IFish.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great time yesterday with Willierower, and a lurker "Bill". Spent about 10 hours from launch to load in Newport in good company.

Sea bass, lings and crab were the target...Crabbing was a bust, managed two keeper lings and a few shakers, and almost 50 bass.
Great trip... thanks Paul. My back is killing me, and the second skin on my finger injury turned clear white and itches like mad! (salt water?) but I had a great time.

Before and after pics below (paul with the big bass of the day)...experimental ling deep fry recipe...you wouldnt believe what I used if I told you. Boy was it good...turkey fryer worked well, cooked up about 4 lbs of lingcod and greenling for an early afternoon shnack.

[ 07-21-2003, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
So, you deep fried it like my friend suggested. Good stuff eh?

Hope you back gets to feeling better. Your skin will return to normal soon. Just put some moisturizer on it.

Thanks for tagging along Doug. We will have to it again. My friend also enjoyed you company.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Oh man is there anything better than deep fried lings? Nope. Yeah how about the recipe.

[ 07-19-2003, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skin is fine...its this stuff called "second skin" its like waterproof paint for flesh wounds...had a 1/4 inch piece of flesh pulled from the end of my finger...on the surface its slightly obvious, but it was deep. The "second skin" is supposed to be flesh colored, it turned white and was hard as a rock...itched like crazy...I think it was the salt water. Bill was cool, I look forward to fishing with you guys again soon. I have no shortage of sarcasm and jests...Im in tune with you guys now, watch out.

Mikey "secret recipe" to catch them or cook them?
Now if I told you it wouldnt be a secret any more would it?

Take some rice chex and put them into the food processor, make a coarse flour out of them...about a cup

mix with one cup of "country gravy" mix...thats right, this powdered country gravy in the red envelope you can get almost anywhere, just mix the two powders well and put them on a big plate.
The stuff already has good spices in it, but I add some dill weed.

Dredge fish in an eggwash...(eggs, beer, a little balsamic vinegar, and some minced garlic.) Should be slightly watery, you dont want it thick.

soak the fish in the eggbath press the wet pieces into the dry mixture and let them sit a minute...you want a dry coating. ...deep fry in oil around 360 degrees, they will float to the top after a few seconds.

Nice and brown and crispy, very light... the dry gravy mix has a great subtle flavor.
Im not a fan of thick batters with a doughy greasy sponge coating...this stuff worked out great.

[ 07-19-2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I have used corn flakes instead of the chex......with a similar result.

Besides the gravy mixes used for frying, I have used mixes for a dry rub on fish and worked great. I especially like Knorr Pesto or Red Bell Pepper Pesto on rockfish (or any light white fish for that matter).......just rub on, let set for 15 minutes and cook in ol George Foreman cooker. Very healthy and very full of flavor also :smile:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
COTR-thanks for the secret recipe, I'll surly give it a try. Even though I'm still busting at the seams from all the bbq'd steaks we put away tonite, it still makes my mouth water. Think I'll pull out a package of halibut fillets from the freezer and have that for dinner tomorrow!
Thanks again, Mikeymoto :bowdown:

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
instead of rice chex, try this stuff called "Panko" in a small box in the safeway oriental food section. replace the chex with the panko and follow the same procedure as above without the food procesor.

Had it last night...better than chex and cornfalkes too.

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
Panko is alot cheaper at a oriental store. You can get a large bag for about 1.60. Razor clams diped in egg and Panko are also very tasty as well. Mmmmmm must have razor clams.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
James :cheers: good stuff...

I bread and panfry chicken breast for sandwhiches with it too.

One variation I tried last night, which isnt uncommon...roll the fish in the powdered gravy mix first, then dip in eggwash, then press it in the Panko...deep fry
Moist and flaky on the inside, crispy and lite on the outside..

Razorclams?...drooool

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Doug, another thing we like is to take a pork,chicken or venison filet, pound it, marinade in soy, sugar, wine, sesame oil, garlic/ginger ( or any terriyaki) and then egg wash and coat with panko and pan fry. eat with rice or noodles. same think can be done with salmon or any fish and no pounding needed.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
COTR, I tried to locate a recipe that you posted for a substitute for tarter sauce. 2 parts mayo, 1 part sour cream, balsamic vinegar??? Thanks for the yummy help. Mikeymoto

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mikey...as long as it has Balsamic Vinegar in it, your OK!.

Yes the recipe is accurate, add some dill weed, garlic (minced from a jar is very falvorful, I use fresh for stove top cooking and salads only)and some coarse ground black pepper.
Horseraddish is optional...I like it on the side.

James, Im looking for an open seat...at your diningroom table! :grin:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
i'll triple that. once you go panko, you wont go back to the old stuff. trust us on this one, unless you dont like a crispy coating.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
COTR, thanks I almost had it. I put some salt in it not remembering
Would have been much better without it. Thanks again, Mikeymoto

1 - 15 of 15 Posts