IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent an hour on the rocks today throwing lead and rubber.

Fun Fun!

25 lbs of greenling, one 12 lb hog
Lost another even bigger, barnicles cut my line :mad: bad pics, dead battery somehow I only got the first and the last pic I took..

[ 07-07-2003, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
That freikin' thing looks like something you'd see on the X-FILES :shocked: WOWSERS that thing looks like it's got a primo case of heartburn :laugh:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Sounds like you had fun on the rocks! And don't apologize for the pix. That mouth shot is priceless.

·
Premium Member
14,486 Posts
EEWWWW!!!!!!!!!! you're actually going to eat that thing????

congratulations, i think.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jokester, the meat has special powers...(glows in the dark too)

Yum

[ 07-07-2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
755 Posts
Looks just like a catfish I caught below Hanford a while back.....That green tint is a product of that area....Glow in the dark stuff...

J.K. Nice fish!

SG

·
Premium Member
14,486 Posts
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you gotta be kidding me.

sometimes, i wonder about the first person to look at something like that and say to themselves: i'm gonna eat that. like pineapples or cactus flesh or artichokes. but that???? here we are some hundreds and thousands of years later. isn't evolution good for anything? wouldn't you just like some nice salmon instead or maybe a trout? that looks like something that frat boys dare each other to eat.

disclaimer: i'm sure that properly prepared, it tastes wonderful. then again, if you brine and smoke an old boot long enough, it'll taste good too.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Amperstat, that green meat is terrible stuff to eat.

If you ever get your hands on it please call my new company called, "Environmental Green Lingcod Meat Saftey Team" I will take it all away for you and dispose of it properly. :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Amp relax brotha, its just a ling cod. If youve ever eaten ling cod, chances are youve eaten a greenling, looks the same on the outside, taste the same too, meat turns pearl white when you cook it, nice big firm flakes. good stuff, some people say this tastes better than ling that isnt green, Im not sure theres a difference.

Plenty of action off the rocks down here, good fighters too...a few years ago, I cought one about 4 lbs, and a 35 pounder came along and swallow him...I landed both!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Looks like you can handle a knife, (and a camera) but... that fillet just looks wrong.

·
Premium Member
14,486 Posts
so what's the cure for a serious case of the heebie jeebies? that thing just freaks me out.

but seriously, i've known folks to eat all sorts of strange stuff that tasted fine and normal stuff that tasted like dirt once prepared. and there was the time that good ol' dad made shrimp smell like dirt and taste outstanding. i hope he still has that recipe.

congrats on the whopper fish.

[ 07-08-2003, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Elwix, lingcod have to be one of the simplest fish to fillet, no cleaning required. Better off with a long fillet knife (the one pictured is 18 inches) thats a little less than razor sharp.

I can relate Amp, the things freaked me out so bad I wouldnt carry it home the first time I cought one...my buddys wife cooked it up, and boy was it good. Now that I think about it, they are a lot tastier than the commercially cought white lings.

[ 07-07-2003, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

G

·
Would trade you Salmon, Filet Mignon or Texas BBQ (well maybe), all day long for fresh deep fried ling cod. :smile:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oh I caught a few ling when I was much younger. (We're talking decades here) I remember they were a lot of fun to catch, but I don't remember the meat being that color. Maybe that's because at the time I just gutted and bled them and put them on ice and let my Mom fillet them for me. She was really good about things like that. She was good about cooking up all the fish I caught. She'd probably still do it for me if I'd let her.

Anyway, I remember that fresh ling was awesome. She didn't deep fry it though. She BBQed them on a charcoal grill. It was outstanding. :grin: I haven't tried it deep fried though, but it does sound good.

I guess I'm going to have to go to the coast one of these days, and try to catch another ling so I can try them deep fried. Mmm... sounds good.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
So, How many worms did you pull out of the meat?

You know lings and greenling are notorious for worms. Of course that meat looks delicious

I just had Salmon for dinner tonight, (and for breakfast, out on the boat.) and I think I could go for a chunk of that too.

Nice fish.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have caught a few of these. I have never had one with worms and had no idea that they got near that size??????

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"worms"?? Those are blood vessels! :wink:
Dude your gonna freak these people out!

No visable worms in the larger fish (3+ pound fillets!), smaller two had very few.

What doesnt kill you only makes you stronger right?

Wak, the worms are very common. These fish get huge, but they reach a certain stage when it seems like thier head is bigger than the body...they have little organs too, all meat and head/gills.

Rick...Theres an oriental rice breading out there called "Panko" its awesome, turns nice and brown very light and crispy, no soggy layer underneath. Damp the fillets with lemon juice Mix a few spices in with the panko before pressing the fillets firmly into it. griddle with olive oil or clarified butter. If you like deep fried, you'll love this. Much lighter and chrispy.
If tartar sauce is a must, try 2 parts mayo, one part sour cream, dill weed, black pepper, celery seed and garlic, and most importantly, a splash of balsamic vinegar to a medium dark brown. Youll never eat tartar sauce again. I use balsamic on all fish, and italian pan bread, bagel samiches, salad...you name it...god its good.

[ 07-07-2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Yummy! The first time I got one that had blue meat I was wondering if there were any submarine wrecks in the area!

happybrew

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Give a man a fish...." :grin: you know my number, bring a heavy rod and some junk 15# or better line, dacron or steel leaders if youve got em... Ive got millions of jig heads and 8 inch rubber.

I think "atworkalot" is coming down this weekend, Steel in the morning, ling in the afternoon. cmon over. Friday looks good too.

[ 07-07-2003, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

1 - 20 of 41 Posts