IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on the fence as to weather to fish tuna or those scrawny salmon on saturday. Since it is a tournament I won't ask for numbers but how many miles to warm water would make my decision easier. We are not in the tournament. My boat is a 22 Arima and with the forecast 2 and 5 at 6 seconds we would have a bumpy ride back if we are not back in early.
We are launching at Ilwaco or chinook on the CR.

Wetsand has smaller seas in the morning but building all day. If they are still less than 30 miles out than the crew and I would probly opt to go for tuna. If they are 40 or more miles out we will stay closer to shore and fish salmon.
Coastwatch seems to be clowded in as the SST's are showing nothing.
Any info would be appreciated.
I don't think last weekends success converted me to the dark side but I picked up another 150qt cooler yesterday and I am stopping at the fife place for a couple more of those purple lamiglass tuna rods and maybe another 113h. Firstmate tied up some more daisy chains last night while I got the boat ready. You can hear it in the crews voices, dissapointment if we can only fish for salmon.

· Registered
346 Posts
I don't think last weekends success converted me to the dark side but I picked up another 150qt cooler yesterday and I am stopping at the fife place for a couple more of those purple lamiglass tuna rods and maybe another 113h. Firstmate tied up some more daisy chains last night while I got the boat ready. You can hear it in the crews voices, dissapointment if we can only fish for salmon.
Sounds like you are already on the dark side Steve :laugh:

· Banned
8,835 Posts
The 5' at 6 second prediction will make for a bumpy ride indeed. If you factor in any kind of wind waves, like the 2' mentioned, you are in a square ocean. Not my idea of a pleasant playground.

However, we're talking about a big area and the prediction doesn't have to be far off to make it really doable. It's certainly close enough to do the hairy eyeball thing. I'm going to check it closely tonight, and before I leave in the morning (about 3:30) to see, and if it holds true or trends better then I will make the drive over - if not the trip out.

Time will tell.

Skein

· Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
we have crew that will probly stay home if its "just salmon"
I can't believe I am saying that. We plan to have gear for both at 5 am saturday and if the run to bouy 2 is a bummer than we will deploy salmon gear. I expect calmer seas in the am and if I think we can get out and spike a few and get back early than I will give it a shot.

As far as the dark side I may have already been there for a long time. Just not tuna afflicted! There may be 100 rods and at least 40 reels in my garage. I just need a couple more of each!

· Registered
2,828 Posts
Just got off the phone with a buddy on his way back from TUNA! fishing today. They dropped in early, about 18 miles out and trolled to ~30mi before they found the fish. 60 degree water, doubles & triples landed. Boated very good numbers of fish and just crossed the bar. Wish the forecast was looking better for tomorrow:
SAT
N WIND 15 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 4 FT. W SWELL 5 FT AT 6
SECONDS.
:confused::confused::confused:

· Registered
11,464 Posts
6:30 Start from Depoe, Myself, Nate, & Todd set out twards Area 61, Water was 48 deg in close, but kinda blue, about 15 out the water had increased to about 58 deg, put lines in at 52/27 with 60 deg water, ended up right in the same area as last Sat, 53/28 & South & West from there with 61 deg water, Mostly singles, with a few multipuls mixed in, Cedar Plugs were working, nice grade of fish, Birds really helped today, everytime we found a large group of birds working we would hook up. The Ocean was nice, Todd was sick most of the day, but managed to reel in 3 or 4 fish, & is a Tunagin no more. :yay:Water increased to 62 deg by the time we came in at 3:30.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.