IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seemed fair to allow "Skipper" to decide if his trailer damage was worthy of mention here, but after I discovered quite a ding in my own truck, I need to put the word out.

Skipper, Smiley and I launched from Garibaldi yesterday, and after a great day on the water, returned to discover Skippers trailer had been hit. The rear light assembly squashed. Now this is no flimsy little light we're talking about, its sturdy design has a tread on top to step, and is attached to the frame quite well. Broke the lense clean off, ripped the cover and bent the frame too :mad: . I cant imagine the maroon who hit it didnt know he'd run into something!

I got home last night, filleted my fish on the tailgate of my truck, and closed it. As I was rinsing scales I noticed the passenger lower rear fender has a crease about 14 inches long! Its shallow, with no paint loss, but ugly non-the less. Someone even took the time to wipe the dirt away and inspect it...the only clean place on the whole truck!

Accidents happen, but why do people not have the courtesy of leaving a note, or?

I just have one thing to say, I can live with the dent in my truck, and Im sure Skipper can live with a busted light...but can you live with yourself being such a selfish ass by not taking responsibility for your own honest mistakes?
Its much easier to let insurance companies deal with it than commiting the crime of driving away!
Any info on these hit-and run incidents would be greatly appreciated.

Skipper might post details about his trailer, I cant do it accurately ...but my truck is a late model white dakota xcab 4x. I doubt anything will come of this, but it would be nice to see the person(s) find out the hard way that its easier to be honest.

Skipper, if you need a hand replacing the light assembly and straightening the frame, Ive got the stuff to do it right (torches, thread taps etc)...dont pay for labor, Ill help you out and make it right. The least I can do for a great trip on a great boat that youve taken very good care of. (hes anal folks!, can spot a single fish scale on his upholstery from ten feet!)
Sorry this happened Skip.

[ 07-13-2003, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
A couple of years ago my wife was working for a company that did work in Fred Meyer stores. When she went out to the car, there was a note on the windshield. Thinking that it was an advertisement she ALMOST threw it away, but instead she read it. The note said that a runaway shopping cart full of groceries had hit our car, and that they wanted to take care of it. They provided their name and phone number on the note. Sure enough, there was a canteloupe-sized dent in our drivers-front fender.

We called, she was most apologetic, and we got the dent fixed through their insurance. Done. End of story.

So, I guess I'm here to say that "people" DO leave notes. It's just that my wife and I shouldn't have been so surprised when someone actually DID. I had a car darned-near totalled while parked and there wasn't a note left on that one, so I've had that joy as well.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
My truck(2000 F350) got hit a few months back out in front of the Mt. Scott comunity center while I was playing basketball. No note, broke the drivers side mirror and scratched the length of the truck. Even made marks on both tires. They had to know they hit it. Like you said it just irritates that people can't leave a note.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi cirrhosis-of-the-river & Smily,

Thanks for the offer to help with the light repair. I'll let you know if I need help. :cheers:

I have witnessed other drivers at a boat launch, not pay attention to where their trailer wheels & fenders are when they're trying to park the rig. :sick:

I always find myself driving the boat off and on the trailer with someone else in the tow rig. If I feel they're competent, then I'll let them park the rig, after I mention that the trailer does not track with the truck durring turns, so "swing wide before parking, and use the side mirrors to watch the wheels".

I suppose there are others who don't have pride-in-ownership who allow any fool to park their rig who don't understand tracking.

DAMAGE - Another one of those hidden costs of boat ownership. :mad:

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
People often leave notes. While on vacation my 78 year old brother tripped in a parking lot and fell, denting the fender of a nearby car with his head (he's Irish - hard head). He left a note and the damage was covered by his insurance.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:laugh:

Im from the east coast, Ive never heard of someone denting a car with thier own head!

I dont mean to be insensitive, but I really got a good chuckle (still giggling!) out of this. Im not sure if I could ever call a person and contain my laughter hearing the story! The visual kills me. Id say I wasnt the victim in this case if it happened to my vehicle.

Good lord I cant stop chuckling at that. :laugh:

Oh, now I see he was 78...not so funny, I hope he didnt hurt himself, but I guess if he was conscious enough to write a note all is well yeah?

People DO leave notes, unfortunately not for myself or skipper, is it the coastal air that dims peoples sense of decency or what? If someone dented my truck with thier head, I wouldnt want a note, all would be forgiven, in fact, this might be an exceptable excuse to leave the dent in the truck...oh my what a story. Im sorry if I seem insensitive, maybe its my twisted sense of humor but Im in tears after that...or maybe its the endorphins from the pound of fresh coho and pound of fresh crab I just finished.

[ 07-13-2003, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
756 Posts
You don't have to be parked and away from the vehicle. I stopped at a yellow light and partially turned my truck to make a right hand turn in Hillsboro. I'm at a dead stop and the guy coming up behind me wants to get through the light so swerves around me, catches my left bumper and knocks out my rear light and bends the metal all around it. I get the license, go to the police station, fill out the forms, and get a call later telling me that the guy who they have on file for that license said he sold the truck and doesn't know the name of the guy he sold it too. Waited, never heard anything. Had to take care of it myself. My insurance goes up because I did everything right. Next time I guess I run the yellow. :mad: :whazzup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
That really is sad when people don't want to owe up to their responsibility. I know when I parked the rig it was in a parking spot, good and strait. I even got out of the vehicle and inspected my job to get back in and move it strait. Skipper, If you need help you have my number. Call me.

Sorry to hear about your rig also cirrhosis-of-the-river. I really wish people would take care of their mistakes (crashes). Accidents do happen. I have made my share and have taken care of each one of them.

Also Skipper does have extra sensory projections. I have seen skipper with his eyes close to tell me to get that rod when it was bouncing. It truly was facinating. :grin:

:smile: Smily :smile:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I feel for you. I've had my trailer hit three times now and it sucks. :mad: It's bound to happen if you fish popular areas with high traffic. A couple bad launches where I see this happen quite often (especially during springer season) are Milwaukie, Sportcraft and Carver.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
"if you fish popular areas with high traffic"

Garabaldi was stuffed with Trailers and trucks Saturday. I really don't think that place could have taken more rigs. Sorry to hear about your trailer, at least you had a good day catching.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
443 Posts
my fishing partner was parking my truck Sat morning at Girabaldi, and mentioned that he saw someone drive his trailer right over another trailer.Sounds like it must have been yours. He said the guy stopped-I guess he did not leave a number. My fishing partner is on vacation this week-but when he returns I will ask if he can ID the hit and run vehicle

·
Registered
873 Posts
My son had his trailer hit while he was on the water. When he returned, he found a fender and light broken and guess what, no note. Not even a sorry. Some people just stink.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i have hit a car in parking a parking lot left a note offered to pay for repairs and the person i hit came back with a 2500 est for a 4 inch scrach turned it over to inchurance and the the guy droped the hole thing. i will always leave a note if i hit someone and have gotten the info on 2 hit and runs and left a note with that info too. in the first case it was some guy trying to make a buck off my mistake he never did call my inchurance

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
What's bad, is that my car has been dinged TWICE in the past couple of months. Once in the front right fender/quarter panel with paint, scratch, and dent damage, and once in the back left fender with just paint, scratch damage but no dents. These two idiots did not leave notes. I'd like to get a hold of these idiots and their insurance companies.

However.......

Many of these idiots that hit and run actually don't have insurance, and are most likely illegals from a foriegn country I'm told, so I'm not sure what else we can do about it.

SKP

·
Registered
10,704 Posts
Sure you didn't make those yourself :wink: . Just kidding, man that sucks.. I hate it when that happens. I had a friend with a motion camera in his car just for that purpose. Granted it was a show car, not necessary for my crappy toyota. I wish there was somthing you could do about it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I returned to my rig at Hammond a few summers ago to find my entire drivers side door crunched in. Sure enough, there was a note on the windshield....actually there were 6 different notes on the windshield. None of them from the guy that hit me. All 6 were from witnesses that observed the accident and then wrote down truck lic. #s and boat #s and descriptions and included home numbers if I needed more info. or someone to testify. Step by step accounts told me the knowledgable incriminating actions of the offender.

I played detective. Found the guys phone number and lots of other critical info, through the State Marine Board and then called him up to help him relive his actions of that day...step....by...step.

He of course, being a "class act" still denied it. I got ahold of his insurance co. and gave the account and witnesses phone numbers to them. The ins. co. called me about 2 days later saying they would be glad to fully cover the incident and on a side note I should know that Mr. hit n' run will be dropped from their company.

ahhhh...... a little justice. Too bad it had to be done the hard way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts