IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First trip out of Garibaldi this year and it was a good one. Trip started by everyone on board putting on the lifevests before crossing the bar and they remained on all day. Took a short run to the northwest to about 185' of water off of Rockaway. Dropped the baits in the water and no more than two minutes later - fish on!

This pattern kept up for the next hour, with a total of three clipped coho's kept, three wilds released, and another 6 to 8 fish lost due to the novice on board. Let him try his hand with the net on two nice clipped fish. Bad mistake. Resulted in two fish swatted off to bite another hook another day. He also had a really hard time with the first three or four fish he hooked, finally getting one in after many failed attempts (slack in the line, letting fish run under the boat and getting the hooks snagged on the opposite chime, etc.)

As the wind picked up from the South around 9:00 the conditions started getting pretty sloppy so we decided three in the box was good for that day and headed back towards the bay. Well, that was a great idea but when we got back to where we were directly out from jaws, in about 150' of water, we thought we'd just give it one more quick shot. Good thing we did. Within two minutes of having the baits back in the water, we hooked up the first of three consecutive clipped fish to fill out the limit.

By the time these three were in the box (ten minutes later) it was definitely time for us to head in. What a fun trip though. The ocean must be loaded with salmon. Fish were found anywhere between 10 to 40 pulls (with Delta Divers). The baits we used ranged from whole herring to hootchies to an old Charlie White immitation herring lure I've had in the box for probably 16 years without ever using. Thanks to Captain from Tillamook Bait who gave me the tip about using whole herring rigged plain, not to spin or anything. The rod with this rig caught more fish than the others.

·
Registered
105 Posts
All right!!

Any word on the crab in the bay. I heard there are huge crab being brought in, but not sure if they are being caught inside or outside the jaws.

·
Registered
313 Posts
We were out there also but we got a late start
we didn't start fishing till 8:30 we fished about 2 miles north of the jetty at 150 ft. Three of us on the boat DAB myself and my son. We fished for 2 hours netted ten only two keepers and had several driveby's.By 10:30 it was really rough at least 4 ft. wind waves so we headed in It took us 45 minutes to get back to the jetty.

·
Registered
439 Posts
we also went out about 8-and fished 3 hours. Had five people of board-kept 9 silvers and 1 chinook.Tossed back about 10 natives. Fishing about 150 feet off twin rocks. Spend 30 minutes of that time fighting a blue shark-got it within 8 feet of the boat before it broke the leader

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow! Sounds like you guys had a good day. We went out and did almost the same thing. Caught 3 keepers, let go 4, and hooked over a dozen.

We stayed out a little too long (11:00) and ended up going in at Nehalem. My good buddy Nels ran the 8 miles back to Garibaldi to get the Truck. -What a day...

[ 07-14-2003, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Fishn Fool ]

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
those were some nice fish in the cooler Blackdog. Good to run into an Ifisher out there.

Tried our hand at crab, did ok but the bait all came off otherwise im sure we would have done alot better. Next time ill be doing the baiting while the girlfriend and son steer the boat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts