IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother will be traveling to Germany at the end of the month. I was hoping she might be able bring some beer back with her. Is this permitted? Is it practical? How much would she be allowed to bring back? How much does german beer cost? Any advice?

· Registered
612 Posts
My mother will be traveling to Germany at the end of the month. I was hoping she might be able bring some beer back with her. Is this permitted? Is it practical? How much would she be allowed to bring back? How much does german beer cost? Any advice?
I have to save your generous mother. Don't ask her to lug back the beer. If you want German beer go to Gustav's Pub where they have the good stuff on tap. If this is not enough, try a local deli where they have a good selection in the cooler. I like Otto's on Woodstock or Eldeweiss on Powell.

· Registered
3,058 Posts
WOW... make sure to let her know that that is an incredible offer but I agree to ask her not to lug the beer back here.

Personally, my favorite (back when I could drink beer) is Paulaner Hefe-Weizen. It can be bought locally, too.

· Banned
1,330 Posts
I agree - there's plenty of good German beer to be had right here. You really can't beat a stein of Spaten Optimator at Gustav's. Have her bring you back some mustard or beer sausage. Or both. :food:

I have to save your generous mother. Don't ask her to lug back the beer. If you want German beer go to Gustav's Pub where they have the good stuff on tap. If this is not enough, try a local deli where they have a good selection in the cooler. I like Otto's on Woodstock or Eldeweiss on Powell.

· Registered
975 Posts
I brought back 2 racks when I was stationed over there. Back then the dollar was worth a lot more and I could buy a rack of good beer for 8 bucks or 16 marks. It's either 16 or 18 beers in one of the racks, I can't remember though. I really think it would be cheaper to buy some beer from Cloumbia Distributing with the value of the Euro, they have just about anything you could want.

· Registered
3,286 Posts
as the husband of a full blooded german and one who travels to germany alot i can tell you first hand you are NOT getting the same beer statside that you are in country.

have her bring back the real deal!

matt
So true. The beer might have the same name on the bottle but the really good stuff is bought in Germany. If anyone has had a Heinekin from Holland they would understand the difference. Night and day compared to what we get stateside. Beck's is another beer that is completely different from what you buy off the grocery shelf here. I never had a skunked beer while living in Europe.

If you like chocolate then head south to Austria and buy yourself some Rum KoKos. They are chocolate balls filled with Stroh rum which happens to be 190 proof. Best stuff on earth.

· Registered
5,621 Posts
If you really want good german beer there is only way way to get it and that is to go to Germany. sorry, but once you try it there the stuff you get here just doesn't cut it

EK

· Registered
9,675 Posts
I don't even ask my mom to go to the fridge for a brew.

Duty-Free Limits for Visitors Returning to U.S.

U.S. residents returning to the United States after 48 hours can take back $400 US worth of merchandise duty free every 30 days. This may include one litre (33.8 fl.oz.) of alcohol (provided the resident is 21 years or over), 200 cigarettes or 100 cigars that are not of Cuban origin. After a visit of less than 48 hours, or if the $400 allowance or part of it has been used within the previous 30 days, an exemption of $200 U.S. is allowed, including 150 ml (5 fl.oz.) of alcohol, 150 ml (5 fl.oz.) of perfume and no more than 50 cigarettes or 10 cigars, not of Cuban origin.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
It was those little known small (micro?) breweries found in each valley and town or suburb that was THE stuff!
You know we are pretty lucky to have what we have right here.

· Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Doubt! what we have here in Orygun for craft brewing is nothing short of outstanding! But since mom is going, and is willing to be my mule, why not have her bring back a few bottles of the good stuff:food:
I place the blame on my brother, who opened my taste buds to quality suds, after returning from military service with german suds, which sparked my desire to find beer that replicated those german beers:cheers:

· Registered
3,396 Posts
Germany is definately the place. The wife and I spent a few weeks in Munich visiting my brother and his girlfriend a few years ago. We went for a drive in the Alps one day and ended up down near Oberamagau. We stopped to look at this old church built in the 1300's and right on the door was a sign saying to go around the back and you could get beer from the Monks at the monistary. Wow! Some of the best I have ever had.

· Registered
975 Posts
as the husband of a full blooded german and one who travels to germany alot i can tell you first hand you are NOT getting the same beer statside that you are in country.

have her bring back the real deal!

matt

That may be true for some but there is only one, Trappistes Rochefort #10. There's a reason you pay upwards of $16 dollars for 11.2 FL.OZ, and you can't forget the ALC 11.3% by Volume either. I bought a half rack of the stuff last year for $82 dollars, and that was cost.

http://www.thebrewsite.com/2006/02/01/trappistes_rochefort_10.php

· Registered
5,621 Posts
It was those little known small (micro?) breweries found in each valley and town or suburb that was THE stuff!
You know we are pretty lucky to have what we have right here.
agreed! sadly no one makes a decent lager here. Since I had the real stuff over there, my desire for ales is gone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.