IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I had a lousy springer season!
Usually, I pick my favorite pic and put it on my archives.
This year I have this!
Click here!

So, in an effort to show that misery loves company, post here if you can relate!

I'm sure this will be one of those posts that just go down the page, with no replies...

:smile:
Oh well! I'm still tryin!!!!

Jen

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just like the shane company motto- "You have a friend in the get skunkered business" :cheers:

Misery loves company eh? Ok. Well, it'll want to propose to me after this then.

I cant catch fish. I learn, I try, I mimic, I experiment, I bank, I boat, I ask, I do, I pray :bowdown: , I lead, I follow, you name it, I have tried it. I cant get into any salmon/steelhead fall or spring. I haven't caught a fish since October of 2001. At that time the limit on silvers was 4 p/d. I had 8 silvers on the tag in three trips and it was great even though I had always wanted to get into a chinook and or stealhead. I have never ever caught a steelhead or chinook. :shocked: Here is where I have tried in the last year and a half or so.

Columbia (at least a dozen times, probably more)
Williamette (twice, prawns/shrimp/eggs/herring/quick fish)
NF santiam (about 10 times, eggs/spinners/corkies/worms)
Astoria (3 times divers/flashers/herring (plug/whole) etc.etc.)
Tillamook (4 times cannon balling herring)
Clack (twice shrimp/eggs)
Trask (two or three times, bobber/spinners)
Rogue (3 times quickfish/spinners)
Nehalem (eggs/ spinners)
Nestucca (" ")
Big Creek (bobber/eggs/spinners)
Yaquina (spinners/herring)
Deschutes (three times eggs/spinners/worms/fly's)

All this....Idunno, maybe 600/800 water hours or so with not one fish.
Maybe two take downs. Only two of the trips listed were guided, one produced the silvers, the other and most recent trip,....zilch. I am at my breaking point I think. I'm positive while on the water and pretty optimistic all day, then at the end of the day I'm just cold, usually wet, and tired. :sick: On the positive I guess, I have seen some beautiful country and met some good folks.

Has anybody in the world of fishing ever had a start as bad as this? Ever? :whazzup: My wife and daughter don't even ask when I walk in the door anymore after being gone all day. I'm starting to look at it as I've wasted 800 (or more, I don't even know) hours that I could have spent with them.

I don't seem to have a problem with sturgeon, crabs, clams, but my ultimate and main objectives are eluding me. I'm fit to be tied. Has there ever been a worse start?

So Misery, where shall we honeymoon?

I'll try the Umpqua down south over memorial day wknd. Who knows. The good Lord knows I'm due...

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,262 Posts
I too am springerless (is that a word?). I am 0 for 3 trips. According to the political flotilla boys, I crackered one (the line broke half way between me and the fish :depressed: ) and I had one drive-by. The worst part is I can't even do my annual Mother's Day shad trip. No biting shad either. :depressed: Now I have to just take the pictures of other's fishes. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Count me in as "Springerless..... :shrug: "

Fortunately, it hasn't been since Oct. 2001 for me though.... Ouch! My last steelhead was early Jan. '03. My last (and only) springer (or chinook even) was spring 2001 though.....

Summers are comming soon and I am looking forward to that. Missed one last weekend.... :hoboy:

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm 0 for 4 trips this year. On two trips everyone on the boat was skunked. On the other two trips I was the only one skunked. I have one more chance on Saturday.

·
Registered
72 Posts
They tell me I have to actually go fishing if I expect to catch one. I suppose I gotta bring that boat out of the garage.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
O for 3, 0 for 4, come on. :wink: Ive caught two hatchery fish and two nates in fifteen trips so as averages go you havent done too bad. Had about 20 drive bys all together. Thats springer fishing. But the most important thing is having fun right?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I was just thinking that I couldn't remember ever catching a Spring King then I recall catching quite a few on the Hoh when we would camp at the mouth on 4th of July Weekend. At that time (early 70's my gawd that's 30 years ago!!) it wasn't a big deal since there were always fish in one river or another.

Oh yeah, I've caught them on the Queets as well. One in particular, a 24#er, when I dragged my uncle ( who was from LA and was awe struck when we walked past a herd of elk) into the Kitterage hole. Good memories.

This year I tried the Wind - I wont do it again but the experience was worth the trip.

Next year I will try the Lower Columbia, probably out of Cathlamet. I really like that little town.

Sometimes we fish too ( I'm trying to think of the word, hard, eratically, energetically?)much like the "shotgun approach". We try everything and try it everywhere. I really believe that a person should pick one or two places where he should expect to catch a fish and fish it until he does. Learn the river, learn the fish, the bait, conditions, etc. Keep going to the same place time after time determined to learn what the experience will teach and eventually the breakthrough will occur.

I fished for two years, hard, before I caught my first steelhead. After I caught the first one it was easy to catch them on that river. I went to the next and had a lot to learn there as well but not as much yada yada.

Now I've lost my train of thought. I'll just have to sit here and remember all those fishing trips until more words of wisdom spew uncontrollably forth. Ain't fishin' cool. :grin:

G

·
Don't give up. It ain't over in this river system.

From Talons:

Steelhead
Member # 1088
posted 05-08-2003 04:23 PM

The word is HOT! Very HOT! This is the best I have seen all year. Lots of boats are pulling 3 to 6 fish by noon in the Channel (everywhere is good from Freds to the Mouth), Troll Herring, Shrimp or Anchored with quickfish. It does not seem to matter what why you are fishing now. I landed 3 today and missed 65 others all by noon.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Hi. My name is Mark. I have not caught a springer.

I am 0/0 having not even hooked into one.

Darn sad. :hoboy:

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
I have been hunting spring chinook off and on since the mid-80's. Never had a bite.

This weekend the tow rig is out of town, boat's in the garage. Next weekend, kokanee must die.

Should be all over by then.

It's this whole "work" and "family" deal. If I was out there every day, I would blunder into one.

******! You missed the "if you can relate" part! :tongue:

[ 05-08-2003, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: lost_sailor ]

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was just kidding.
I actually have several, but I have yet to tell anyone. :smile:

I just wanted to see who out there could not catch one.

Oh yeah, right Jen!

:laugh:

Jen

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
There are no infidel springer salmons anywhere near the upper Willamette! There never have been and never will be, Allah willing! It is a vicious rumor spread by the heretic infidels of ODFW their minions, and nothing else, I promise you! In one hour I am preparing the mother of all watercraft for a secret mission tomorrow morning and I am once again proving to the world there are no such things as spring salmons anywhere near here...Allah willing!! :wink: B.Bob

[ 05-08-2003, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: GutshotApe ]

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I borrowed it. :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I just turned 46. On an annual basis, 0-46 :depressed: . Tho, I have to admit for the first 21 I never tried Springers. But trying since then has not produced any better
. Perhaps, year 47 will be the one....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts