IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will have Fresh Chinook and Coho eggs again tomorrow Friday the 12th of Sept in the Portland, Salem and Albany area. These eggs will be hours out of the fish from surplus hatchery fish. We will also have eggs every week for the next month or so. If you are interested in getting fresh eggs we will be making trips to the coast and Eugene soon and can talk about other area's if we get the interest. Our cured eggs and egg cure can also be picked up at all area G.I. Joes stores.

Scott Amerman

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Scott we have the cure how about the eggs comming this way?? I know it's a trip but when the fish are in the deschutes your eggs are better than the others at our G.I.Joes
Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been told that eggs and cure will be in all 22 G.I. Joes stores this week and We will work hard to make sure that it stays in all the stores. We have had some problems with the stores reordering the product when they run out. I Was told today that one of the G.I Joes staff called every store today to get inventory.

Verysweepy I am bringing eggs to Tillamook next Week.

Scott

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm not trying to start anything HONEST My son said the Guide Shop has them for $4.00 a lb. Sell me why I should buy yours. Again I'm not trying to start anything with this post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
David, that is a fair question and I also am not trying to start anything, but ask the Guide Shop where their eggs came from.

Our eggs are from surplus Oregon hatcherys and are just hours(minutes if you meet me at the Bonneville Tanner creek hatchery) out of the fish.

I am quite sure that our competitors cannot say the same.

In fact, it will be interesting to hear where they tell you their eggs are coming from.

We will await your report.

Grant

·
Registered
532 Posts
I thought that all GI Joe's, even the ones in Wa were going to carry your eggs. So far the store in Lakewood has never had any and really don't know what I am talking about when I ask them. Would really like them to start carrying them.

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
Cooter,I think Fastaction just got ya.

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
[ 09-12-2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: freespool ]

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Originally posted by River-Rat:
Scott we have the cure how about the eggs comming this way?? I know it's a trip but when the fish are in the deschutes your eggs are better than the others at our G.I.Joes
Just a thought.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Eggs in the Deschutes? I bet they work awsome

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
David,

Why do our fresh eggs cost more than other fresh eggs? Why do our cured eggs cost more than guides choice eggs? Why does a G. Loomis rod cost more than an Eagle Claw rod? Like fishing tackle, boats and most other fishing supplies, there are lots of different kind of eggs you can buy. Quality is the main difference. Fresh eggs come from many different sources and have a have a very short life span. A true quality fresh egg ( like you would catch out of a fish yourself) really should be cured within the first 24 hours. Many people believe that it should be done much sooner. Also how those eggs are kept for that 24 hours is really important. As most people know who catch their own fish, if a fish is not bleed at the time of death, the eggs can become contaminated with blood and other bad enzymes from the fish. A fresh egg that has not been cured needs to be stored at cool temp. to maintain the quality for those 24 hours. A fresh egg that is fresh out a fish has clear inner liquids and oils, is blood free and has no bad odors. When you cut a fresh quality egg skein with a pair of scissors, you will not pop any eggs. If your fresh eggs are too old or has not been cared for correctly, they will lose they clarity in the liquids and oils and the outside of the egg will harden making it less likely to accept the cure. As you cut the eggs, some eggs will squirt and be cut by the scissors( Often seeing eggs poop is the easiest way to tell how fresh or old an egg is) and the eggs will have odors. Often we as humans can not smell the odors in the eggs. You might be asking yourself, "Come on, does any of this really matter?" Well fish can smell in parts per billion. A blood hound or other dog that can track human sent left behind after someone ran through a field can smell in parts per millions. I believe we can smell in parts per thousand. So what's the difference in an egg that is fresh and one that comes out of a gillnet? Our fresh eggs are cut out of the fish at the time of death (or before) and delivered to you just hours out of the fish and have been kept on ice or in a cooler until your receive them. An egg from a Gillnet is ..... Well first let's go back to that fish swimming into the net. The fish swims into the net and struggles, dying slowly as it loses oxygen. As a fish dies in this manner, it pumps its blood and enzymes to its vital organs and reproductive organs in an attempt to keep alive and oxygenated . After the fish dies, it sits in a net for who knows how long in 67 degree Columbia river water. When that fish is brought on board, it is held until the boat finishes for the day and takes out. Then the fish makes it to the fish buyer. Then said fish buyer would sell it to say a shop that would sell them. If this shop bought fish and all, they would need to clean the fish or at least now remove the eggs. Often the fish are cleaned based on the ones that have been in the buyer's shop the longest as they were sold by the fish seller knowing they have longer to deal with the ones that just came in. Then the eggs become available to you. This process often takes 48 plus hours. And this is just speaking to quality of the eggs--not whether or not you want you money going to support the state hatcheries or the Gill-netters. Ya, I could buy and sell a cheaper egg, but I choose not too. When the Guide shop sold eggs out of the hatcheries, they charged $9 a pound, and maybe now that they have a different source, their price and quality might have dropped. I heard they are selling their chinook eggs for $7 a pound.

So David, your not the first one to take a shot at us and why our eggs cost more, but all it does is allow us to show people why our eggs are better quality. And as you said, if you didn't want to start something, you would have asked this question in one of the many email or phone calls we have exchanged recently and not in the public forum I am trying to sell my eggs in.

Cooter there is a section of the Deschutes that allows bait fishing and many people use eggs there.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Yeah how much? and when will you be in Tillamook?

I stopped at pacific seafood the other day in Garibaldi and purchased 2 pounds of "fresh salmon eggs" for $2.50 per pound to check them out. The woman said she had 50 lbs that came off a charter boat a few hours ago so I took my chances. They looked good and were definately fresh, but I should have looked closer before I purchased them, the fish were obviously not all bled properly. Half of the eggs had blood and I think what was a vein or artery was still full of blood in half of the scanes. The other half were very nice and pink with clear fluid. I cured the good stuff within minutes of buying them and threw the bad ones away but I'm curious if the blood from the bad ones may have contaminated the good ones with an unapealing odor or enzymes that fish wont bite.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks for squaring me away on the Deschutes thing!

I'm curing up about 10 pounds of eggs out of some Nooks we caught today. I bought the Ammerman Salmon cure at the Sportsmans Show sevaral months ago and have been keeping it in the freezer.

The color of the egg cure is awesome! I think I'm going to be very happy with these eggs! Thanks Scott.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Scott:
I have heard great things about your eggs from some very notable fisherman. So you might be the right guy to ask these questions. First: Egg quality if utmost important.
Second: I have heard the theory about your cure ( and secret recipe) having something in it that the fish crave because of a particular metabolic breakdown in their body after leaving salt water. OK: So how much of it is egg quality and how much of it is your cure ?
Third: Does cure mask smells or do cures add smells that attract fish ? or both ?

And I also heard recently Fish Steelhead eggs for Steelhead and use Salmon eggs for salmon.

And also: The best possible way to use eggs are eggs just taken out of a dead or dying hen.
I believe you would take the eggs out of a fish you just caught, add some borax and use them
right away. Steelhead go crazy.

Thanks I don't care what they cost as long as it works as well as reported.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
silver willie, Grant and Scott will have egg's in Albany Wed-Thur and Fri. at approx. 7 pm. the price is $8 for less than 50# and $7 for more than 50#. You can call and get directions at 541 928 6051.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Scott. I'll be fishing Tillamook this week. which stores will be carrying your eggs, did great this spring with your at Willamette falls. Also what is the proper way to bleed a fish?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.