IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:
they do not belong in the rivers. The more the ODFW gives them the more they want , IT Is WRONG!!!!!
If any one here works for ODFW , step your foot down and lets get things straightend out, please

[ 10-10-2003, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: fish-on ]

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sad as it may be..........EVERYBODY wants more!!
In my opinion, if sports want to put a dent on commercial fishing they must get together and pool their resources and energy, without this unified effort, its just peeing in the wind.
Unfortunately relying on ODFW is somewhat useless, not because they dont care but because they are not allowed to only represent the interests of one side, they must be diplomatic. Playing favorites would only bring lawsuits.

SOB

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey SOB,
Will stand with me as i start a petition to rid these nets from the River?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hey I want to play to!If theres anything I can do let me know.And your correct united we can make a change.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got 2fish,
contact me monday am at 503 7202772, I have already one who is commited but i need as many as we can get.

·
Registered
150 Posts
How lucrative can the value of these mid fall fish be for the Gillys. I would think that a certain percentage of the fish that they catch have only fair flesh quality and that some go to waste. Are they really making money? Is it a tax right off? What is the real deal here?

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
I guess I better put on my flame-proof suit but gillnetting is a useful fishery management tool. When used correctly (i.e. to harvest salmon surplus to the higher value sport caught fishery), it can ensure beneficial use of fish which would otherwise go to waste.
The trick is to use this tool correctly. The CEDC Fisheries program at Youngs Bay (and other locations) is an example of the correct use of this tool. Take a look at the number of sport caught fish which we would not have without this program.
Like it or not (and I personally don't like it) the only way other than commercial fishing to effectively harvest a significant number of these surplus fish is to allow snagging in the hatchery creeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts