IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[Source unknown] Driveline Vibration Issue - Possible Root Cause

This guy ran over a mattress and decided to keep going. The ensuing jumble finally whipped around enough to put a tear in the gas tank, the subsequent lack of fuel is what finally brought this vehicle to its knees.

It had still managed to drive 30 more miles decently with a 60lb tangle wrapped around the driveshaft.

He complained that the vehicle had a "shimmy" when driving it high speeds.

This is what the dealership found..............

·
Registered
826 Posts
I used to deal with stuff like this back when I was turning a wrench. It always went something like this:

Me: Wow. These bearings are shot. Did you ever grease them?
Driver: Grease them?
Me: It is in the operator's manual.
Driver: Operator's manual?
Me: Didn't you notice any kind of vibration changes in the equipment?
Driver: Oh yeah.... I guess that I do remember a weird sound and a shimmy starting a couple of days ago.
Me: And you didn't think to stop and check it out or at least tell me? :idea:
Driver: <insert blank look here>

Good equipment operators are so hard to find.....

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to deal with stuff like this back when I was turning a wrench. It always went something like this: . . . .
Growing-up in the garden equipment business it went something like this:

Me - - good morning, how may I help you?
Customer - - I loaned my mower to my neighbor and now it won't run. It's only a year old.
Me - - (checking it over) Gee, it seems to be seized-up. (checking oil level) Wow, there's no oil in here. The oil is supposed to be here at the top of the reservoir filler and you only have a (sticking my pinkie finger into the oil pan and showing him the very black oil dot on that finger) trace at the very bottom.
Customer - - (very indignant) Well! It had oil in it when it was new, didn't it?

:hoboy::hoboy::hoboy:

·
Registered
22,377 Posts
Don, I think that one has a fuel filter problem. Driveline looks pretty good.

WOW!

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I hope the owner of that mattress Jumped off? Nah, Might be stuck in the Fan Blades.

Could be reason Truck is over heating..

Too funny.. so true on how people drive!!..

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
That is a great one!

I deal with warranty issues on class 8 trucks. Some of our dealers send us some pretty spectacular pics from time to time. A log truck with a full load of logs that burned when the driver tossed a cable high over the load and hooked an overhead powerline....

regards, aw

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
'Anyone wanting to try this our on a somewhat smaller scale; I see there's a free twin mattress over on the Classifieds. :D:passout: Just be sure to post-up your result photos. Don

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
I gotta get under my truck and check for one of those mattresses.I have a heck of a vibration.:D
Maybe snow packed in the wheels.Plus I have a ujoint going out.

I hate changing ujoints on Toyotas.

·
Registered
10,933 Posts
I'm surprised the drive shaft didn't fall off before he ran out of gas :passout: That's a lot of extra stress on those u-joints

Other people's kids... :hoboy:

-jokester

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.