IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I got a chance for a second trip out of Deep River. Up at 3am, and on the water by 6am. Did the hunt and stalk game for 2-3 hours and just couldn't find the slot. Had brought the walkie-talkie to pick up any chatter. A boat anchored near us that was teamed with another located up river who had found the honey-hole. We tagged along but stayed at a reasonable distance not to spoil their find. We continued to listen and watch as they slayed the masses. It was a little disturbing to watch them limit out, rendevous together to get the right amount of fish per angler in each boat, prior to returning to the launch. 2 boats, 9 rods, 8 sturgeon. This in addition to listening to how to tie the stringer to make a discreet release just in case a bigger one was caught. Oh, and then the plan to go to camp, fillet fish, have a few drinks, and return for an evening massacre. It appear the system even had somebody at camp to radio if F&W was at the ramp checking boats. So, why do we need a 5 fish annual limit? The wife finally caught a fat 39" shaker and released. About 2pm it's nap time. We are both catching some heavy zzzzz's, when I awake to my wife yelling at me and a strange zinging noise, which happens to be line racing off my reel. I'm still waiting for the fuzz to clear as I pull the bent rod from the holder with the reel still screaming. Tightened the drag and finally got it stopped. This fish then turned and came straight at me so fast I couldn't begin to keep up. Three times I thought I'd lost it, but finally brought a fat 50"er into the boat. And no it wasn't a dream. Almost 12 hours on the water and well worth the effort. Our skunk is off, but appear to be plenty of skunks on the prowl.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Way to stick with it. Good to see the one's who put in an honest effort get an honest fish.

·
Registered
126 Posts
FB,

Did you fish the Washington side or run over to around Tongue Point? Have any trouble getting out of Deep River? I understand the channel is pretty narrow and shallow in spots.

I'd like to launch there and fish around that area. Someone told me they had done well around Portugese Point in the past.

Bummer about the slobs fishing around you. It's the people like that that'll ruin it for the rest of us. I'll never understand why people feel the "must" kill their limit simply because they can.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
good job, Could you have called the authorities on the guys. Real sportsman, I tell you. You wonder just how much of that goes on. :hoboy:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Invader
Deep River runs into Grays Bay across from Tongue Point. It's a single ramp private $5.00 launch. Turn left off of Hwy. 4 immediately(did I say immediately)after crossing Deep river. I haven't fished the Oregon side yet. Next time I think I will, maybe miss the jerks.
You do need to watch the channel when the tide is out. Three weeks ago I towed a big sled 40 yards to the channel after he planted it on the flat going in on low tide. And three big guys pushing. :grin: He had stayed too close to the markers. :shrug:
The bioligist checking at the ramp wasn't interested in details. Didn't check our tag or look in our boat. Just wanted the standard count details. :whazzup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts