IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this topic but in the wrong section. Since then I found an article on the net. What's your experience with Rogue rods.

traskriverhouse
Cutthroat
Member # 6335

posted 01-24-2004 10:49 PM

I love my G. Loomis rods but someone told me he has completely sold out to Shimano and has nothing to do with G. Loomis rods anymore( Say it ain't so Gary!). I'm also told that Rogue rods are being made by a rod builder from his former business. I have to admit, I bought a couple Rogue rods and I like'em a lot. Can anyone bring me up to speed?

Found on the internet:
MEDFORD, Ore. — When Craig Lausmann and friends went looking for what they needed in the perfect salmon and steelhead-fishing rod for Oregon's famed Rogue River, they chose instead to make it themselves.
Little did Lausmann know that what he wanted in a good steelhead rod three years ago would become the newest rage among America's serious anglers.
The graphite Rogue Rods that Lausmann's group makes in a small warehouse near Medford, Ore., are considered so strong and sensitive that they are drawing mass conversions from once-loyal Loomis anglers living on both coasts and in huge chunks of real estate in between.
When Lausmann took sole ownership of Rogue Rods less than a year ago, the company built on a $1 million investment had generated just $34,000 in sales during 2000.
Rogue Rods now beats that sales level every two weeks and is expecting to eclipse the $1 million mark this year, says General Manager Bill Adams.
Sales have grown by 20 percent each month this year, with the company now producing and shipping 1,000 rods monthly, Adams says. Ironically, Floridians and Pennsylvanians are buying more of the rods that were initially crafted with Oregonians in mind.
"Most people out here are oblivious to what you people do in Oregon," says Jack Montague, Rogue Rods' Florida sales representative. "But that doesn't matter. What matters is that we're putting a high-end rod in people's hands for about $100 less than what they're used to paying."
But Montague is part of perhaps an even more important trick Rogue Rods has pulled off in the past year.
Montague is one of several longtime Loomis sales reps who have jumped ship and are now peddling Rogue Rods to sporting goods stores that once bought Loomis rods en masse.
"I was tight with these dealers for 20 years," says Montague, who was once Loomis' top sales rep but fled when the company was sold to Japan-based Shimano in 1997. "So it's very easy for me to go in with this new product and get accepted."
Adams also has hired Bob Loomis, who learned rod design from his famous uncle, Gary Loomis. Bob Loomis has helped design 140 different all-tackle rods and is working on a new line of fly rods due out this fall.
Now Rogue Rods are in 120 stores in 40 states, thanks largely to muscles once flexed for Loomis.
"That's been part of the key to this whole thing — (dealers) buying Rogue Rods from reps who used to sell them Loomis," Adams, 57, says with a smile. "Bobby Loomis' name alone has a huge impact. Everybody knows us now."

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
The son of Gary Loomis is working for rogue rods now.I don't know if they totally sold out or not but I heard they are taking shortcuts in production now,Like removing one guide off a rod to save money on overall cost of building a particular model.
R.R.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Rogue now for 3 years and it has held up very well. It is a 9 1/2 4 to 8 lb and put a 25 nook on the bank with it.
Now for Loomis there not what they use to be.
WFFF
They need to spline there rods.

·
Registered
254 Posts
To clear the water on the Rogue/Loomis comparisons. To begin with there is no affiliation between the two. It is Gary's nephew who is the backbone of the Rogue company, not his son. When japan bought G.loomis they made a terrible mistake and let him get away. Now he has the ability to bring back to the market a fishing tool that is today what loomis used to be in the good ol' days, a fishing rod built buy fisherman for fishermen/women. basically the old IM6 red models is what you are getting in the rogue, they are still young and growing through some production issues, but keep your reel seats tight because it is just the begining of something great, There is something coming reel soon that will set the industry on fire from ROGUE! AMERICAN MADE AND OWNED!!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Ty, on what do you base your opinion, personal unfounded bias? (Kia vs Mercede? come on!!) I've got a nice Rogue drift rod that I'd put up against any Loomis. I've also got a Loomis too, I'm not BIASED either direction. They are both outstanding rods.

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
Nothin' against Rogue rods boy's. Sure they are great.

I have used my loomis's fer over 15 years. Other great rod companies have come and gone. Just the way I see it.

Maybe Rogue will be there in 5 years maybe not.

The comparison is accurate, just think about it, nothin to be taken personally. Surely, nothin against Rogue rods, sure they are great.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
Does anyone know if GI Joe's stock of Rogue rods are priced at full suggested retail the same as listed on the Rogue website..???

just wondering if its no different to buy direct, or maybe save at Gi joes.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Ty, and "surely" your comments and bias towards Loomis have nothing to do with your connection to a business who you've endorsed here and the fact that that business sells loomis but not Rogue! :laugh:

Akuracy 503, based on the Rogue rod I recently bought at Joes, the price was about $5 lower than the Roguerods website. Maybe there was a price increase that hadn't caught up with Joe's inventory yet. I'm betting (gee, not to compare Rogue vs Loomis)that Rogue, just as Loomis rods, are priced the same wherever you can buy them and they don't get discounted.

And "surely" I give much more weight to Mark at First Cast's endorsement of what a fine product the Rogue rod is..... or anybody else who has actually tried them! I'm really happy with my Rogue Rod.

·
Banned
1,314 Posts
Skrimmy thanks for the input...
I never stopped to look at the prices.

Seems whomever carries Rogue rods (GI Joes, Fishermans Marine) are always sold out for the most part...Therefore Ive never been able to take a serious look at these Rogue rods!

·
Registered
616 Posts
The Laussman family that owns Rogue Rods has very deep pockets. I think they'll be around for a while. They've made a considerable investment and won't give up on it easily.

I fished a Rogue 7' drift rod with a Shimano Stradic 4000 today on the Smith River in Nor Cal. I landed 1 fish 9 lbs. The Smith was Gin Clear and somewhat low for this time of year.

I liked the 1 piece rod. I'll probably be purchasing a couple for my rod collection.

:grin:

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
Skimmey,

Nice to see u handle things in a very grown up manner. :hoboy: Hope I run into u on the river sometime and skunk your lil pathetic b... fishing, of course in a friendly way.

To clear the air and to set the record straight:

1) I have NO affiliation with Fishermans Shack or Don Greene.

2) I work for a federal fisheries conservation agency in Alaska in fisheries biology and fisheries research.

3) I have fished all over Oregon, Montana, and Alaska for a wide variety of salmonids using terminal gear and fly rods.

4) If u like Rogue rods. more power to u. Some liek to ride in Kia's and some like the feel of a luxury mercedes, I don't care. Rogue rods seem nice enough to me, just not nice enough fer me to own, my .02 cents worth.

5) I have 11 loomis casting rods, 3 loomis spinning rods, and one loomis fly rod. The only other brand of rods that I own 3 Thomas and Thomas fly rods.

6) I have owned many different rod brands ranging from Shakespear, Flueger, Shimano, Lamiglass, Sage, Fenwick, and Abu Garcia. Some of these above and other brands may be better than the loomis's that I fish with, but I don't think that any manufacture above would have treated me as good as Loomis through the years and considering the rods that I went through when I was guiding.

Most of all look, loomis is still there and going strong, they where there yesterday, today, and will be there tmw.

So, again skimmey I have checked out Rogue rods, they are great, more power to u, I will stick to Loomis, don't expect to have u blind side me again over something so stupid!!!

[ 01-26-2004, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Ty ]

·
Banned
4,224 Posts
Not sure Rogue and Loomis are really in the same market?

Loomis will be there tmw and Rogue, u never know.

Quality in products is liek comparing a Kia to a Mercedes Benz.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Rogue rods are like playing on the varsity basketball team in high school. Top notch rods.

Loomis rods are like playing junior varsity.....why would you want to play jv when you can step up and play Varsity.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I was just trying to say that it is kind of strange. However differant companies have differant customer service. That is for sure. Rainshadow and Lamiglas is the best I have dealt with. Stripping the reel seat and cork just does not make sense to me. What a pain. That is all I am saying. I am not saying they do not build a new product. As mentioned we all have our own favorites..... :wink: My intentions were not to be attacking. As you know we all can construe black and white on a computer to pretty much anything

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I agree with Ty, Kia's are far superior to Mercedes.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I've got about 10 Loomis rods, ranging from a 6'6 ultralight to a 9' steelie rods....love 'em all!!

I have one 9'6" steelie casting rod, and love it.

Both are quality, and as I'm sure some Lamiglas guys would say, neither is as good as a Lami. Bottom line is, everyone has their own preference, and whether you're talking Loomis, Rogue, Lamiglas, Rogue, TH/Rainshadow, or St. Croix, all of these are top dogs in the industry. Some people feel we're stupid for spending so much...why not just use an Ugly-Stik?

Buy all of them!! :dance:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like I will keep my Loomis rods as well as my Rogue rods. I still like them both. I don't think either one is a KIA and I didn't buy the argument that Loomis will be around when Rogue isn't. After all, isn't Rogue still in Oregon and Loomis/Shimano is now in Japan?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have worked in the industry for a number of years Now, I am biased because I work for the largest manufacturer of fishing rods in the united states. Allstar, we produce over 800 rods a day with a majority of them being sold everywhere else except here in the Northwest.
I have brought sales of Allstar rods in the northwest from 0 to over 250 K in the last few years. We make an outstanding rod very similiar to the Loomis Gl-3 series for about half of the cost. We have the Best warranty of all the manufactures. A no questions asked over the counter exchange policy, you brake it, you take it back to the dealer where you purchased it and swap it out for a new one. Simple as that. Please keep in mind before you bad mouth Loomis that they are the ones who set the industry standard for all of the rest of us rod companies to follow. Granted Lamiglas and Fenwick and others where here before them, they took it to a new level and challenged the rest of us to follow. Gary is still involved with Loomis, but only as a mouthpiece. He has many other things he is involved in that take up his time like fish first, so if you have an old school loomis I suggest you hang on to it.
The rap on Rogue is that they have a terrible warranty policy and that there technology is old which does not work well with new materials. Just what I know from being in the industry.
Peace
Superfly

[ 01-26-2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: superfly ]

1 - 20 of 48 Posts