IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday some friends and I were fishing around the fishery. We anchored in the slower water behind the island by Beacon Rock. After losing an oversize we decided to move out into the main channel. Right at the end of the island just outside of the back eddy there was a guy in a 14ft. greggor or similar type boat. He was alone and appeared to be targeting keepers. I noticed he was using shrimp when he casted as we went by. We had to anchor a little closer to another fisherman than we would have liked due to the way the other boats were anchored. We noticed that the guy in the Greggor had one on and watched him bring it in. Wow, I told my buddies. It looks like he's got a nice keeper. I watched as he yarded the fish into the boat and then whipped his knife out and stabbed the gills on each side :mad: :mad: :mad: . He looks up and sees me looking at him. I put my arms up in the air and give him that what are you
look. I yelled to him that gators were closed to retention up here. He was quite a ways away so I wanted to make sure he got the message. He then held up the fish and shook it at me. I told everyone to start reeling up so I could get his numbers to report. Right then one of the rods goes off. Pop the bouy and down we river we go. The reward was a beautiful 55" keeper we promptly released for a later return visit. By the time we got back the guy had left and I wasn't able to track him down. :mad:

I'll be watching for that guy. I'll know him when I see him again.

Later that same day we moved down river a ways and anchored about 40yards away from another fisherman. As we drifted back and tied off even with his boat we noticed that one of the fisherman on his boat was giving us the evil eye
. I looked around to see if I may have done something wrong. They didn't even have any lines in the water. They were all talking and looking at us. I didn't see any reason for it so we decided to fish. :shrug: About five minutes later the guy that was giving us the worst of the looks has his rod ready to cast. With another of his dirty looks our way he brought his rod back and to the side to cast. He then gave it a flip and to our surprise and his dismay the bait, weight and rod went flying about fifteen feet behind the boat. The look on his face was absoultely priceless. His jaw hit him in the knees and his hands were hanging palms out in the same general area. After giving us all those dirty looks and then doing something like this I can only imagine the embarrasement he must be feeling. To make matters worse. I don't believe it was even his rod. The captain of the boat appeared to be rather upset as well. Even with all the dirty looks I wouldn't have wished something like this on him. Carma does have a way of catching up people though. I am a firm believer in Carma. Enough Rambling. Thankyou for listening.

SPACE

·
Registered
140 Posts
sounds like you had your first encounter with the (Country of origin deleted). me and my wife watched a boat load of them keeping shakers in the channel saterday 5/24. called statepolice must not have been important.no one showedfor 2hours then they left laghing as they passed by us throwing carcases in the water.

[ 05-26-2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
We have the same problem with them out here, poaching deer. For some reason, they think that rules don't apply to them.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Listening to the scanner about 15 minutes ago, and they sent someone up to Robbins Island.

There was a report that two "Russians" were confronted, and they threatened someone with a knife.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
What I posted was all I heard. You hear stuff on the scanner that you never see in the paper, or on the news. Could be that a lot of it isn't checked out.

They did mention however that there was a 4 door Saturn involved.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Poaching sucks! I'm promising to keep the digital camera w/zoom closeby this year. Anybody I see ruining our chances of having a "real" season is going to have their mug posted on this site & others for all to see & harass! :mad:

Full Freezer

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Country of origin has nothing to do with it. A poacher is a poacher. I am certain that there are poachers of every race, including good ol' boys.

The important thing is that we report all poachers. Get a license or boat registration number. Get pictures if you can without endangering your safety. If the "perps" are acting in a threatening manner or are armed the police would like to know that as well.

It is not about race. It is about criminals stealing our resources. Keep those TIP numbers in your cell phone and make that call.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I agree with crabbait, a poacher is a poacher.

I hesitated to put Russian in my original message, but decided to enclose it in quotes since that is exactly what I heard on the scanner.

I have seen questionable behavior from every type of person, and when there is no doubt, calls will be made.

Last year we witnessed a nice keeper boated near us at Tongue Point, and a few minutes later a smaller fish was floating belly up downcurrent. We are 85% sure they were upgrading, but didn't have the 100% we needed to make the call.

Thanks to Full Freezer, I now know what to do with my old digital camera!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
We need to get losers like this out of the rivers. Poaching like that is simply ridiculous. If they are here illegally, then we should deport them. I am not saying that it is always foreigners either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts