IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,238 Posts
They should run it from OC to PDX. Relieve some congestion on I205. Hubby always wanted to see this. Even suggested it to Sheriff and County Commissioner wayyy back. He wanted the pilot job when he retired.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I wonder how big of a wake that thing is going to kick up. Anyone remember the Lewis and Clark catamaran?

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
It will take 70 passengers 25 minutes. And it will eliminate 600 vehicles at commute time? Fuzzy math.

The Frog Ferry has the capacity for 70 passengers and will take commuters from Cathedral Park to RiverPlace in downtown Portland. The trip is about 25 minutes.
Friends of Frog Ferry say they could take up to 600 cars off the roads during the heavy commute hours.

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
Tickets cost $3 each way and $2 for honored citizens.
Who qualifies as an 'honored' citizen? Does it have anything to do with 'equity'?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I live next to Cathedral Park. This is a really dumb I idea. Sounds great and all during the summer to take the ferry instead of driving or a bus, but in the winter, not so much.

The math on a $3 ferry ride will never work out. Assuming it's full, that's only $200 per one way trip. How often is the thing going to be full, and how often will it be mostly empty.

From their website:

– Capital Costs – $40M: Planning, engineering, vessel and equipment acquisition, and regulatory requirements for fire stops and seven boats.

– Operating Costs – $6.8M: Labor, fuel, insurance, maintenance, administration, marketing, communications and training

– Ticket Revenue – $3.0M

– On-Board Sales Revenue – $1.3M

– Annual Subsidy – $2.5M:
Ticket revenue covers 45% of costs and revenue from other onboard sales attributes another 19%

– Avg Passenger Ticket Price (One-Way) – $5; Honored Passenger Ticket Price – $3

That's right, $3 Million estimated annual shortfall. Based on their numbers they are assuming ticket revenue of 23 full trips per day. Not sure how they think they will manage that. I cannot understand why our local politicians can't do math.

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
Hopefully we dont lose boat trailer parking spaces.
Like I quoted from the story: "Friends of Frog Ferry say they could take up to 600 cars off the roads during the heavy commute hours. " Those 600 cars are going to park somewhere. And they won't reduce the green area from their little parkette for parking.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Like I quoted from the story: "Friends of Frog Ferry say they could take up to 600 cars off the roads during the heavy commute hours. " Those 600 cars are going to park somewhere. And they won't reduce the green area from their little parkette for parking.
Metro/Tri-Met must have some sort of ties with this New Monopoly........

·
Registered
12,298 Posts

That's my question. How do these people get to and from this fairy tale..........I mean ferry?
Like NorthPlainDrifter said, if it was even close to a money maker, a private company would have done this a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
That's my question. How do these people get to and from this fairy tale..........I mean ferry?
Like NorthPlainDrifter said, if it was even close to a money maker, a private company would have done this a long time ago.
True, but the reason it's going forward....

The City of Portland will sponsor their application for $3.3 million of federal funding for the pilot project and ODOT has awarded them a $500,000 Statewide Transportation Improvement Fund Grant.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts