IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to reapply gluvit on my DB. What is the best way to remove the old? I purchased the boat used and who ever applied it the first time did a real sloppy job. I would like to remove it and reapply some new. Also what is the difference between gluvit and coat-it? What do you prefer? Any advice would help. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Gluvit, you have to remove it to bare metal.

Coat-it, as I'm told, you only have to rough it up with sandpaper to re-coat. (I'll find out soon as that's what's on the bottome of my DB and I want to re-do it this summer.)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have a wood boat that I just applied Coat-it to last night. When I looked at the two products the big difference I found between them was that to apply Gluv-it you have to strip everything off the material down to (in my case) bare wood before you could apply it. Coat-it is capable of going over most existing finishes with some prep work.

I would say both products are probably going to do what you want them to do in the water. By the way, there have been a number of threads in the last year discussing both of these products. You might make a run through the search.

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Getting the old stuff off is a real pain. Some have used soda blasting and walnut shell blasting firms to remove it. I use Coat it on my DB and like it. Just have to have a warm boat and day to apply that stuff.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you have to do it by hand and not the above mentioned blasting methods, a very stiff scraper (like putty knife only thicker) and a rubber mallet to work under the gluvit and pry it up. Lots of work. Good luck with it.

Or you could just take it down the Wilson River right now from Siskeyville to Sollie Smith... :wink:

Bill

[ 06-18-2003, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Wet_Willy ]

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
You might try Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy remover. (be careful, it eats the brush you use to apply it with :shocked: )

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I usually use rocks to remove it, although sharp areas on my trailer will also work. :grin:

Actually, I had the same problem and never did find anything that would remove it besides aging. I'm about due for a recoat and I'll most likely be using Coat-it.

Wish I cudda been more help. :shrug:

Skein

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got to re-do my driftboat, too. Why should I even consider using Gluvit when re-applications of Coat-it will be so much easier?

·
Registered
676 Posts
me and my fishing partner(fishingusa) just did two applications of coat-it and were very impressed with this product,we did it on a very warm day 85+the first coat we applied with a quality squege pour the whole can of coat-it on(after stirring it really well making sure all the sludge on bottom was mixed well)and spread it on working it into all the seams and making it as even as possiable after a couple days we scuffed with 100 grit and then applied 2nd coat with a quality roller and it came out great just work fast it begins to start setting up in 20_25 minutes but is plenty of time to get it all worked in

·
Registered
125 Posts
Coat-it The bear and I did a little reseach on here and came up with coat-it. As for you main question on removal not going be much help, but when your ready to apply,and if you do choose coat-it feel to give (the bear) or myself a yell, be glad to help you out. Here's a photo of our DB bottom after two coats. chris

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So let me get this right to remove gluvit I will need a hammer and chisel. Sounds like a lot of work. That sucks, O well it needs to be done. Thanks guys for all the info.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
when I re-did my boat with Gluvit, I used an angle grinder with a wire wheel on it. I first used a putty knife to pry up the loose pieces. The wire wheel works well at grinding the old down, and feathering the edges where I chipped it off. Wear some kind of face mask/respirator because it makes a lot of fine dust that I am SURE is not good to breathe. Also make sure to apply the new coating to a warm surface.

RF

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I stripped the bottom of my DB down to bare metal with a chisel and a stripper that went in a drill motor. If I would have known what I was getting into, I think I would have drug if down a gravel road to help me get started, it took a couple of evenings of hard work, but I got it done. After I was done the thought came to me, would a brush type flame from a blow torch have made my job really easy? I know what I'll try next time. Good luck!~!

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
Since Gluvit is Epoxy, I'd be really surprised if it really has to be removed. Wouldn't the Epoxy just stick to the other Epoxy as long as it was clean?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Please be careful when removing this stuff. Use a respirator as the dust is truly toxic. Wear clothing you can either throw away or immediately wash while still wearing the respirator. I took mine off my aluminum boat with a grinder. It took a long time but I got a nice job out of it.
One additional difference between gluvit and coat it is that Coat it has graphite in the mix which makes it very slick when going over rocks. Very nice stuff.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
gluvit has to be taken down to orignal boat bottom or bottom skid plate? That's news to me. I've got an 1968 drift boat. I was told by the orignal owner that before I apply the gluvit that I should slightly sand the old layer of gluvit before lay a new coat on. I did as instructed, not one but two applicatons. Lightly sanding between the two coats. it's as smooth as a baby's behind.

·
Registered
101 Posts
When I did my boat, I used a heat gun and a putty knife to remove the old glovit. The thicker stuff peeled right off, but the real thin stuff was a pain. BTW I used coat-it to redo it. It turned out great.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If the boat is metal, you can use a propane torch to heat it up and scrape it off. A heat gun, as mentioned above, would probably work also.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts