IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my many musings this year (about our return in 3 years!) I have thought about fishing the coast and living in the Vancouver-Portland area. My question is how do the commutes to Garibaldi and the river mouth compare? What are the time distances and the road quality? I have fished both areas and like them both but am way more familiar with the Depoe-Newport waters, and commute. I would appreciate any insights :)
This is all part of the planning process! :dancingman::dancingman::dancingman:
Dave

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I trailer my 33 from Vancouver to Garibaldi. 2 hours, over highway 26. Lots of turnouts and passing lanes, good roads all the way there. Haven't taken it to the mouth, but going highway 4/Ocean beach highway should be AOK, I've driven that nmumerous times...probably 90 minutes with boat.

In my many musings this year (about our return in 3 years!) I have thought about fishing the coast and living in the Vancouver-Portland area. My question is how do the commutes to Garibaldi and the river mouth compare? What are the time distances and the road quality? I have fished both areas and like them both but am way more familiar with the Depoe-Newport waters, and commute. I would appreciate any insights :)
This is all part of the planning process! :dancingman::dancingman::dancingman:
Dave

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
Dead heat from Battle Ground. Two hours 15 minutes towing the boat if traffic isn't an issue and 2 hours running without the boat. From Vancouver, it may be 20 minutes closer to Garibaldi.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
From east Vancouver, it's also dead even.

If it's not for you, take the extra time to go where the fish are.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Garibaldi is a way easier tow - not as many hills - not as much traffic - nicer drive over all.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Jantzen Beach to Garibaldi is 20 minutes closer on the avg.

Lots of turnouts, less hill climbs and less town traffic to drive thru...

When I go to Warrenton I have to slow down to go thru Longview and then have a few hills to climb before getting to Astoria where I have to slow down again. It takes 15 minutes just to drive thru Astoria.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Yep !!!!!!

I would head to Gagibaldi if I were you.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Garibaldi is much easier to get too and they have halibut there as there is no halibut off the CR:wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts