IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SO bought a new-to-her place out of Oregon, and is fixing it up to suit her. No contractors available to do the work, so I got shanghaied. 35 years since I did my first house....it's not as easy as it used to be!
Painting.jpg

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Yea, no thanks. Stopped doing ladders after 5th knee surgery. Will clean a gutter now and again because I know the bushes will catch me if I fall, but that's about it. lol

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice stairs.
I hate working off tall ladders like that.
The really fun part is working in the middle of the stairs. Put a couple blocks on the lower stair to make it level with the next one up, hope nothing shifts. 24' aluminum ladder, extended all the way, still have to stretch to cut the ceiling beams. Those aluminum ladders flex a LOT!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
agreed!! I used to crawl up and down those things like a monkey. Roof work, painting, gutters. Hit 60 and noticed it wasn't as easy as it used to be but still doable if i had a spotter near by. Lost my spotter and lost my confidence. Now at 68, bad knee keeps me under 8 feet. Anything over 8 and it's call a pro who usually turns out to be someone under 30 still full of himself. I remember that

·
Registered
8,393 Posts
My knees started to swell up just looking at that distance to climb ... More power to ya !

Reactions: dons2346 and Smj

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
We repainted our house last fall, after the fires.
17' ladder to paint the stairwell. Part of it I did with a really long extension.

·
Registered
38,403 Posts
I don’t do heights well. Changing a light bulb in the kitchen is life threatening. Painting a two story house isn’t going to happen by my hand.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I used to be a crazy ladder guy! until I fell!!!!!!!! Smash my L3 smash my L2. I was very lucky I miss center punching myself by about an inch and a half .I landed the corner of my wire feed welder. I was about 10 feet up in my shop at home by myself on vacation.The Good Lord was watching out for me. I can still walk not very far but I can walk. Don't be a dummy a the ladder ☺☺☺ Praise the Lord and the Church of the Big River .

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I spent 3 years as a professional alpine guide, first in the northeast and then in France and Switzerland. I don't do > 8 feet on ladders or get up on my roof without some sort of fall protection because I don't want to be injured or killed. I don't know a single fellow guide who has been killed or had a life-changing injury, but I know two people who have had life-altering injuries from falling off a ladder. Just sayin! Be safe.

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
You are too old for that sheet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts