IFish Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hubby decided he wanted a 209 Penn left hand to fight his salmon with -- I checked Sportsman's and Joes in Salem and Joes in Albany...all gone since it IS the peak season...asked Joes in Salem to order me one. They called night before last to say it was in...I went last night to pick it up -- but it was a right handed reel. This is the second time I've special ordered something from them and either got nothing or the wrong thing...I went straight to Sportsman's and they'll call me when it's in...we'll see if they can fill an order -- shouldn't take a college education to match up an order to merchandise! :shrug: Doubt I'll be doin much at Joe's any more.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Fishinlady, I'll loan you one if your in a pinch and can't sit and wait!
Boxcar

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Boxcar...he used the 310 RH last weekend and did just fine :wink: Sure do appreciate the offer though -- he'll only have to 'suffer' through Saturday -- they expect it to be there first of next week.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I like Joes just fine and here is a good story for all of ya...

A few weeks ago I had some dough burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted to get a new Rogue rod and two new Calcutta's. I went to Fishermans and found the exact rod I wanted for diver fishing and went to the reel counter to get the reels and have them lined.

As the clerk got the reels I asked him if he could make me a deal on the line since I was going to spend about $600. He said he could not authorize it himself but he would call his manager so he strolled over to the phone and called his manager...

"Ya it looks like we can make a deal on some mono"

"Ummmm I want 85lb Tuff..."

"OH THERE IS NO WAY WE CAN GIVE YOU A DEAL ON THAT!" :shocked: :shocked:

He yelled this accross from the other end of the reel counter!

"You're crazy there is no way, maybe, just maybe I can give you 0.10 off for a 100 yards! Or we are having a tent sale this weekend maybe you could get them line then"

"Is the Tuff going to be on sale then?" I asked.

"NOPE" just stares at me.

"Last time I bought 2 Calcutta's at Joes they gave me a deal on Tuff."

"Well, there is no way you are getting a deal here!"

Ok so I left the reels and pole sitting there, drove all the way back to my neighborhood GI Joes in Hillsboro. They did not have the rod I wanted in stock so I special ordered it, by the way it was $35 cheaper at Joes.

I bought two Calcutta's, one was missing the oil out of the box so the guy at the counter gave me a 20% discount. To top it off I got Tuff for the price of mono since they did not have the rod in stock I wanted! Joes told me it would take a week to get my rod which was a bummer since I wanted to use it in Astoria in a couple days but the next day my phone rang and my rod was already there!

I ended up saving about $150 because I went to GI Joes. The people were more friendly, the service was better and I did not have someone yelling at me becuse I asked for a discount on line! :cool:

I think I will keep going to GI Joes!

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I didn't get the chance to post up on the last thread, but I wanted to share this.

Here is the reality in "my" world in shopping for sporting goods. No place I have ever been has everything I want, everytime I walk in. Be that Joe's, Fisherman's, Sportsman's, or some of the small local shops I have been in. Do I get frustrated...? Yes, of course. But what I find more frustrating than anything is that we as consumers just have to "suffer" through it.

I wanted to share two good experiences regarding Joe's.

The first was about 3 years ago when I saw that Fisherman's was having a sale on Penn 321GTI reels. On the way into the Delta Park store I passed a Joe's sign that said free line or half off Tuff line with every reel purchase. I didn't think too much of it as I was rather sure Fisherman's would probably honor the same offer on line. (Especially that they are right next to one another.) So I walk into Fisherman's and head over to the reel counter. I let the gentlemen know what I want and inquire as to whether or not they would match Joe's offer on line. The gentleman behind the counter simply said no. I said thank you very much and made the short hike over to Joe's. Up to the reel counter again and explain to the gentleman behind the counter I was interested in their offer of half off Tuff line, but that Fisherman's had the reels on sale. He said no problem. Opened the phone book and called over to Fisherman's to verify their sale price. With that he grabbed the 321 from behind him and asked what pound test Tuff line I want.
I replied, why don't we make that two reels and spool both of them up with 80# Tuff. I had only intended to buy one reel with line, but given the deal Joe's was willing to honor, it was more than worth getting the other one. Spent almost $200 instead of half that. :grin:

The other was just this Wednesday. I need to get some stuff for an upcoming antelope hunt and was looking for a lightweight glove. Not surprising given bow season opened a week ago, the rack had been picked pretty clean. But, I found a pair I liked and looked for a price. No price tag. So I wandered over to the sportinggoods counter and asked if they could do a price check for me, knowing he was likely going to send me up to the front registers. I just about fell over when he said, sure, let me go check. 30 seconds later he was back with the price and I was headed to the register to pay for my new gloves.

While I won't say that either of these are the norm for my experience at Joe's, they do happen. The same is true for other places I shop. :wink:

Stray...while I appreciate your industry experience, everyone knows "the customer is always right" from a business perspective. Whether or not you understand Joe's buying habits is unimportant to a consumer. Customer's should not have to lower their expectations becuase of "various reasons" that us outsiders cannot understand. Lost business is just that, lost.

While I appreciate GI Joe's sponsorship of ifish, they have an obvious issue that needs to be dealt with.

"I just don't see the value of coming on here and doing it when they are paying for advertising to support a service you get to use for free.

If nothing else, I would think you would want to protect the future of this site. " - Straydog

Unless I am severely mistaken, Jennie has guides and probably other advertisers on a waiting lists as she is trying to offer protection for those that are currently sponsors. While I don't know, I can't imagine that Jennie would have a hard time replacing any sponsors support of ifish. Personally, I would rather have a sponsor that would do something crazy like...oh, maybe...come on here and explain why they run their business like they do!?! :shrug:

Not picking on you Stray...I am just not willing to bow down to the "golden cow" of sponsorship and pretend everything is rosie. We need to be kind and as realistic as possible in discussing the good or bad about any organization. But, I don't see any value in having a site where we can't share our experiences. :wink:

[ 09-05-2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Lured In ]

3,492 Posts
Here is a good Joe's story for you... I frequently drive to Oregon when I need to purchase a large amount of tackle (no sales tax) and I always go to Fisherman's/Joe's at Delta park. I went to fisherman's and bought (10) new garcia reels, lots of kwik fish, divers, mag warts, hooks, anchor buoy, etc... I had over $1,700.00 worth of tackle in my hands. I knew Joe's were selling corkies 15 for a buck so I asked Fisherman's if they would match that price and if so I wanted to buy 1000 corkies. The kid said he would ask the manager and be right back, you guessed it the manager said no way, I asked to speak with him and he still said absolutely not, I explained to him the amount of money I was about to spend and he was very rude and said he didn't care the corkies were still .15 each. I dropped everything in my hands and walked out the door and never returned again. I went next door and ended up spending over $2,000.00 with Joes ( got alot more stuff and my corkies too) and I shop there all of the time now. I will admit that most of their personnell do not know very much about fishing, and yes they are frequently out of stock on alot of things, but I must say that their actual customer service ( discounts, special orders, friendleness, etc...) is absolutely great in my opining and their prices are far better than most in this area I ahave found that they will match almost anyone's price if asked. This is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth...

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I guess the spending of our hard earn money on fishing gear is not fishing related? :whazzup:

Obviously, some stores of the same chain are and will be better than others. But, if one store screws me, they all have. It is a reflection on the company as a whole. Sorry but that is the way it works. I shop at Joe's and will continue to only because they are the closest large fishing tackle store around. I don't do the Salem store at all anymore due SEVERAL let downs even when I call BEFORE I go to make sure they have something. The Sherwood Store so far has been OK but not stellar.

Maybe some folks are hoping that the corporate suits are listening and will get off their butts and make some changes. ( A long shot I know) You will not meet the needs of everyone but it sure could be better instead of settling for mediocrity. It isn't that difficult if you want to be the best. Just because they've been in business for 40 years doesn't mean that much.

This is one reason I buy from Cabela's. Order and presto it's at my door step.

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
Originally posted by 5-Cents
I bought two Calcutta's, one was missing the oil out of the box so the guy at the counter gave me a 20% discount. To top it off I got Tuff for the price of mono since they did not have the rod in stock I wanted! Joes told me it would take a week to get my rod which was a bummer since I wanted to use it in Astoria in a couple days but the next day my phone rang and my rod was already there!

I ended up saving about $150 because I went to GI Joes. The people were more friendly, the service was better and I did not have someone yelling at me becuse I asked for a discount on line!

I think I will keep going to GI Joes!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Lured in,

Thanks for the rational reply.

I am not asking or expecting anyone to bow down to sponsors. However, I still don't see the value in bashing them publicly on this site. Especially when there are so many generalities involved. Do we or Joe's know who the culprit that messed up the special order is? Customer always being right not withstanding, do we even know if the customer ordered the right product in the first place? As for the other thread, how many times was it said Joe's is "always" out of what was wanted or "never" has the merchandise that people were after. If it were as bad as the generalities suggest, do we really think they would still be in business?

I think those that have read much of what I post would agree, I am not likely to bow down much.
I do though, try to be descreet enough to not wash my dirty laundry in public
unless I feel there is genuine public good to be gained. I honestly don't feel there is going to be a lot of public benefit from bashing a whole chain based on the performance of a few stores or a few individuals within a few stores.

As for the sponorship thing, maybe you are right, maybe Jen has such a line up of potential sponsors it dosen't matter to her. However, if that is the case, why does lack of funds sometimes come up and why are we asked to donate? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with either, I am just curious why it comes up if indeed it is not an issue?

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
Let me remind people that the Policy on Ifish is, if you have a complaint against a business, product or service, you must sign your post with your real name.

Ifish Complaint Policy.

We put the lid on a thread just like this earlier today. There's nothing to be gained by continuing this here, again.

Doesn't anyone ever have anything good happen in their lives? Sheesh!

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by fishinlady97140:
Thanks Boxcar...he used the 310 RH last weekend and did just fine :wink:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">So does it really warrant trashing an Ifish sponsor to almost 5,000 potential customers? :hoboy:

[ 09-05-2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
when the service is bad, it's bad. sponsor or not. If they're going to be on the site, they may want to consider improving their customer service skills toward people that fish. That's just retail.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, Stray, if I've offended you. I've just given my opinion. We all know we can't satisfy all the people all the time -- and that's a fact ... disagree with that? I'd rather find out about things like this before I travel 30 miles to buy something than after the fact -- read some of the other posts if you wanna see "trashing Joe's"...my post is rather mild in comparison -- if Joe's doesn't know they're not servicing their customers well, they need to know that -- I've worked the customer service side and know you don't make money if you don't do it well -- repeat business comes from great customer service. Don't think you can argue with any of that.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Justasillyolgirl,

So, if they decide to pull their support and Jen can't afford to keep this place going, will you have accomplished what you want?

BTW, just what do you aim to accomplish with this feeding frenzy? Do you really feel mistakes such as this human error are limited to just Joe's?

You said it yourself, it's just retail and things such as this happen most everyday at most any retailer.

[ 09-05-2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Straydog ]

G

·
I think the better plan is to go to GI Joes or call them and let them know you are unhappy with the service you got.
Venting here on ifish really accomplishes very little. I realize how frustrating it is to get poor service but have found that going directly to the source usually does accomplish more.
Just my opinion

[ 09-05-2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by fishinlady97140:
Sorry, Stray, if I've offended you. I've just given my opinion. We all know we can't satisfy all the people all the time -- and that's a fact ... disagree with that? I'd rather find out about things like this before I travel 30 miles to buy something than after the fact -- read some of the other posts if you wanna see "trashing Joe's"...my post is rather mild in comparison -- if Joe's doesn't know they're not servicing their customers well, they need to know that -- I've worked the customer service side and know you don't make money if you don't do it well -- repeat business comes from great customer service. Don't think you can argue with any of that.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Well, GI Joe's has been in business some 40 plus years, I guess they do some things right.

I understand your frustration and would expect you to complain to managment. I just don't see the value of coming on here and doing it when they are paying for advertising to support a service you get to use for free.

If nothing else, I would think you would want to protect the future of this site.

I just don't see the value in what you and the rest of the bad mouthers are doing. Further, I really dont see what retailer bashing has to do with fishing.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Originally posted by Straydog:
I just don't see the value in what you and the rest of the bad mouthers are doing. Further, I really dont see what retailer bashing has to do with fishing.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:hoboy:

Parker - Lead Valueless Retail Sponsor Bashing Bad Mouther

[ 09-05-2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: parker ]

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Here is a little different spin on G.I. Joes: I noticed that they had 150 qt coolers on sale in their Sunday ad. I wanted a couple so I went by after work Sunday. They were out of the coolers so I talked to the manager. He said that the sale had been going on for several days and the coolers were limited to stock on hand.

I ask if this was a good policy since the ad had come out that day and there had been no ad in the previous week's paper. Basically, they had an ad that had just come out and no merchandise to go with it. He agreed, took down my name and said he would do what he could to get me the coolers.

I stopped by G.I. Joe's the next day to pick up some tiedown straps for the boat. The manager saw me and called me by name. He asked if I got his phone message. I hadn't, since I had come straight from work. He said he located the coolers and they should be in the next day, Wednesday at the latest. I thanked him and went on with my shopping.

A little later, as I was approaching the checkout, I heard him on the phone. Again he called me over saying that the shipment had just arrived and that he would go get the coolers off the truck, which he did, delivering them to the checkout stand just as I was next in line.

I could not ask for much better customer service than that (Delta Park store).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Straydog-

Whether or not we are talking about an ifish sponsor, the truth is the truth. Jennie takes sponsors based upon the strenght of their products and is now considering taking that to a new level which I agree with. However, if the products or services aren't up to par, we shouldn't sugar coat what we tell others just because they advertise.

You have heard Jennie, she has more people asking to place ads than she has space dedicated... if Joes is not the right company to deal with, then maybe their $$$$ isn't well spent here. If they are watching and willing to fix some of the issues outlined then more power to them and any investment would come back to them 10 fold as we all spend a ton of $$$ fishing...

We all have a right to an opinion and Fishinglady is talking about a real experience based upon fact... leave her alone!!!'

Rip'N'Lips

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Straydog said:
I just don't see the value of coming on here and doing it when they are paying for advertising to support a service you get to use for free
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">The value is saving others from suffering the same consequences. I couldn't really care less if they are a sponsor of this board if their service is worthless. Does their sponsorship of this excellent site give them an exemption from doing a quality job in providing for their customers? I don't think so but apparently you do. Intersting philosophy. :rolleyes:

I would rather have been informed about their obvious repeatedly poor customer service and running the risk of having them pull their sponsorship than waste my time and money with them if it's not warranted. And yes, I would be willing to kick in my portion to make up for the lost $$$ to ifish if need be.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.