IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just given a method of freezing crab which sounds promising.

(1) Back and clean one crab.
(2) Blanch crab in salty boiling water for
3 minutes.
(3) Remove crab, drain and slip into a
Food Saver bag.
(4) Fold a paper towl to span the opening
which will absorbe liquid while sealing.
(5) Draw a vacuum and seal.
(6) Stack in freezer like cord wood.

When hungry for crab, he told me to just remove from freezer and bag. Start salty water boiling and boil for 15 or more minutes.

Has anyone heard of this process? Sounds good to me. Any other ideas? I have tried many and none have proven successful.

Sore Back

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The crab shell will puncture the bag. If you put the unshelled crab in a brown paper bag, you can vacuum pack it. It will be ok, but not great in 6 months.

Better is to cook, clean and solid pack the meat in 1/2 or 1 lb packages, then vacuum pack. The solid pack keeps the meat from drying out and is good up to a year later. Not as good as fresh, but makes great crab cakes.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I agree, it's a ton of work but processing the crab meat is the only way to insure the freshness.
Even blanched meat withing the shell will shrink and take away flavor. I process it all and put it on vaccume bags. I freeze one cup servings, then when froxen, vaccume and throw in the freezer. Works great, put in on salad, make ravioli, cakes whatever.
Enjoy!
GBS

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
hmmmm...crab and cheddar cheese and a little cream cheese stuffed mushroom caps....hmmmmm, LUNCH! :grin:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I eat 5-10 crabs a day until they are gone. No vacuum packer required, but by the third or fourth day I'm so sick of crab I can't see straight - you wouldn't believe it, but it's true - you can get sick of crab!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I *once* tried just vacuum packing the cooked crab in the shell. You get nothing but holes in your bag, and dried out crab to eat. :depressed: Do like has already been mentioned. Cook and clean the crab (lots of work), then vacuum pack. I tried this a couple of years ago, and have been doing it ever since. Makes great cakes, quiche, salads, or even dipped in butter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I fully cook in shell. After they cool off (I place them in sink of cold water) I place them in vacuum bags and vacuum seal whole. I just don't let it get to the full vacuum. I seal prior to getting to full vacuum. I am careful to not puncture bags when inserting into bag, sealing, and placing in freezer.

I have had some 9 months later and still tastes fine. And since they are already cooked don't have to cook them again. We do reheat them by placing in boiling water for a few minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts