IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little late posting, Oh Well....

Saturday went to Frenchmans and got the big goose egg. Saw quite a few caught but none for us.

Sunday I got a kitchen pass and decided to try it again. My son and I got out there at 9:00, set the anchor and fished until my buddy called to pick him up. We broke loose from the anchor and went to Fred's to pick him up. We then got back on our anchor and started bouncing back. My buddy was just about to put the rod in his holder when he yelled Fish on!!!!

He ended up hooking one more and loosing it and we had two drive by's that we missed.

We decided to try it again on Monday so we went back out in the same spot. About two hours into the tide my buddy nailed a nice 14 - 16lb URB. At this point I was getting pretty discouraged. I was just getting ready to reel in and try on another Alvin when this 30 pound hen came knocking on my door.

Monday we ended up hooking three fish getting 2 to the boat and had two drivebys.

We also met a couple of ifishers. Saturday we fished next to GR8Waves and Monday we met H20Dog at the ramp.
All in all it was a great weekend and I learned a new fishery. :smile:

[ 09-04-2003, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Tanner ]

·
Registered
111 Posts
For those of you that are ITK (in th know), I have a question about the fall URB's. I fish the Kalama area for Springers with wrapped K-fish, and you can't retain wild fish. In the pictures here I notice that they are not missing any fins.. Wild Fall fish on the CR can be kept? I will check the regs to make sure, but I have never fished this fishery, and just assumed they had to be clipped. If not, :dance: I must have released over 20 wild nookers this spring down at Kalama, and that really makes a guy ill :sick: Also what depths are more productive for the fall URB's. I pick most of the springers up in between 20 to 30 ft depths. Any input here will be welcome. Thanks in advance...Luckyduck1

---------------------------------------------
The worst day fishing is better than the best day working!!!! Tight lines!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
It was good to meet ya Tanner, it looks like I left too early on Saturday!! Lucky Duck - it is only the fall nooks that can have all the fins. Spring or summer nooks and coho must be finclipped.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Nice job Tanner :dance: :dance:

Hey, I know that guy!! That's Pete. How's he doing? We need to get together. I'll call BC.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Ok, this is a Frenchman's never been question.

I've got a 14 foot open face boat with a 15 horse motoer. Is Frenchman's a place I can fish, or am I too small?

By the way, how do you get to Frenchman's, and where do you launch?

SKP

·
Registered
266 Posts
SKP, there are people out there in boats that size and smaller, but when it is as rough as it was last weekend, I wouldn't feel very safe. When the wind picks up and huge cruisers, ships, and
barges start going by it can get nasty out there.

As to where "there" is... Frenchman's is just upstream of Kelly Point. You can put in as Fred's, the ramp at the Saint Johns Bridge, Sauvie Island ramp, and I'm sure some others.

·
Registered
17,229 Posts
Hey Tanner, really nice fish there

We're immediately below you in the pic, all my herring scent in the water must have stirred that hen's appetite as she cruised by and when she reached you was ready to bite :wink: !

I'll be around there on Saturday, perhaps you can return the favor? :grin:

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Tanner, you done reel good boy. I would like to do another trip with you, your boat or my sled. Let me know what you think........

·
Registered
68 Posts
Zaq, Dont you get tired watching other people catch fish and you continue to drought??? :grin:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Great job Tanner

LuckyDuck1, you can keep wild fall fish but summer and spring fish have to be missing the fin! Fish 45-60' of water for fall fish. Use Alvins (Brad's Wobblers) or Clancy's for fall fish. You fish deeper water and need more of a flash than you get from a Kwikfish, but I am sure a Kwikfish may work... I just never tried, no need to! :grin:

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Nice job Mr. Kennedy. :bowdown: Nothing like a reward for persistence.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woody,
Email me. Pete and I have been best buds for years. He was my best man 14 (oops) 13 years ago.

Zaq,
Another trip would be great. I really enjoyed fishing with you this last winter. Unfortunately because of football season starting for my boy it will probably be a few weeks before I can get another kitchen pass.

·
Registered
111 Posts
5-cents and gr8w, Thanks for the info, and I will let you know how it goes. I will be in the Frenchmans area Monday with an arsenal of different weapons to throw at them. Also do the Ifisher's run VHF 78 like the "dogs" do in the big lake? LuckyDuck1
----------------------------------------
Tight Lines are good lines!!!! :grin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts