IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how much the Gillnets really effect the fishing around G. Island. The nets go in during
the peaks and it doesn't take that long for the Fall nookies to get from I-5 to G Island. The Gillnetters I have talk to say that they have little impact on the Fall fishing that sports anglers do.
What do you think ? Here is the 2003 Fall season for nets.

Warrior rock Upstream
7 PM August 13 to 7 AM Wednesday to Thursday August 14 th

I-5 Bridge Upstream

8 PM Monday August 18 to 6 Am Tuesday August 19 th
8 PM Thursday August 21 to 6 Am Friday August 22th
8 PM Monday August 25 to 6 AM Tuesday August 26th
8 PM Wednesday August 27 to 6 AM Thursday August 28th

Seems like the temperature and water conditions are more of an issue than the nets.

Are there any Gillnetters on Ifish ?

[ 08-18-2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Abalone ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Abalone,

I gotta figure the nets have some effect.

Here are the number of Chinook over Bonneville.

I don't know which are the gill net days. Maybe someone can plug them in and spot a pattern.

2001 2002 2003

8/1 625 642 492
8/2 645 543 390
8/3 593 531 537
8/4 522 715 642
8/5 492 532 843
8/6 609 473 595
8/7 626 901 612
8/8 442 290 638
8/9 617 406 949
8/10 955 1090 838
8/11 1098 941 741
8/12 949 1162 643
8/13 726 1002 1142
8/14 628 772 672
8/15 408 1053 649
8/16 501 1251 706
8/17 542 1264 648

Brion

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You gotta imagine I phrased my question in a way that would stimulate some conversations, However:
I know lots of folks that fish the G-Island area
that say they see lots of fish on their finders but no bites. So are we blaming the nets too much for the lack of fish while the real reasons are
water conditions ? The people I know that have the best succes are guys that are fishing the morning tides. Afternoon bite is always tuff going. For all the fish and all the boats you see out there you would think you would see a lot more fish being caught. I am just wondering if it's the Nets or is it the Conditions. It's still a great fishery.

Ban Gillnets

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
Abalone, you're referring to the Gov't Island area. I have a little different frame of reference since I fish between St.Helens and Kelley Point.

From past seasons' experience I have formed the opinion that the netting seasons definitely knock the heck out of my catch rate. As you might expect, the longer the netting period the worse it is.

And in past seasons, when the nets have gone in, in September the water temps are much more conducive to biting fish, usually 62f to 64f at the surface - compared to 71.5f now.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Abalone,

I know lots of folks that fish the G-Island area that say they see lots of fish on their finders but no bites.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Who dat?

At 600 fish day, assuming that 600 pass Gov. Island, that's 25 fish an hour for the entire river. Idea that "lots" of fish are passing under any one boats's 7' sonar cone is a bit ahem...optimistic...unless of course they have THE SLOT!.

So who was that was "seeing" all the fish? I think I'll sidle up next them and say Hi! <grin>.

Brion

[ 08-18-2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: BrionLutz ]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I think the nets definitely make a difference for a day or two after the opener if you are fishing above them. Doesn't bother me a bit though to fish the estuary the day they come out as new fish move right in from the ocean. I think it's difficult to project how much effect the nets have since so many of the URB's aren't biters anyway. garyk posted a nice pic last week of an URB cought in the Frenchman's area just after the nets came out.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I reckon a good way to compare would be to know the Tally above I-5 and the tally below I-5.

I have fished on and off over the years and get different ideas for depth and how deep to set your
dropper. I use about a five foot dropper if I am around G-Island less if I am down river in the Sand. I have often wondered if this is Ideal ? Alvins and Rainbow spinners. Anyone have any suggestions about this ?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
If you look at catch rates over the years and put them up against water temperature for those years, you'll see when water temps are lower, fishing can be explosive---even with smaller fall runs. To the converse, you can have tons of fish in the river and if the temps get too high, the bite will slow dramatically. Water temperature has a huge effect on the fall fish bite.

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,157 Posts
Brion,
The only flaw in your theory is you are assuming that there are only 600 per day below the dam. Temperature is indeed a passage stimulus and if it isn't "correct" (whatever that may be), the fish will keg up. So there could be anywhere between the "600" and "60,000" but only the "600" will pass. Granted, kegged up fish are generaly not biters, but they will show up on the fishfinder. Passage numbers are more accurate of actual populations present when river conditions are ideal for passage.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A friend at work invited me out last Friday but I didn't go, so this morning I asked him how he did and he replied with. No fish but we marked many fish on the fish finder. He was probably along
side the wing damn at Meguire Island. It seems logical that the Gillnets devastate the fish, However giving the time it takes the nookies to move up the river and the fact that the nets
aren't allowed below I-5 bridge, then it would be more than a day or two before G-Island area
is populated with fish agian. I don't really know. I don't get to fish it that much any more because
I get off work in the afternoon and don't like the long lines at the Chinook Boat ramp. Last time I
launched there I didn't get home till midnight. ( No kidding).

When the river was cooler about Twenty years ago or so, I seen some days at Sundile when boats
at the hog line would limit out in an hour and leave. I had a few days like that. Now that the river
gets a lot warmer I don't see those kind of days anymore of course I don't get out there that much
but many people where I work do.

So is it the nets or is it the warm water ? They were netten real heavy back then too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts