IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone,

I was hoping to get some info on fuel gauges. I bought a pretty nice aluminum fuel tank @ the 1st annual fishing swap meet, it's a great tank but it doesn't have a gauge or a sender :shrug:

How are these things installed? Am I going to have to cut the tank open to install one?

I was hoping to use a gauge that would be mounted on my counsel, is this possible?

Can anyone please get me rolling in the right direction?

Thanks for the help
Bobby

[ 07-11-2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: big n bright ]

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,378 Posts
Yes, you will have to cut a hole for the sender. I believe you will also have to ground the tank (good idea anyway as gas has this thing about going boom). I know you can buy replacement senders and the gauges are sold separately so you should be able to do it.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
It would probably be easier (maybe cheaper) and definatley more accurate to put a fuel flow meter in. If you know the size of the tank the meter will tell you how much fule you've burned so you now how much is remaining. Much more accurate than the float/senders.
:cheers:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Have a 30 gallon metal tank in my 62 Glass Ply, only have had it for 3 years but the old timer I got it from says to fill it up completely for storage in winter so condensation will not happen, I suggest putting in on something that will allow excess water to escape from under the tank, I took old poly cutting board like meat departments use and grooved it with my skill saw so the water could escape from under the tank mine sits in a well type deal in back of boat. Thank god for JB Weld 2 years ago the bottom rusted out and several gas of fuel went everywhere. Looked at buying a plasic tank to replace the metal one but JB keeps holding, anyway Fishermans should have everything your looking for by their plastic fuel tanks.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Miss B's right about senders. I've never seen one that was accurate, unless the boat was sitting still on the trailer. .
Stewart Warner makes universal senders and gauges if you gotta go that route. I'd be more inclined to go with a Flo-Scan like Miss B said. Or just put a sight glass on the tank if the tank's mounted where you can see it.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
BnB...I checked into the flow meters a while ago and they look to fill the ticket of the fuel guage in most situations. The nice thing in your case is that it simply mounts inline on your fuel line. I asked a few questions about this on the Salty Dogs forum regarding replacing my gas guage with a flow meter and got some good feedback. The one thing you have to remember with the flow meter is that it will tell you how much gas you have burned, how much you left and what your burn rate is while running. BUT....you have to reset it everytime your fill up or you won't know how much you have left. That's not a big deal, but if you forget it could create a problem.

Good luck! :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts