IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a report on how the nets did yesterday :shrug: and whether or not they are done for the season. Just wondering if a trip on sunday is worh the time? Thanks in advance.

SM

·
Registered
3,924 Posts

·
Registered
14,700 Posts
NOTE: Average weight dropped to ~13#'s. Might be time to cut down to a size K13/14.
Or it may be that they changed their gear from 9" to 4" mesh...Yah Think :idea:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Bruce...that is certainly a plausable explanation that had occured to me. But there have also been a lot more smaller fish taken by sporties lately and noticeably more drive bye's reported also. (Its certainly not scientific, just one of those things that makes me go 'hmm' :wink:)

I guess I'll just have to wait until Saturday to find out. :wink: See you on the water... :cool:

·
Premium Member
22,117 Posts
Steve Williams said their catch picked up on the last opening. There will be a meeting in the morning to decide whether to allow another period tomorrow afternoon and night, then they'll probably get another season Monday night or Tuesday and maybe another one next week...maybe two...too early to speculate

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
So when do they stop netting :argue:? When is netting over for the spring run, so us sporties can start fishing for more than 10% coming into the Columbia, after the nets clean house?

I'd like to bonk too! :smash: :smash: :smash:

SKP

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
2300 fish - Be still, my trembling heart. :crazy:

I have heard that gillnets can take about 40% of the available fish in a river, under normal clear water conditions. This means that there were likely about 5700 fish in the river yesterday. The fish move about 20-30 miles a day, so those fish represent 3 days passge of fish. That means a fish arrival rate of about 2000 fish a day. And when the salmon start coming in like the graph of the rate of change in arrival looks like an f18 climbing on afterburners.

Time to get busy, boys. And girls, excuse me. :wink:

I have to go. Got some leaders to tie.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I just got a copy of the Fact Sheet.

This is from the latest fishery:

- 2321 Chinook Kept (1107 Upriver's and 1214 lower river stock)

- 818 Chinook Released (589 upriver and 229 lower river)

- 416 Steelhead Handled (187 wild winter fish)

- Current Chinook Impact: 32.88% of allowable (combined main river and select area impacts).

- Current Steelhead Impact: 15.45% of allowable

- Total harvest to date: 5907

- Total Chinook Released to date: 2548

Staff Recommended Fishing period 9pm Thurday to 5am Friday. 4.25" mesh.

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
So revise my prior estimate upward by 30%.

As they say in the war movies, "incoming!!!"

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Wishin...they have kept around 5900. Total handle (including released) is about 8500. As has been metioned before, their 'quota' is really somewhat nebulous. They can harvest around 15,000 Willamette fish, and also have to stay under their impacts for upriver chinook and wild steelhead. Based on the current number (increasing upriver %), they will likely be close to finishing by the end of the month or by the end of the 1st week of April.

It will be interesting to see what the Compact decides next week. If the run continues to increase, they could just call it 'good' and wrap up the season. Currently they have retained more fish than last year, but are still well below what they are allowed.

I guess its also possible they they let them in a few times during April or possibly in late May after the run begins to subside. Who knows? :shrug: :wink:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everybody for the input :dance: sounds like our fishing is about to begin. Does anybody know for sure when the season for nets could be over?

·
Registered
18,461 Posts
I just got a copy of the Fact Sheet.

This is from the latest fishery:

- 2321 Chinook Kept (1107 Upriver's and 1214 lower river stock)

- 818 Chinook Released (589 upriver and 229 lower river)
How do they distinguish the uppers from the lowers? Do they really look that different?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Eyefish,
They are distinguished by looks ie fin-clip and a white bellied lower jaw

the uprivers usually are not clipped and have a dark jaw

·
Registered
181 Posts
Whether they are clipped or not has nothing to do with it, as roughly 80% of Willamette fish are clipped. Black face upriver, white face Willamette (lower river).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts