSE BIRDIES".

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Premium Member
22,173 Posts
I was on the golf team in high school.
That said, just take a look at the ads and then address y our favorite tackle shop managers...
I think there probably are more anglers than golfers in the state.
As for the survey, it's possible fishing and hunting weren't even on the survey questions.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gee Bill, I was on my high school golf team, too. :wink:

Nothing wrong with golf...its just another game...an artificial, imitatative form of fishing/hunting...perfectly suitable for people living in suburbia where all the wild habitat has been turned into housing developments and strip malls...places like New Jersey. But here in Oregon, where Joe Q. Public still has the opportunity for real outdoor recreation, golf seems somehow out of place...a bit contrived...phoney...a shallow substitute for the actual item.

Still have my clubs but haven't swung one in quite a while. :cool:

·
Registered
307 Posts
After being an on-again, off-again duffer, I'll be the first to admit my addiction to the game. The best way to put he golf vs fishing issue in perspective is from the slogan of my Fishing for Life support group.-------"Never trust a sport where water is a hazard!"

·
Premium Member
22,173 Posts
You're scaring me John.
I actually still love golf and would play if I weren't less passionate about fishing and hunting. At an outdoor writer's conference in Florida once, I watched Mark Freeman get a rise from an alligator on a dry fly in a water hazard (well-named there) between two holes...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hey Gutshot & Bill,
I was on the High School Golf team also - in Tillamook. Wasn't very good though - usually at the bottom of the list. Still had fun and kept me out of some trouble. I own a set of golf clubs that I haven't used in years. Maybe I should sell them.

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey Gutshotape, I too am from Junction City and I drive to work every morning at 4:45am down hwy 99 and I always see people fishing at the junction city pond and nobody playing golf by lantern light or fire.
:shrug: DM

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I've played golf for a long time and continue to divide my time between golf and fishing along with other pursuits. The pro at the golf course I play at is a licensed fishing guide. The previous pro is an excellent fisherman and since retiring from the PGA is now a licensed guide with a small fishing lodge on Kodiak Island. Jon Peterson

Point is, you don't have to exclude one to be avid at another. I enjoy them both for their own reasons. I even find time for my other interests, like my wife and kids for instance.

[ 05-18-2003, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Pitch Pocket ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
rknh2o,

The more people out wasting their time chasing a little ball around, the less people crowding my fishing holes, taking my fish, littering the banks with Stren, buying the last good colored kwikfish, etc.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Actually it doesn't work that way in the real world. The fewer fishermen the less preservation/restoration of fishing grounds and fish...no constituency.

You end up with the bassackwards arguments you see here where folks don't want the salmon population restored because it will mean more fishermen in their "spot".

Me...I'm for mo'fish, mo'fishermen.

Brion

1 - 19 of 19 Posts