IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using these on all of my plugs and spinners. Those of you that think hooks should be invisible are missing out on a valuable visual attractant. The hooks actually look like a squid when viewed in low light conditions. They also work during the day as it is not as bright as you think underwater.
The powder coat paint that I use is available from a company in Canada called Luremaking. I would post the site but I am prohibited from doing so here.It is also available on other sites if you do a search.
Everyone remembers the old glow in the dark paint technology. It was made with copper and zinc. The new glow technology utilizes rare earth aluminates. Strontium with Europium as an activator. No these are not RADIOACTIVE.The glow it produces is 10 times as bright and lasts 20 times as long.
I did some experimenting and the method that works the best for applying the paint to hooks is this.
I first get quality hooks. Everyone has there favorites, I use Gamakatsu's with the shiny nickle finish. I have tried bronze and Owner black nickle finishes. The glow shines brightest on a shiny finish.
I use a propane torch for heating the trebles. You have to be careful not to get the hooks too hot. It does not weaken the hooks if done right.I only heat the treble hook from the back of the bends. I grasp the treble with a needle nose pliers around the top. I back the treble into the tip of the torch flame. It does not need to be in the flame but just in front. I hold for two seconds, pull it out, and lightly blow on the hook to slightly cool it. If the hook turns black it has been in too long. No black should be on the hook. Immediately immerse the back of the treble into a small container of glow paint that has a depth that covers the round bend but is not deep enough to cover the barb of the hook. If the hook is too hot the paint will smolder or bubble. I put the hook in for just a second then pull out and tap my fist on a table top to shake the excess paint off the hook. I can do a lot of hooks in a short time using this method. When you have a pile of hooks the next thing you will do will be to bake the paint on. Get one of your wife's small cake pans. Get some strands of ty wire cut to fit over the edges of the pan. You will slide all the hooks onto the strands being careful not to let the hooks touch each other. Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees. Carefully slide the pan into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Any longer and you will get paint drippage. It might take a little practice so use old hooks to get the procedure dialed in. You can either hold the hooks up into the sunlight or use a flash to illuminate them or even better is to use a uv LED light to excite the paint.
A few words of precaution now. Be careful with the torch. I use a good base around the bottom to prevent tipping. Wear leather gloves. Wear safety glasses. Have a fire extinguisher handy. Let the pan cool down before grabbing it out of the oven.
It takes a little work but I think it will help you catch more fish. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Thanks for the insight. :cheers: Are you using the 'new' stuff that's supposed to have a glow that lasts for 10 hours and only comes in one color? I noticed in the other standard glow paint there are a bunch of other colors to experiment with. Do these colors and type of paint work nearly as well?

Again, thanks for the help. Can't wait to see the look on my girlfriend's face when she sees me baking up a fresh batch of fish hooks. :grin:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Steve, thanks for the info. I experimented with some old hooks last night but have a ways to go to get it dialed in. Do you have a close up photo of one of your hooks that you can share? I'd be interested in seeing how well the barb of the hook is still exposed after coating.

Thanks again .... :bowdown: :bowdown:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Sssssshhhhhhhhhh!

It doesn't work!

Really!

But then again, I do it right on the boat. Coat first in white and then in glo on black Owners. Ahh, nah, that can't work!!!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blackdog,
Yep, I am using the new stuff. It also comes in blue and red. The green shines the brightest, the longest.
Skrimmy,
It takes a little practice. Make sure the container you are using holds just enough powder coat to cover the base of the treble and not cover the barb. If the paint gets too thick then it will not penetrate as well.
Fishhawk,
Thanks. I don't mind sharing. They do work.
Hogmaster,
You don't need any help catching fish! So when do you need another fishing partner? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing I forgot to mention. You will need to mix the green powdercoat paint with a clear powdercoat paint also. A 1:1 mixture. Luremaking has both paints. :cheers:

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Well,

Whaddya waiting for!?

Comeon down!

Oh, I forgot. Yer duckin' me!

Bwwwwaaak bwaaak bwaaaaaaak. (These are chicken sounds!)

You'll be happy to know FIL and I made the first most biggest 5 spot each bet at the coast. When we came back to Bonnie Sunday afternoon I asked if we were still on. He said yes.

$15 clams later I am sooooo happy! :)

Not to say I was using a special glow in the dark hook then either!

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When and where do you want me to be? I am ready to roll! I want in on some of the Yakuza's money. Are you out there James? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did have one small problem with Luremaking.com.
I had ordered my glow paint during the Anthrax scare. They had held up my order in customs as they weren't quite sure what the stuff was! :shocked:
It got sorted out. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
This is an awesome tip. Thanks for giving such a detailed step by step process.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
This does work and loks good to. it does take a little tie to dial in the tewmp but affter that it s very easy to do. coated my hooks and put them on a brass swivel for shad worked great. Luremaking co is a great co to deal with had an issuse with an uv light and it was corrected with a hassle or even questions

1 - 13 of 13 Posts