IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to do a few things to my driftboat and one of them is to patch up the chipped out areas on the bottom. It was treated with gluvit and still has a good thick coat over most of it, but I've had a few, uh, incidents with rocks that have chipped it down to the aluminum in a few places. I'm planning on patching it with either gluvit or coat-it.
This is my question: Is it a bad idea to coat the outside of the chines with gluvit (or coat-it)? It seems like it would help for the occasional "sideways slam" that of couse I've never done but have heard can happen.... Does it make it track poorly (as if drift boats track anyway)? Is there some hidden problem? I don't see why you wouldn't coat the bottom and maybe the lower 3 inches all the way around the sides- thought?

thanks,
Kit

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I did the chines on my old Alumaweld...but it was moreso for color co-ordination.

Don't think you'd benefit from it, cause as soon as you bang something...it'll probably flake off.

They do make dyes to tint your Gluvit (or they USED to anyway).

Mark

·
Registered
395 Posts
Forkhorn how you been?
Recently got a boat and we applied coatit. One of the things about coatit is that you don't have to sand it down to reply. All you have to do is reapply over existing coatit.
We also applied it to the inch or so strip around the edge incase I do happen to catch a rock on the side. Heard it may help it go through the water better but who knows about that.

Just my .02
Later Geoff

·
Registered
13,822 Posts
I don not think you can fill in the chipped areas with gluvit. I think you can with coat it. Read the can before buying. There may even be a seperate filler to buy. Never used coat it, but if memory serves thats the deal.

Maybe the bottom of your chines would benefit from a coating, but the sides would not. At least not that you would ever notice. These products are used to coat the metal surface making it slicker( so it does not stick to a rock, bare aluminum is pretty grabby in this way) not bullet proof. If you clang into a rock sideways, chine getting the initial impact, they will not help you in any way. This is why none of the other boats on the river are glopped up the sides. Just the bottom.

Oh yeah, no matter what you paint on there, keep it out of your armpit hairs!! YEEEOOOUUUCCHHH

Mark and the dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts