IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think its time to see if we can get organized to rid the columbia below bonneville dam from gillnets. it was on the wa. state ballot a few years ago, but there was nothing on tv against the gillneters but a lot for them.they showed pictures of family,s who were going to lose there livlyhoods ,which is a lot of bull. they use the netting as a side job.i can,t help to question who the dept of fishery,s in washington and oregon work for. they gave the bums an extention to net until the 31st of october,that made the silver fishing slim to none. i would like to thank the depy of fishery,s in both states for giving the nets the whole second run of silvers. what a shame. im all for getting an initiative on the ballot in both states to end this cozy friendship between netters and gamies. i think all sports fishermen should get organized once and for all. i am willing to donate the first hundred dollars to get this thing going. :bowdown:

·
Registered
228 Posts
This is sad. I am at work giving my opinion. I did the gillnet thing up in Bristol bay a few years back for Sockeye. You are right! Everyone accept for a few in our camp did it on the side once a year. Even up in Bristol Bay the runs are getting bad not to mention the price per pound. We were getting $.35 a pound. What a joke! I understand that some families fish differant species all year round for a living but most do not. Pull them out!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
What should we do? Take a bail of hay out in the river with you every time you go. Just kidding. That would really put a cramp in their style though.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Without going into a big soapbox spiel, I will just say what I think about the subject. I f you ban the gillnets and the money they contribute, most of the up river hatcheries would either close or severly cut back on production to the point that we would prob not have a season at all for hatchery nooks. We have to learn to get along with the gillnetters. They have been there since I started fishing 50 yrs ago, although the fisheries could do a better job of coordinating the sport and net seasons as there are alot more sport fisherman than there used to be. We have to get away from the me me me syndrome and see what we can do to help us get along. I guarantee you will not see the nets go away in our lifetime.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Gillnetters contribute money to hatcheries?
Or gillnetter lobbyists push for state funding of hatcheries? I don't know. I'm honestly curious. I'm also curious how much ocean harvesters pull for hatchery funding. If river gillnetters were banned, hatcheries would fold?

When I first lurked on ifish, I got the impression that this was a pretty tired subject. Feel free to school me.

Freak

·
Registered
596 Posts
I am starting a petition, this next month to ban these bums from our river. If you want in, please call me , 503 - 720 2772
I will put your name on and lets work together to get rid of them. We can do it if we work on it.
We can not let the gamies give them more b/c all they want is more and more The more they give the netters , the more they want, pretty soon they will want the whole run.
please work with me , I beg you from the bottom of my heart .

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Fish-bones,

You might want to join Washington Trout and/or Native Fish Society. Those two groups are the ones involved in the only active lawsuit to ban the gillnetting.

Brion

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
There is no active lawsuit to ban gillnetting. Never was either. Brion is not being honest. It was a pesky threat from a couple of ENVIRONMENTAL groups that sought to prevent any more wild steelhead dying in tangletooth nets during the springer season. A suit was never filed, because the gillnetters went back to large mesh that steelhead can pass through. :rolleyes:

Go look for yourself. If there is an active lawsuit, it would be on WT's page. Washington Trout

G

·
:bowdown: Listen to our Aunty M, :bowdown:

You might want to join Washington Trout and/or Native Fish Society. Those two groups are the ones involved in the only active lawsuit to ban the gillnetting.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Again? How about giving us some links to support this statement?

:mad: Washington Trout and the Native Fish Society are doing things that many sportfishermen are opposed to :mad: There are better ways to end in river gillnetting.

[ 10-29-2003, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Keta ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
they gave the bums an extention to net until the 31st of october,that made the silver fishing slim to none. i would like to thank the depy of fishery,s in both states for giving the nets the whole second run of silvers. what a shame.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I can't agree with you there Fish bones.
There are plenty of early and late strain coho around and I find it pretty easy to limit on them about any time I choose.
I would like to see the nets out of there though because of the wild fish they kill more than anything.

I f you ban the gillnets and the money they contribute, most of the up river hatcheries would either close or severly cut back on production to the point that we would prob not have a season at all for hatchery nooks. We have to learn to get along with the gillnetters. They have been there since I started fishing 50 yrs ago, although the fisheries could do a better job of coordinating the sport and net seasons as there are alot more sport fisherman than there used to be. We have to get away from the me me me syndrome and see what we can do to help us get along. I guarantee you will not see the nets go away in our lifetime.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I don't feel we have to learn to get along with the river rapers and no matter how long they have been there it is the wrong thing to do to allow them to continue.
Do you think we should allow the coastal rivers to be netted once again also?
Their time has passed and it makes absolutely no sense that you have netters in the river killing fish that will in all probability make the ESA as endangered. Does it?

Cut back the hatcheries (another wild fish detriment) and that will be fine with me.

Let me know if I can help in anyway and I will.

Dan

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
OT is as much an enemy to the sports angler as the commercials.

If you try to shut ALL gillnetting down, you will spend a lot of money, and get nothing done. Attack the niches that the commercials do not make money on.

Another 2 cents from Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I know this would never work. However if all sportsfishers refused to but licenses or any gear for a year or two the outcry from all of the business who benefit from the sportsmen would finally be heard by the people who make the decisions. Everyone knows that sportsfishing puts a lot more money into the economy than commercial fishing. When all ODFW & WDFW looses most of their license revenue and all the related business start screaming maybe something would be done.

Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
AuntyM - Thank you for the exposure. Hmmm... seems to me that earlier this year, there was different organization named as actively suing to get the nets banned. Funny, the story seems to be changing. And still, there's no suit.

Someone is naked.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
IMHO, you need to attack the method, not the commercial fisherman. There is a very clear message being sent from WDFW, that commercial fisheries on the Columbia are here to stay. Some could go so far as that the WDFW has more sympathy for the gillnetters than it does for the sportsanglers.

We need to question and push for changes in the harvest method not the elimination of commercial fishing altogether. If you try to get rid of the commercial fishery altogether, we (sportsanglers) look selfish and will not garner much support from the public, WDFW or ODFW. I believe it is much more benefitial for sporties to push for an alternative harvest method vs. trying to get rid of them altogether.

By gradually replacing gillnets with non-lethal harvest methods, they will lower their mortality on the ESA protected fish, which will enable the ODFW and WDFW to avoid "surprises" that eventually cause sportsangling to be closed early or reduced.

This also benefits the commercial fisherman. Let me explain: Last year commercials blew through their ESA mortality allocation for springers so fast, they were only able to harvest 3,000 of their 11,000 allocation. This is why they are so upset and pushing for a bigger share of this years ESA mortality allocation. And also why we as a group need to send letters and such to reps, ODFW & WDFW (thanks Pete.)

With non-lethal harvest methods, they would have access to the entire 11,000 fish or put another way they left $800,000 on the table. The entire commercial harvest would have sold for about $1,100,000,($100 per fish on 11,000 total harvest) but because they won't let go of gillnets, they gave up $800,000. Sorry, but if you on one hand put forward an argument that you need this type of fishing to support your family and then leave $800,000 on the table, you are either really stupid or "supporting your family" is just a lame excuse. I think its probably both.

It really makes no sense to commercial fish in this day and age with gillnets. They just don't work with present day ESA restrictions.

[ 10-29-2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: finclipped ]

G

·
Originally posted by Flatfish:
OT is as much an enemy to the sports angler as the commercials.

<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Sorry Mark but you are wrong here :hoboy: . Oregon Trout cares about native fish....gillnetters do not.They would be just fine with netting endangered fish. Oregon Trout is not out there actively trying to get more fish for themselves at the sports anglers expense. We've had this arguement before and I've pointed this same thing out before. I'm surprised you would say this again
Mark :whazzup:

·
Registered
596 Posts
are any of you going to help me with the petition? if not i am not going to do it and set it up , I want people to work with me on this situation.

·
Registered
19,910 Posts
Fish-on,your enthusiasum is very commendable. But sadly here on ifish the name of the game is discredit your opponent. Working together as a team to acomplish a said goal just doesn't happen here much. Northwest Steelheaders Association is far more goal orientated when it comes to fishing issues. That said,yes I will help you if can.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts