IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A cannery in Ilwaco had 2 large totes of gill netted kings from last night's fishery. Average weight was about 25 pounds. The gillnetter could not find a commercial buyer and was willing to sell the fish for 75 cents a pound. This one boat alone had approx 80 kings, 4 sturgeon, and 20 silvers. The local fish cops said there were about 35 netters out between buoy 10 and the bridge.

If the fish are slow in moving up river, the gillnetters will have unprecedented results.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
That makes me :sick: . The comercial boats out of Westport I talked to were all going for Tuna since the Salmon price is so low. I guess they had a big catch this summer :shrug: .

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Its not that there isn't demand for salmon...its just that supplies are more than adequate. The world is awash in salmon....farmed salmon at that!

Remember Econ 101:

supply and demand...supply and demand.

HC

·
Registered
522 Posts
I saw that story in the oregonian about farm fish keeping the price low. If the price is going down because of farm fish thats good news, right, netting may slowing down if there no money in it.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
If that guy had 80 kings for 1 boat, he did very well! I talked to a gillnetter from Chinook, Wa. who fished 3 boats and got 28, 20, and 18 kings and no silvers. Each of the boats got their 7 sturgeon though. Sounds like it's going to be another week until Buoy 10 heats up. They were netting below the bridge and upriver from Ilwaco on the Washington side. Oh - and they had a buyer pay $1 per pound for all the salmon - even Tules. Sturgeon got $2 per lb.

[ 08-12-2003, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: Killertraylor ]

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thats discusting... Assuming every boat averaged 80 kings for that one day, that makes a total kill of 2800 Chinook. Thats a lot of fish to be taken in one days catch and then to not be able to sell the fish is even more disturbing.
Its time for the nets to come out of the river and stay out... Ban all Nets.

Fish on
Romeo

·
Registered
522 Posts
Why would the gill netter have trouble finding buyers? Why is the price low? Is there not a demand for these fish any where? Grocery stores sell lots of fish. anyone know?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts