IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out with the rest of the fleet this morning to a relativly nice ocean. we had about 20 drive bys today.....5 big nates to the boat all over 10-12 lbs. one small hatchery in the box around 6 lbs. seems like a lot of the fish i saw being boated were going back into the drink. must have been a lot of nates for everyone. the action was pretty steady and all in all it was a fun trip if nothing else.:dance:

·
Administrator
41,347 Posts
It was crazy in Oregon for those coho fishing on the coast today! Water temps were all over the board; from 49.5 to 57.3, all within 5 miles. The biggest effort appeared to be from about 220 feet to 350 feet north of Twin Rocks. Lots of fish! I had a line in the water from 8 until noon and counted 19 take-downs resulting in 11 fish on, 6 to the boat and one 12 1/2 pounder in the box. The key seemed to be finding a pod of feeding birds along the edge of one of those greasy smooth spots. Like any day of fishing, it was a great day to be on the water!

I'm looking forward to hearing from the ifishers who called me with a "Wide open insane action" while dealing with a quadruple hook up.

Dang, that was fun!

On a side note. You know how when you're towing a boat you develop a 6th sense about other drivers? On Hwy 6 at Banks, where 47 joins in, I saw a new Dodge 3500 long bed with big tires racing to hit the gap in front of me. It was raining and something told me this hotrod was going to be trouble, so I slowed to give him room. Thank the Lord in Heaven I did. Mr. Dodge hit the gap and spun right through ... sideways at 60 MPH, then backwards, then sideways the other way, then backwards facing me, then snap around the other way fishtailing like a zombie and then around backwards again and off the side of the road without hitting anything or rolling it over .... I think my blood pressure is finally back to normal!

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Man do I feel better now! And not because I almost got mowed down by a truck. We fished from 8:00 to 1:00 had 25 good solid take downs, most made it at least half way to the boat, 3 released and 3 in the box. Checker said about 1.5 per rod but that might be skewed by some lucky folks who came in earlier with limits. What a strange day on the water, never had so much action and so little in the box but, dang, what a nice day on the ocean except for a bit of rain.

Biederboat

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Pete,

Am so glad that you are okay and listened to you inner voice. I used to drive Hwy 6 a little crazy like. Too much high speed driving training and fun on the race track. Slowed down a bit, and now it is so much better. My wife doesn't flinch anymore. And I actually don't save any time. Plus, it is so much more fun to actually get there and fish, than the alternative.

Mike

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was suprised to see several small boats out that far today too. by small i mean around 14 or under. any theories out there as to whether the hatchery and nates school together or do they tend to school in like groups for the most part?

·
Administrator
41,347 Posts
No kidding! The drift boat with 8 horse motor 6 miles off shore caught my attention. I guess some people don't look forward to tomorrow as much as I do.

I got into a pod of fish early in the day ... it was one after the other and eager to bite. But they were all native and each one looked exactly like the one before. The theory at that time was that they were schooled with their classmates. I moved, stopped getting bit as regularly, but did find a nice brat to bring home. My neighbors and I ate well tonight!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Twas a great day on the pond! We came out of Nehalem, but didn't every make it all the way out to most of the fleet. We had lots of action inside 240', with four in the box after about eight hours of trolling bait and spoons. probably at least a dozen nates to the boat and released, and too many drive-by's to count. The highlight was hooking into a nice nook that grabbed a coyote spoon at about 30 pulls. Fought him for about 5 minutes before he was able to shake the spoon. Darn siwash barbless hooks!! Man it was an adrenaline rush though, and I can't wait for the fall fish!!

Tried for butts for a while, with no luck. Soaked 3 pots all day, and ended up with 20 keepers. Man, we're so lucky to have soooo many options relatively close to us!!

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Twas a great day on the pond! We came out of Nehalem, but didn't every make it all the way out to most of the fleet. We had lots of action inside 240', with four in the box after about eight hours of trolling bait and spoons. probably at least a dozen nates to the boat and released, and too many drive-by's to count. The highlight was hooking into a nice nook that grabbed a coyote spoon at about 30 pulls. Fought him for about 5 minutes before he was able to shake the spoon. Darn siwash barbless hooks!! Man it was an adrenaline rush though, and I can't wait for the fall fish!!

Tried for butts for a while, with no luck. Soaked 3 pots all day, and ended up with 20 keepers. " Man, we're so lucky to have soooo many options relatively close to us!!"
You got that right. We indeed inhabit a great area!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
We had a great day also. Fished around the fleet with steady action and 4 nice fish in the box, another 6-7 nates carefully released, plus a bunch of drive-bys and 3 break-offs:frown:. No more 25lb IGFA line!!!!!Then we left the fleet and headed north around the 45.40 (I think) area about a mile n. or nehalem in 207' of water. It was NUTS there. We hooked another dozen fish and had the other 4 fish in the box in about an hour. The bulk of the fish were there! We we were lucky and fortunate with our 8 fish limit. Got to bring out Fallriverguy, and Blue Tip Spinner with his buddy. We all had a blast. Headed in to pull the crab pots and had 10 big keepers in the first pot alone. Good times!
Thanks Brian, Robert, and Travis for the great company out there!
GBS

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
what is the term drive by mean
This is a term used when your rod gets hammered and thing nothing.
Pretty common, especially with coho. With bait they will often hit short.
Or hit, and shake free quickly.
My theory is with a dodger they will actually hit that sometimes also. Making the rod pop.

·
Registered
339 Posts
thanks again i will keep watch and look for people catchingthem in the bays, i am not ready for the ocean yet.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
We had a great day on Sunday. Boy was it nice on the water. We trolled out from 170' and moved around a bit for the first couple of hours without much luck. We ended up closing out at around 200' quick with 4 clippers going back and fourth over what I can only assume was a small dense school of fish. We would troll through it and BAM BAM BAM we would get 3 or 4 hits and then nothing. Turn around and go back through and BAM BAM BAM. One more quick pass and we were done.

For us it was in line weight, big flashers with anchovies trolled very shallow 5-10 pulls. We started fishing shallower when we got a hit on the surface while checking the worm. The nate rate for us was about 50%. Also ended up with lots of crab, but most of the big ones were pretty soft. We probably only kept about half of the keepers in the pot and most of those were just under the commercial size.

What a day on the water!

Tiny

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
There are no fish north of the main fleet out of Garibaldi. :D Sure was nice getting away from the crowd wasn't it GBS!

Did you ever find out who was running the red and silver NorthRiver OS that followed you up? Nice boat, hope they got those kids into some fish!

-LOL

·
Registered
798 Posts
It was us in that North River offshore and we did catch some fish. Had my 7 year old grand son with us on his first ocean trip and he had a blast!!

Thanks for sharing the fish it made our day!!!!

I did talk to you at the dock. I was the guy who talked to you about the graphics.

Thanks again,
Jack

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Hey Eaglecap, nice boat. I have the green/yellow NorthRiver that was in that area. Glad you made it up there and got the kids into the fish. Sure makes a great impression on kids fishing when there is some success involved.

-LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts