IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sucked. Pretty much straight out on the 45 40 line and made it to 124 44 and picked up our first nice sized tuna. Blue water, 62*, logs but otherwise sterile. No birds, no life, no flotsam. So, we continued west. Out past the 125 10 with no action and no signs of life. About 2:30 we said screw it and headed to a LL spot. Picked up 21 really nice sized canary and one yellowtail. So, food in the freezer, just not tuna.

And this was a long day. Up at 2:45 and just now got home at 11:00. Gonna eat and go to bed.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks for the report!

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the report!
I needed your luck. Another boat was out in that neighborhood and did a bit better than us. He said he went further south at the end of the day and found more bait. Fish are scattered in small schools. But as far as I know, it was just two of us out of Garibaldi today. If anyone else was, by all means share the intel.

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, anything goes
1,647 Posts
I'm working on getting a few pre-rigged LL setups to have in the boat for these trips. Seems like a great way to save the day or complete the grocery haul. Here's to hoping the random marks on my map I'm going to go investigate turn out to be spots with fish. That is definitely the most intimidating part for a LL newbie.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Sucked.

And this was a long day. Up at 2:45 and just now got home at 11:00. Gonna eat and go to bed.
Thanks for the report Don. Between your and Hans Solo advise
(Pilar, liked that moniker better!) I think I'll hold off on the first solo tuna trip until we get better reports. Water and chloro shots look great, but sounds like the fish aren't there yet

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, anything goes
1,647 Posts
I think after this full moon situation wanes, we'll be on. Based on absolutely no evidence or any real wisdom. Just a thing I keep telling myself.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
That is not the report I wanted to read, ................nothing personal but I hope tomorrows report from me is the opposite of your experience ;)

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Bunch of boats running tomorrow from what I gather. Should be able to radio cover some water that way. Thanks for the report Don, you did one tuna better than me out of ilwaco earlier this week. Still looks like a beautiful ocean, and I settled for nearshore bottom fish so I could get a couple lings. Hope Roy and the others score big tomorrow and the fish move upstream so after this weekends blow maybe they'll be big numbers by the following week.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Talked to a couple of friends that fished yesterday and it was slow for them. 9 tuna. Nothing inside the 125 line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We ended with 9 fish and missed a few more chances. Hope i can help those running tomorrow with some intel.

Started working the inside edges at the green/blue break just north of G at 38-41 west. Zig zagged through the logs and mess but no life to speak of. I'm impatient which pays off on certain days and get's you less fish on others. Picked up and started running west. Dropped back in on all the rips temp changes. Finally hit a triple and picked up 3 more on the slide at the 125 07. Flat sides worked over flat falls. Lost one more at the boat. Couldn't get another troll bite in the area for an hour or more of grinding and no bait on the box...anywhere. Called a few boats to the area in hopes they would locate fish but nothing. Onward we go.

Decided to troll south and nothing for hours. Picked up and ran south..found big rips with bait and bam another hook up at the 45 25/125 05. Couple more on the troll and another on the slide. Trolled for awhile longer and nothing followed.

Here is the Key! There is a lot of bait just South of Garibaldi. Head SW and you will likely find more fish. Could be loaded with fish tomorrow. I'm confident if I would have started South we would have put a lot more fish in the box.

There were a few birds working the inside edge south of G. However, there are more logs than I have ever seen in the water. The fun ones are those just below the surface. Hit 2 submerged logs yesterday. Inspection today revealed no damage so I call that a win!

Will pop any day now so get out there and grind. There are bigger patches of fish to work we just need to find them. If I run tomorrow you will see me SW of G. :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Sucked. Pretty much straight out on the 45 40 line and made it to 124 44 and picked up our first nice sized tuna. Blue water, 62*, logs but otherwise sterile. No birds, no life, no flotsam. So, we continued west. Out past the 125 10 with no action and no signs of life. About 2:30 we said screw it and headed to a LL spot. Picked up 21 really nice sized canary and one yellowtail. So, food in the freezer, just not tuna.

Wow you put it in the heckuva day and congratulations for coming home with some meat!
I was taking my puppy for a walk by the bay last night about 8 o’clock a little after and I look across the bay and I saw you putting your foot to the floor on your way to Salem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow you put it in the heckuva day and congratulations for coming home with some meat!
I was taking my puppy for a walk by the bay last night about 8 o’clock a little after and I look across the bay and I saw you putting your foot to the floor on your way to Salem.

Kinda tough loading the boat with a direct broadside wind gusting in the 20s but got it done with a good crew. El Jefe called us in to share intel and offered up what little we had - our one fish - and he was generous calling us out to the 125 07 when he found some success. Good sportsmanship on his part and glad he got into a couple stops. That is one sweet tuna boat!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Kinda tough loading the boat with a direct broadside wind gusting in the 20s but got it done with a good crew. El Jefe called us in to share intel and offered up what little we had - our one fish - and he was generous calling us out to the 125 07 when he found some success. Good sportsmanship on his part and glad he got into a couple stops. That is one sweet tuna boat!
Yep Michael seems to be a # 1 Stand up guy.
I mean really really nice. At least that’s what I’m hoping when he finds me stowed away in his boat in one of these upcoming tuna trips.

I’ll have to tell him that I was told that extra ballast is good luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts