IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure this little stream is closed to any salmon/steelhead fishing but was wondering about trout fishing. I can't find any info about it or am looking in the wrong place in the regs.
Anyone know anything?

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I believe it falls in the Willamette zone, Willamette,Tualatin River,Gales Creek ...open for steelhead at some time of the year...seen lot of pics posted in the stores along 6.

MrDorkfish

Louis

[ 11-09-2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Mrdorkfish ]

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It is in the Willamette zone. But it isn't open for Salmon/Steelhead anymore. It's open for trout catch and release from May 24-Oct 31.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have lived on gales creek all my life, and still do. there was a huge run of steelhead when i was a yongster and a fair size salmon run. peak season for steelhead was in dec and jan. there are still a few fish that find there way up there but not very many. a few of my neigbors still catch a few steelhead out of it and one of them is a state cop so i would assume its still open ? I did hear a rumor 2 years ago that some kids were shooting spawning steelhead of the timber bridge with shotguns. what a shame to do to a dying run of fish.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Gales Creek is pretty little stream but by the time a steelhead or salmon gets all of the way back, they have come a long, long way and many are exhausted and beat-up. This is one of the rivers that should be left alone because it is a breeder place, only large enough to fish when the rains come. One or two good fishermen can really put the hurt on a stream this small with the few fish that do make it back.

edsr

·
Registered
140 Posts
There was a hatchery by my house in the early seventys I dont know why it was shut down. but I did here it was a privatly funded one man operation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts