IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain why 2 gillnet boats were anchored up on low slack tide on the Oregon side of the Columbia across from the mouth of the Lewis River today??? I could believe that they were fall chinook fishing with rods if they weren't anchored together and sitting sideways due to lack of current.... and I could believe that they were sturgeon fishing if they were actually near a normally used hole.....and had rods in the water......they actually seemed more like vultures waiting for dark....

[ 08-25-2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: chynook ]

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For those that weren't aware, seems that the gillnetters were in last night from 6pm to 6am from Warrior Rock (mouth of Lewis River) to somewhere upriver (unknown). Those of us at the Ridgefield and St. Helens boat ramps really appreciated waiting to launch while they tied up the ramps unloading fish. Seems like they caught a lot of Sturgeon, and we even saw a few fish drifting belly up. It makes me sick to see the fish comission sneak a season in right in the heart of a run, but it really ticks me off to see the waste drifting downriver.

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Chynook,it's quite simple,their special interest lobbyist is mightier than our's. How else can 150-200 gillnetters control the CR so efficiently,with so few numbers. Until the sportfishing industry gets organized,we're only going to get the left overs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lets all get together and get them out of the columbia river,Ever been to the Camas/Washougal ramp when them (unmentionables) come in makes my hair stand on end.Insodental catch crap,Were is the sturgen,Insodental!

[ 08-27-2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
they fished from Beacon rock to I-205 on mon. and today (Wed.) thats it for awhile.But their going to get more time because their starting to park the boats and trailers in the lot at the Camas-Washougal marina.So their going to get more time for sure. :mad:
Bob

[ 08-28-2003, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: dawhunt ]

·
Registered
816 Posts
gillnetter's
I don't understand why they are able to slaughter fish, and yet you and I have a limit. I know they are commercial and native fishing vessels, but it is easy to see who has a bigger impact on the fish. I do think we should have limits, it just makes me :sick: to see the netters. Why is it so obvios to everyone but the people who regulate them that they hurt the runs and the over all fishing in this area. I don't know much about them except that they are always a problem when they are in:mad:
:shrug:

Cartman

·
Registered
355 Posts
I went out of Ridgfield this morning and couldn't get past the mouth of lake river because the nets were stretched across. :whazzup: I also counted 5 boats, not 2, maybe my eye's are bad. I would just like to know when there in because I took vacation time for this. Had no idea, if i had I would have waited for a later date. :depressed:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Are ya sure on that Bob? My boy's fished your way this morning, said they caught a couple of nice bucks with nice meat behind the mill.

[ 08-28-2003, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Claybear ]

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Saw 2 gill kill boats in the longview area today. They were cruising down stream not sure where they went. Don't they have a quota? What is it and what % have they alread gone over it by.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.