IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The day started with a crowded ramp and marina. Anticipation of silver was in everyones eyes and the race to 200ft was on.

But skipper (left) and smiley (center) had other plans....

Without photo documentation theres little doubt my story would be doomed to remain silently within the deepest regions of my memory along side those such as the twins "Rachel" and "Heather" waiting in my college dorm room one night, apparently VERY lonely. Or my 3 month old son looking directly into my eyes and speaking the words "Your the best dad" (But only when I was the only person present to hear it!)

Without witnesses, such occasions share similaritities to my experience today, and theres little hope in convincing even a naive child they are in-fact the truth without the pictures to prove it.

As you can see in the photo below (which begs violently for an explaination) something is quite peculiar. If youve never fished with Skipper and/or Smiley, it may take a second to discover the oddities in the back-ground.

As I stated, the boat launch was jammed. Skipper seemed restless enough to be planning something. But HOW restless?

I was led blindfolded to the fish cleaning station, where I was instructed to "troll" using my hands. The large rubbermaid cans throughout the park had become our first hot spots, and Skipper wasted no time marking them on his GPS as soon as smiley screamed a muffled "fish on" from within a can.
Smiley seemed almost proud of his first "catch" (seen hanging at the left) as he displayed it to the gods running excitedly towards the boat (which remained on the trailer!)

"No fin" yelled the captain, and the thin carcass was tossed into the cooler. Smiley removed his own blindfold long enough to tag his...umm, "fish"(?) and then returned to rest his belly upon the edge of another can...feet in the air.

Wanting not to disappoint my hosts, I explained that I'd yet to find a keeper, but soon enough, Skipper and smiley had thier limits, and we all agreed it would be a good time to launch and check the crab pots.

Somehow, I convinced the Skipper to allow me to bait a hook while in the water in an effort to claim my ocean limit and soon after the sherrif completed writting us tickets for checking someone elses crab pots, Id hooked two fish and we beat the crowds back to the ramp.

After the photo, I was forced to think of a convincing reason why I could not attend the "next time" and it occured to me that willierower might enjoy such a trip being a fan of fish soup!

I left in a hurry without saying goodbye, and as I looked in my mirrors, I watched my hosts exchange grins and high-fives.

On the long trip home I thought...maybe its time for an IFish "open seat" disclaimer?

Thanks for the trip Jim. And thanks to both you and Andy for the hospitality....I had a great time dispite the "oops". Share the details as you see fit, but be kind, the bottom fishing incident was embarassing! Thanks again!

[ 07-13-2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yep, I haven't seen the ramp that busy in a while.

We arrived at Garibaldi boat basin at 5:30 am, launched at 6:00, after waiting in-line for a lot of others to launch.

Put out 4 traps south of the jetty, then ran out to 200' deep. Within 5 minutes Smily had his first clipped coho. :cheers: Then the madness erupted with fish on left and right. Then it was a double :laugh: :laugh:

The wind was picking up and we were drifting northwest to 240'. 30 min had gone buy without a bite, so we powered SE back to 207. Within 2 min of putting out we had another FISH ON!!!!

After taking turns throughout the mayhem, Smily and I were limited out, so it was up to cirrhosis-of-the-river to bonk a couple ho-ho's. I set up a down-rigger and went to 80 ft for a King, it went off twice, and the 2nd time brought in the biggest coho of the day (9 lbs). :rolleyes:

We limited the boat by 8:50 am. The fastest time yet for a boat limit on my boat.

It was getting really soupy out there, so I decided it was time to get the crab and head-in. Only 4 crab for 4 traps in 3.5 hrs (I guess we got most of 'em on Thursday in that spot).

Put the traps out in the bay but only got 2 more.

Talked on the radio to Jet and some other Ifishers, gave out some tips.

Tried bottom fishing along the North Jetty, but cirrhosis-of-the-river caught the only undersized ling.

Still had a great day, with a couple of fun guys. :cheers:

Oh, did you hear that?
I think its the call of the COHO. :dance:

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Tried bottom fishing along the North Jetty, but cirrhosis-of-the-river caught the only undersized ling."

Unfortunately that wasnt the only thing I cought while dragging the bottom. :mad:

A note to all, Skipper and smiley are two great people to fish with. If you have an op to do so, dont hesitate. Great people, nice boat, and good conversation (and tollerant of an honest "oops" too!)

(Thanks for helping me "undoo" that one Smiley.)

We'll get those lings next time for sure.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ya, I agree met them at the ramp. Great to see so many ifishers out and hooking fish. Limits for most people I talked to.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Howdy all,
Yes a fun day was had by all who participated in the festive events. I was surrounded by a couple of great guys to go fishing with. Boy did someone have the food department covered? I never ate so much on the water like that. Everything from yummy Beef jerky to freshly smoked coho (from the other day) to Crab melts to some fresh veggies and Dip to chicken to even some fresh Pineapple. There was nothing to do but eat after getting done before 9:00 am. I have never been limited out that early before.

The fishing was a non stop action packed ordeal because the fish wouldn't quit biting. All except when we ventured off to the deeper water. The Quick turn around and we were into the fish again and finished off the limits. Everybody did great on helping each other out and trying to get out of other people's way. Things did get a little frantic when we had a double. :shocked: I don't know about the other guys but when I get a fish on I get pretty excited. With 2 fish on I could barely contain my self image at this time. :cool: :grin:

What sheriffs? What tickets? I didn't do anything wrong that I'll admit to. :shocked: At least not today. :cool:

Thanks again Skipper for a great time on the water and also to cirrhosis-of-the-river. A pleasure to fish with anytime.

:smile: Smily :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts