IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never launched my boat at Garibaldi and plan to do a little crabbing in the bay this weekend. I’m assuming there is a parking permit and launch fee I will need to pay? I’m somewhat familiar with the launch area just not the costs associated with it. Need to know if I need to be sure I have some $5s or $10s or if I can pay with my card. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Card works in garibaldi, 10 bucks to launch I believe. Pay station is at the top of the ramp.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Drive all the way to the back past the ramps. Stop anywhere near the back (you'll see the bay, the port buildings), usually somewhere on the right out of the way, pull over, get all your gear ready. Port employees don't like you to pull left (in the paved area, near the rest rooms) to get your gear ready. Then continue (you are making a huge U turn) back around, pull left into the staging area, and back down onto any of the ramps. Have someone grab a parking pass using their credit card while/after you launch (just to the top right of the ramps). Go right after launching, then hard left U turn to get back onto the initial road. Parking lot on the right about 1/2 way down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’ve never launched my boat at Garibaldi and plan to do a little crabbing in the bay this weekend. I’m assuming there is a parking permit and launch fee I will need to pay? I’m somewhat familiar with the launch area just not the costs associated with it. Need to know if I need to be sure I have some $5s or $10s or if I can pay with my card. Thanks.
Im thinking about going out as well tomorrow for a little crabbing I have been out a few times and done well even though i kind of just wung it as far as tides go. Ive been told the tides make a difference. Whats your thoughts on the tides? What should i be looking for? Any advice would be appreciated. From ehat i seen looks like a small exhange after high tide in the morning.

·
Premium Member
20,251 Posts
Last few times ive been there it was $10 fee. Do they change it certain times of the year?
The launch fee is $10. Don't launch, don't pay. If you have an empty trailer in the trailer parking area without a receipt, you will get tagged. Keep the boat on it and no problem. Just a car or pickup, park in paved lot for free.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Funny story - I did a roll through at the Garibaldi port a couple weeks back as i was checking to see if a commercial crab captain friend was still out or back to dock. There wasn't a single vehicle in the parking lot. It was nasty out so no surprise and it was December. I had just made the loop and was headed north in the lot when I got a phone call so I pulled over to take it. I pulled off the main road right next to the rest rooms and was chatting on the phone. There is a pass thru lane that runs right in front of the rest rooms running west to east. When I pulled over about half of my truck was in that pass through lane. Now keep in mind there wasn't a single rig in the port parking lot. Along comes the self designated port sheriff on his gator and he rolls right up to me and stops facing my truck door and just sits there. I see him and I just keep on with my phone conversation. About 1 to 2 minutes go by and Im still talking and he is still sitting there. Finally the sheriff dismounts from his port gator and walks up and tells me to move my rig Im in a no parking lane. I just laughed and gave him the "really?" look and pulled up 6 feet. Sherriff mounted back up and went on to finish his task of keeping seagulls out of the trash cans.
Moral of the story is don't sweat the small stuff and don't give the port employee the keys to the gator as the power will go to his head. Regulators mount up!

·
Premium Member
20,251 Posts
Funny story - I did a roll through at the Garibaldi port a couple weeks back as i was checking to see if a commercial crab captain friend was still in or back to dock. There wasn't a single vehicle in the parking lot. It was nasty out so no surprise and it was December. I had just made the loop and was headed north in the lot when I got a phone call so I pulled over to take it. I pulled off the main road right next to the rest rooms and was chatting on the phone. There is a pass thru lane that runs right in front of the rest rooms running west to east. When I pulled over about half of my truck was in that pass through lane. Now keep in mind there wasn't a single rig in the port parking lot. Along comes the self designated port sheriff on his gator and he rolls right up to me and stops facing my truck door and just sits there. I see him and I just keep on with my phone conversation. About 1 to 2 minutes go by and Im still talking and he is still sitting there. Finally the sheriff dismounts from his port gator and walks up and tells me to move my rig Im in a parking lane. I just laughed and gave him the "really?" look and pulled up 6 feet. Sherriff mounted back up and went on to finish his task of keeping seagulls out of the trash cans.
Moral of the story is don't sweat the small stuff and don't give the port employee the keys to the gator as the power will go to his head. Regulators mount up!
Similar thing happened to me a few years back. No one in the parking lot by the restrooms so I pulled in and started getting ready to launch rather than sitting on the street. Up comes Buford T Justice telling me 'no boats in the lot!' Took me a few minutes to finish up and then launched. Small people with a little authority seem to be tyrants.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im thinking about going out as well tomorrow for a little crabbing I have been out a few times and done well even though i kind of just wung it as far as tides go. Ive been told the tides make a difference. Whats your thoughts on the tides? What should i be looking for? Any advice would be appreciated. From ehat i seen looks like a small exhange after high tide in the morning.
I’m far from an expert but I try to have my pots in the water 1-2 hours before high tide and then pull them for the final time once the tide starts going back out. I have the trap style and like to check them every 30-45 minutes. If you don’t have many crabs in your trap and it’s an hour or so till high slack I would move them and try in a different spot. In Tillamook Bay a fair amount of seaweed seems to get caught on your rope and buoys so if it’s a big exchange there is a good chance your buoys will be submerged or close to it if you leave them in once the tide starts going back out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The launch fee is $10. Don't launch, don't pay. If you have an empty trailer in the trailer parking area without a receipt, you will get tagged. Keep the boat on it and no problem. Just a car or pickup, park in paved lot for free.
Ah yeah I always launch so makes sense why I pay
Ah makes sense. I always launch so explains why ive always had to pay.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’m far from an expert but I try to have my pots in the water 1-2 hours before high tide and then pull them for the final time once the tide starts going back out. I have the trap style and like to check them every 30-45 minutes. If you don’t have many crabs in your trap and it’s an hour or so till high slack I would move them and try in a different spot. In Tillamook Bay a fair amount of seaweed seems to get caught on your rope and buoys so if it’s a big exchange there is a good chance your buoys will be submerged or close to it if you leave them in once the tide starts going back out.
This is what it shoes for tomorrow. Looks likehigh tides rises 7.8 ft but looks like its saying it drops .1 when the tides goes out. Am i reading this wrong? Sorry for the lack of knowledge here but want to make sure im understanding it correctly.
Azure Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

·
Registered
45 Posts
Which also seems to mean the crabbing will more than likely die off once it starts dropping at 9:59 correct? Ive been on the understanding outgoing tide can wash crab out and incoming tide will bring some in. If the outgoing tide is really only dropping by a little dont see to many crab being washed out.

·
Premium Member
20,251 Posts
Which also seems to mean the crabbing will more than likely die off once it starts dropping at 9:59 correct? Ive been on the understanding outgoing tide can wash crab out and incoming tide will bring some in. If the outgoing tide is really only dropping by a little dont see to many crab being washed out.
Big outflow after high slack. I'd set pots about 8:30 and pull about 10:30 or after the current picks up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok yeah that makes sense. Was thinking about fishing the bay a little bit thinking maybe a few fish are still trickling into the wilson.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts