IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the problems of filling my fuel tank where I only get a gallon or 2 in and the gas pump kicks off and knowing it is not near full, I keep trying to put more gas in and it starts puking out the vent line. Only happens occaionally. I got looking at my vent line and it appears to loop up above the vent outlet, then back down, creating a trap.
Are these supposed to be trapped, or was there just too much hose when they installed it new?

· Registered
1,733 Posts
You need the loop to prevent water from coming in the vent and on into the tank.

When the tank is not full, everything in the vent line should drain back to tank, and it will be free to vent until the tank is full, and then you get a spit out the vent. Do you have a low spot in the vent between the tank and loop (trap) that would hold fuel at the time you are trying to refuel?

· Registered
2,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to make sure the loop is supposed to be there.

No, no low spots in the vent line.

· Registered
5,162 Posts
Try changing the attitude of the boat. If the bow is too high gas will spit back out the vent. On an old inboard sled I had when filling the boat while in the water I had to get out and fill fron the dock. This would raise the bow enough to fill, although very slow. All this assuming the filler and vent are at the stern

· Registered
69 Posts
I had a serious problem with back flow until I installed a second vent at the oposite end of the tank as the original. One in front, one in back, and no more problems, no matter the tilt of the boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.