IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question...whats it worth?

Found a 1989 4 horse johnson short shaft which is in PERFECT condition... looks as though its never been used heck the pull-start gears teeth have no marks...compression is good ..prop still has all paint intact.runs sweet

Has a hose and tank and a stand with whells too..all look new.

Whats it worth???

Second Question, would it be too much for my 10 ft wood drift boat, or would it be a good match for tidwater fishing?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
RVW, I run a 4 hp long shaft merc on my 14 foot woody drifter, very light boat, and it works just fine, not real fast but fine. If the shaft is long enough it should work great.
BTW I paid $500 for mine on a sweetheart deal from a friend, same condition, Steven's marine told me it's worth ~ $7 - 800.
good luck.

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
Why not an electric?
They are quiet. Unless you plan on trolling all day, they have plenty of umph to push ya around. They are legal( Jim Ericsons home river excluded) on the coastal rivers above tidewater. They do not stink. Cost including batteries should be about the same as a 4hp gas.

Food for thought.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark...good points.

Think I'd be happier with the electric? If I get one with say 55 Lbs thrust will it get me around in the currents and tidal effects of say Siletz river?

Pros and cons I know of

Elect is lighter and quieter, doesnt involve gas and fumes.
Ive already got 4 batteries in my RV
Longer shaft on elect. easy to control trolling speeds and steering with extended tiller.

I can get the johnson for $250 with tank hose and wheeled stand....and Im considering other boats it might push in the future.

$250 a good deal?

Think Ill go electric on the drifter. its a small boat.

·
Premium Member
14,489 Posts
i've got a 2cyl 4hp long shaft that i plan on using on the eastsider. i dug through the archives and there are lots of folks running 4hp and 5hp motors on their drifters in bigger water situations like the columbia and the bays. it seems like the folks with larger motors generally don't get too deep into the throttle with them. beyond a certain rpm, all it does is point the nose higher, even with the doelfin installed. in general, you have to pick blue bird days for running a drifter in bigger water, but with lower HP, you really need to watch it. in general, the type of weather that would keep you off the water is the type of weather that would make it unpleasant to be out there to begin with.

if your motor is a single cylinder, then you will suffer the reason that most folks go with a larger HP model: they shake like the dickens.

as for going with an electric: i wouldn't rely on an electric as my sole source of propulsion in a bay or large lake. batteries have a nasty habit of running out on you when you really need them. when i'm using a gas powered device, i know how much more "go" i've got and gas is pretty readily available if i need to get more.

by the way, your johnson is probably the same model as mine, only a year older. i had to replace the lower unit on mine. the problem is that they changed the lower unit transmission design in the last three years of the production run and it's a really weak design. the guy i got mine from had hit a rock with the prop and instead of the shear pin sacrificing itself, the transmission broke. getting a shield for the prop might be a good idea.

[ 08-08-2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: ampersat ]

·
Registered
745 Posts
Seems like a good deal at $250. I have an o/b and electric on my db and I had been told that electrics (except the saltwater versions)don't hold up too well in the saltwater. I use them both in different fishing situations. Use my electric on the Siletz a ton for side drifting (55# thrust) and it will hold me in heavy winter flows at full tilt and is perfect for boat control while side drifting...
Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts