IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had fun fishing with some board members and their families last week.

Thursday we fished with Stew, had no problem hooking fish, the problem was getting them to the net :shrug:

Friday went much better, DesertDog's wife Veldene and #2 daughter Tavia did a great job.
Keith they hooked all their own fish(sidedrifting) and needed no handoffs :cool:

Saturday we fished with Kelly Lomax and her son from So.Cal. and they went 3-5 on their first ever steelhead trip :cheers:

Sunday it was the guy's turn. Had the pleasure to fish with former WSU Cougar Linebacker('81 Holiday Bowl) Sonny Elkinton, his dad George and buddy Mike.
We covered some water on our first drift (BC to just above Oleaque Creek...like 18 miles..... George lives 1 mile below the new I-5 launch and wanted to see this stretch of river)....we hit 1 fish below the Toledo bridge, then ran back up to BC...ate a BBQ lunch and then went 2-4 in the next hour and a half.....was cool swapping COUG stories with Sonny, look forward to doing it again :cheers:

[ 07-21-2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Robert ]

·
Registered
85 Posts
What a great fishing trip. I would like to thank Jenny and ifish for steering us in the right direction to an ifish guide named Bob Barthlow and his assistant Kevin (aka Timber). I figured if Bob is good enough for Jenny and ifish he's good enough for us. What a surprise on Sunday morning to see a Cougar colored boat with the WSU emblem painted on it. I knew it was going to be a great day! Heck, Bob knew more players from my playing days than I did. We were suppose to meet Bob at the Blue Creek boat launch at 5am. My dad is 76 years old and we arrived about 20 minutes early, cutting it way too close for dad. The Blue Creek ramp was a zoo, not to worry though as Bob and Kevin were already in the water waiting for us,(you gotta love it when people are on time). Bob explained the technique of side-drifting(boondoggleing) to us, and away we went.

A few things about our trip that impressed me the most was the fishing trip was taylor made for us. When I booked with Bob, I told him this was a father's day gift for my dad and although I knew that Blue Creek was the area to be at, dad wanted to see the river down by his house. As Bob explained in his post, this was about an 18 mile run. But it meant a lot to my dad to finally see his place from the river. We fished the whole way down, and on the return to Blue Creek, almost every boat on the water, and there were quite a few in 18 miles, the people waved and smiled at Bob and Kevin. I know that this only comes from years of conducting yourself in a professional manner on the water. Finally, we had a very nice BBQ and caught some fine fish. I would highly recommend Bob Barthlow to anyone looking for a professional guide. He is truely a nice guy.

P.S. I saw an earlier post were someone referred to Kevin (Timber) as bait-boy. I would suggest you put a mr. in front of that as Kevin is about 6'4" and 325 lbs. I played against linemen at USC that were smaller than him. Kevin would of caught more fish but I kept slicing my casts over his line. Just kidding on the mr. comment as I know bait-boy was all said in fun. I can't wait to book another trip. :cheers:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sonny, It was fun to fish with great guys like you fellas. Glad you had a good day!
Oh and tell George I might be stopin for lunch one of these days I hear he is a great cook. Nothin like swingin boat in and walkin up the steps to his house. What a great place to live. :grin:
And to Mike glad he got his first steel he will be hooked for life esspecially after the fight he got from that one. :smile:

[ 07-22-2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Timber Man ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
:cheers: Thanks for sharing your day, pictures and a great report :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts