IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to put Gluv-it on the inside of my hull of my aluminum sled. Can it be brushed on. Rolling it on near the stringers is going to be to hard it looks like brushing will be easier.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mark - I need to ask a stupid question. Why would you want Gluvit on the inside of your hull? On the outside I've used a brush. The coating works well but cosmetically it sucked.

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
I will ask an even stupider( is that a word??) question.

Why do you want gluvit on a sled at all? I understand on a drifter. But do you plan on clanging that many rocks? Or have I not paid attention?

Mark and the coat it( in black hair) dog.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Ok,
here is a dumber than dumb question, and I have always felt to dumb to ask without doing any research....... Is the gluvit to protect the metal from corrosion or is that a completely different product?

I have a North River and do have zinc on it but don't know how good it is as I can see little marks forming on the hull. Is that typical and is there a product I can use to remove them? Would a good coat of wax stop the salt water from making those little beauth marks?

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Snapshot,
the Gluv-it or Coat-it is used mainly on drift boats, on the bottom, to provide something 'slick' for the bottom of the boat. Bare aluminum sticks to rock and these bottom coatings help it to slide over them instead.

RF

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some pitting in the inside of the hull. And i was told to use gluv-it to fill in the little pits and to protect the aluminum.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks RogueFishr, someone told me of a product to put on the sleds to protect them from the salt water but I don't think it was Gluv-it. Maybe I will go ahead and ask but someone will most likely tell me to search the archives.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
For minor pitting, I would sand as best you can, use an acid-etch wash, zinc chromate primer (2-part from Petit), then 2 coats of Easypoxy (1-part from Petit). Brush it on. All available at Fisherman's, GI Joes or W. Marine.

Gluv-it is hell when it starts to crack, which it will. It also doesn't do anything structurally to the point where you can rely on it. If your pitting is really bad, you need new aluminum.

Also, why are you getting pitting in the first place? Is your electrical system grounded to the hull? On an aluminum boat, it shouldn't be. Check for disimilar metals. The only thing in contact with aluminum should be paint, other aluminum, wood, vinyl, plastic or other inert items. Stainless will make aluminum oxide but it's hard to avoid fasters of some time of metal. No copper, bronze or carbon steel.

Biederboat

·
Premium Member
14,483 Posts
i would avoid putting gluv-it anywhere on the inside of your boat. it's designed to be slick and that's the last thing you need more of inside a boat. seems like zolotone, bedliner and the like get the nod for inside coatings most of the time. there have been mixed reviews on sharkhide so far.

all that, and i didn't tell you to go search the archives (even though you really should - it's a topic that has come up many times in the past).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts