IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my daughters out for a mid week shot at estuary sturgon.

Met friends in Hammond and spent dinner and evening with; Gary, Steve, Jeff (of the BLJC), Brent, Mark and(some of) their sons.

These guys had to drag me around because I don't claim, and probably never will, to know anything about these goofy looking critters.

It was pretty slow overall. We fished the Tongue point area from 4' to 70' of water. Used shrimp and anchovies.

For 3 boats, total of 11 rods, 7:00 am until 5:00 we showed 4 keepers, maybe 25 shakers, some in each boat.

My daughter Tamsen had a leaping battle with a 41 incher that was quickly followed by this nice 54" keeper, her first.

A great time had. Weather was OK.

I really appreciate the help of my friends. Both my daughters had a great time.

Hope I don't have to do this again for at least another year. :sleep: Off to summer steelhead, well, maybe just a few more springers first. :grin:

GRB

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
Bruce,

Your welcome, glad to have you join the fun. It was a pretty good trip. Good fun, good people. Dinner Wens was great fun, especially when Mark dumped Jeff's salad bowl on his head. Everybody got fish which is good. As it turns out my 2 48's were almost twins, big fat twins. Great to see your daughters smile with that fish, hope your youngest was ok with some of my teasing. FB

[ 06-20-2003, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: fishbait ]

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Teach a kid to fish young or old and you will have a buddy for life. I bet that this trip will stay a good memory for life both hers and yours.
:cheers: :grin: :dance:

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fishbait,

Yeah, the kids told me about the "salad shampoo" episode. They are pretty durable and take kidding VERY well. I constantly prepare them by teasing them mercilessly. They both said it was a fun trip. My little one must have only had her eyes open a total of 40 minutes all day. Her and the dog slept almost all day.

Sorry If I missed the count. Guess there was 1 more keeper than I originally reported.

It's been getting tougher to get the 13 yr old out in the last year or so, but it was some quality "daddy time" and her and I had a great talk on the way home.

Did you guys manage to finish off the 20lb pie yesterday?

Let's do it again some time!

GRB

·
Registered
784 Posts
GRB - good report and nice picture. Isn't it great to share such moments with our kids? I'll live my memories of this year's trip with my sons until next June when we do it all over again in the Astoria area. What a kick! :dance:

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey "Master-O-Swine",

Every day I take my kids fishing is my Birthday. :grin: .."Go Bruce, It's not your birthday, but go anyway"..

Notice I took the pic, so I didn't have to use that birthday line on anybody. :laugh:

No offense, but whenever I grab one of those nasty sucker fish, the last thing I think is "nice feesh"

Now I'm trying to accumilate all the advice from people who eat these things...cut off fat...soak in milk...beat on a board...throw away fish...eat board...etc

We're gonna try it again, but if it still tastes like sturgon, I'm going 100% C&R on the creepy lookin things.

Think I'll grill some surf and turf (springer and elk steaks) tonight while the sucker fish ferments. :cheers:

GRB

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Flatfish summarized it in an email to me today:

"They stink when you catch them. What do you expect them to taste like?"
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OK, so really he was writing about shad (which I TOTALLY agree with him on).

I don't personally quite share your disdain for the scum sucking bottom dwellers of the deep, but then again I follow Nanook's advice and try to scrape most of the Mercury off before cooking them!

OK, so it wasn't your birthday and it wasn't a nice fish. Feel better now? :grin: :grin:

:cheers:

[ 06-20-2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Hogmaster ]

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nanook,

I tried your method of "Cut away everything that even looks colored, leaving only the best white meat." and ended up with a piece the size of a golf ball :shocked: :laugh:

Just playin. As directed, I have trimmed the fillets and have them soaking in whole milk in the fridge. Have some instructions from Fishbait on deep frying and we intend to give that a shot, and maybe smoke a small test batch.

Sheesh, hope these smelly spiny things are worth it.

Pig-Daddy, "disdain for the scum sucking bottom dwellers of the deep" may have been a little severe. They just aren't pretty, smell nice and taste as good as salmonids IM not very HO.

GRB

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
What has this world come to GRB chasing gators. Tell your daughters congrats. I am working on our little project, Hopefully we can have some results this weekend.
Tight Lines
WRO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.