IFish Fishing Forum banner
121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
Looking at the tracks they have worked the shoreline down from Willapa? Hit the past tracks button to see route.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Quick late report. Took my oldest two kids and nephew. Crossed a very foggy bar before 7. Ran out to 190’ slowly in the fog. Set in lines to 28’ based on buddy’s report from Fri and got our first keeper in minutes. Got a couple nates but slow and no action for fleet as fog lifted. Trolled west and hooked a few but water still 48deg. Ran out to 250 and found 51deg. Put in and trolled west to 260 where we found better action and fishing deeper due to sun. 40-48’ on the counters and 1 downrigger at 25-30’ was working. Using hootchie and chunk, spinfish, superbait all produced. Total bait consumption was one tray red label used for chunks and one can of tuna. One rod untouched all day in spite of several changes, odd. Ended up at 267’ and burned a hole in the ocean on our waypoints away from the fleet, getting bit every pass. Ended up with 7 keepers for 4 rods. Sorted through lots of nates. My kids got to reel in 5-6 fish each which was great practice. The ocean was a lake. Had a great day. Good luck out there!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thinking of heading out on Wednesday morning, but the contradictions in forecast models have me scratching my head...

NOAA has:
N wind to 10 kt. Gusts to 15 kt in the afternoon. Wind
waves N 2 ft at 4 seconds. NW swell 3 ft at 6 seconds.

Windy is showing 3' @ ~5seconds :oops:

But Windfinder is showing 2.3-2.6 with a period of 14seconds 🤔
your confusion comes from a couple different swells in the water. Noaa, wind finder, and windy are all calling a different swell the predominant swell. The 2.5 @ 14 this time of year is a Lully Southern Hemisphere swell coming from the SSW that you won’t notice, the 3 at 6 is a local wind swell created from wind blown over a short fetch and is very common yet tiny swell. Basically that forecast is pointing to the ocean being very nice.

·
Registered
675 Posts
your confusion comes from a couple different swells in the water. Noaa, wind finder, and windy are all calling a different swell the predominant swell. The 2.5 @ 14 this time of year is a Lully Southern Hemisphere swell coming from the SSW that you won’t notice, the 3 at 6 is a local wind swell created from wind blown over a short fetch and is very common yet tiny swell. Basically that forecast is pointing to the ocean being very nice.
Thanks for clarifying. I just couldn't understand how the windfinder forecast was so drastically different that the others.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
BTW, how was it out there today?
Flat but foggy in the morning. Wind never really kicked up while we were out.
B18B2B21-FF4B-4154-9499-4E3A98A9E3AF.jpeg

Reactions: Doublelung

·
Registered
971 Posts
3rd trip in the past several weeks and slowed way down for us yesterday (Monday). Previous trips we had limits that included a chinook or two with this past Friday being a quick limit. Monday was a struggle to find consistent fishing. Only ended up with 3 keepers and 2x that released. Fished from 160’ all the way out to 300’. Like a previous report we had 1 rod that didn’t get touched all day. Didn’t matter what was on it. Bait, spinfish, spoon, flash, naked…. Very odd.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Fish yesterday Monday. Ran out of bait. A lot of drive-bys. 3 in the boat 1Chinook 2 silvers. Cookie cutter all about 8/10 . Hoochies . These fish were all absolutely full of squid.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Fish yesterday Monday. Ran out of bait. A lot of drive-bys. 3 in the boat 1Chinook 2 silvers. Cookie cutter all about 8/10 . Hoochies . These fish were all absolutely full of squid.
Just curious, Hoochie with an Anchovie or Herring?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Interesting, all ours had baitfish in their stomachs. One coughed up some krill when it hit the deck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Monday. Put lines out just as the sun came over the mountains and released a native right away, buddy got a keeper, then nothing. Fished through the tide change and decided to make a move around 10am when the second wave of fog cleared. Water was 50 degrees at the 205 line, which was quite a bit colder than previous days. Running west away from the fleet we found 55 degrees around 290', good action and another BIG keeper. Lost a second large keeper at the net minutes later and then had to sort through a few more natives. Fish were slamming cut plugs over everything else (last year's leftover green label that I was saving for coho), lots of short bites and bait strippers. Unfortunately ran out of time (had commitments back at home), kicking myself the whole way back to port on a perfect ocean - I should have noticed the temp change and made a run for warmer water first thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quick late report. Took my oldest two kids and nephew. Crossed a very foggy bar before 7. Ran out to 190’ slowly in the fog. Set in lines to 28’ based on buddy’s report from Fri and got our first keeper in minutes. Got a couple nates but slow and no action for fleet as fog lifted. Trolled west and hooked a few but water still 48deg. Ran out to 250 and found 51deg. Put in and trolled west to 260 where we found better action and fishing deeper due to sun. 40-48’ on the counters and 1 downrigger at 25-30’ was working. Using hootchie and chunk, spinfish, superbait all produced. Total bait consumption was one tray red label used for chunks and one can of tuna. One rod untouched all day in spite of several changes, odd. Ended up at 267’ and burned a hole in the ocean on our waypoints away from the fleet, getting bit every pass. Ended up with 7 keepers for 4 rods. Sorted through lots of nates. My kids got to reel in 5-6 fish each which was great practice. The ocean was a lake. Had a great day. Good luck out there!
If you can share, what did you have in front of your spinfish (diver, lead, ?) and how long of leader?

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Monday report: Had 4 clients. Crossed the bar at 545am and headed SW to start at a180’. Trolled west. Between 190’ and 200’ it lit up. In 10 min we were 4 for 7. 1 keeper. 2 rods fishing at 25’ and 2 at 35’. I decided to troll N-S in that depth range for the next few hours. We put 3 more keepers in the box and released roughly 15 natives. Around 11am it died. A buddy of mine I called in limited but he made a big adjustment. He put on 16oz and dropped his rods to 80’. We did the same and got bit again right away but it was still a native show, no hatchery. The bite died again. I then decided to go further west to the 300’ mark, we dropped in and had instant action and put more fish in the box. 30’ and 55’ were the magic numbers for us. We ended up staying in that zone and got a good handful more of more natives and 1 more hatchery. We got 6 of our 8 fish needed and probably let go 30-35 natives. Crazy ratio for us. 2 rods fished dicks sure spin with herring and 2 with dicks sure spins with a pink hootchie pinned in. Herring had slightly better action

the group decided they wanted to go get some bottom fish so we did that fir a bit. Had some good action for a bit including one fat 35” ling. I don’t like using barbless for bottom fish lol. Rules are rules though.

what an ocean though eh? Wow.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Monday report: Had 4 clients. Crossed the bar at 545am and headed SW to start at a180’. Trolled west. Between 190’ and 200’ it lit up. In 10 min we were 4 for 7. 1 keeper. 2 rods fishing at 25’ and 2 at 35’. I decided to troll N-S in that depth range for the next few hours. We put 3 more keepers in the box and released roughly 15 natives. Around 11am it died. A buddy of mine I called in limited but he made a big adjustment. He put on 16oz and dropped his rods to 80’. We did the same and got bit again right away but it was still a native show, no hatchery. The bite died again. I then decided to go further west to the 300’ mark, we dropped in and had instant action and put more fish in the box. 30’ and 55’ were the magic numbers for us. We ended up staying in that zone and got a good handful more of more natives and 1 more hatchery. We got 6 of our 8 fish needed and probably let go 30-35 natives. Crazy ratio for us. 2 rods fished dicks sure spin with herring and 2 with dicks sure spins with a pink hootchie pinned in. Herring had slightly better action

the group decided they wanted to go get some bottom fish so we did that fir a bit. Had some good action for a bit including one fat 35” ling. I don’t like using barbless for bottom fish lol. Rules are rules though.

what an ocean though eh? Wow.
Very nice report. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
If you can share, what did you have in front of your spinfish (diver, lead, ?) and how long of leader?
Using 8oz lead, chrome 360. Around 30” to flasher, 18”-24” to lures/hootchie.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Curious if anyone has tried or had success south towards 3 arches in the deeper water? Maybe a little warmer water farther south? Or has everyone been concentrating North / West of Twin Rocks?

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Just a note that we had excellent fishing for coho on one rod with a 360 and superbait with 16 oz at 70-80 feet on the line counter. Most others were the usual up high deal. Don't be afraid to run one deep. I mean you could barely get it to depth and it would go off all morning off twin rocks in 160-200 fow.

121 - 140 of 166 Posts