IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frenchmans Bar Sat/Sun - July19-20 (and Monday)

Both days we beat the afternoon heat by hitting the river, for the last ~3 hours of the outgoing tide, looking for that low slack bite.

Saturday, we anchored in 31'. The boat cruisers and waterplay traffic was nonstop and intense. Plus the barges were all over the channel, even taking the inside (WA. side) line of where the freighters park (maybe they were scoping some bikini wildlife at the park? :wink: ) We did see one boat who was fishing around ~40' drop out and release one. We got zip on our Alvins.

Sunday, the water quieted down by 5:30 or so. By 6pm it was really, really nice - not a jet ski in sight. We moved three times looking for a slot and the third move to 41' paid off with a good take-down. A nice run, then up to the boat where we could see it was a very nice clippee. Not long, but one of those really fat, blue-chromed footballs, somewhere in the low 20#’s; with my chartreuse tipped Brad’s wobbler in his jaw. :grin: Then one more dive, walk him back around the stern, the net’s ready, then - POP - off goes the wobbler. Unbuttoned <SIGH>. Oh well, that’s fishing. I’m grateful for the grab, the fight was good, and at least we got to see him.

We stayed until 7:20 then headed for home only to be detoured to help a disabled boat at the head of the Channel that other boats apparently were ignoring. One of those heavy fiberglass ski/pleasure boats with 6 persons aboard. Yikes, what a load for my Honda 90 that was. Anyhow, went out of our way to haul him the 2 miles back to the St.Johns ramp at 10mph, along the way passing the Coast Guard patrol boat who couldn’t be bothered to make courtesy inquiry :depressed: although it was plainly obvious our boat was having problems towing that much weight. This latest towing episode - (which we seem to do regularly) - makes it clear that I need to rig and keep aboard, a dedicated tow line

Anyway, we ended up pretty late for dinner, but it was a great evening to be on the water. I wonder how much longer these summer fish will continue?

Monday 07/21 - A quick trip after work from 6:30-8:30. Back out to the 41' spot. Spoke to the only boat anchored- up there - nothing for him. I tried three locations but we got zippo for two rods. Still in all, the evening river breeze - Natures airconditioning - made the time very enjoyable.

[ 07-22-2003, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: garyk ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Hey Gary thanks for the report. I think those fish are in deeper water now, afterall it is only a few weeks before the fall run and we ply 45-60 for those guys.

Nice rescue, funny I have rescued 2 ski boats in that same area this year too.

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
GaryK,

Thanks for the report. Fishing up near Camas. I fish in shallow water up there, about 13-15 feet. We had one nice native on chartruse K-wobbler.

Sheeesh!...it's nutty. The weekend traffic has to take a toll on the fishing.

Way out of the channel but folks insist in coming right next to the boat (display behavior of some sort?). It's always fun to watch them stop and make a drastic turn as they realize I'm fishing right above a sandbar.

Evil person that I am, I keep hoping they'll go right up on the sandbar so I can offer to call SeaTow for them.

I was showing 70 deg water temp which I'm guessing makes the fish lethargic on the bite.

Brion

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Jignfloat,

It may be 70 degrees near the surface, but it will numb you to your mortal soul 6 feet down....cools off quikly...
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Actually it doesn't. I have a temp sensor on my downrigger and it doesn't vary a whole lot. Maybe a degree or two.

Explanation I got was that the dams tend to warm and mix the water to same level and there's not much chance for temperatures to change from Bonneville on down.

With not much temp difference, I think the fish are responding to current, pressure and light differences for finding that "highway" up the river.

Brion

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I know this sounds cold but.... After reading an article in the freshwater news I would think several times before I gave anyone a tow. It is clear that if you are towing someone and something bad happens it is your responsibility, financial and otherwise. Let's say you are towing them and they hit something that was completely out of your power to prevent. You get to pay for it. If their boat hits another boat and does damage to that other boat. You get to pay for it. While it is our responsibility to provide assistance in times of trouble, (someone is going to sink or someone could get injured if you don't help them) giving someone a tow is something you want to think about before doing it. If they are stuck offer to call a tow service and put the financial responsibility on them and the liability on the tow service.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
We fished the Columbia for steelhead on Sunday out of Chinook Landing. We went 3 for 3 with 2 wilds released and one nice keeper put in the box.

With over 6,000 steelhead going over the dam a day the steelhead fishing should be real good for a few weeks.

:smile:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
SandySteel,

If they are stuck offer to call a tow service and put the financial responsibility on them and the liability on the tow service.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I agree with that. If they are in danger, get them to a safe spot and call the Sheriff. The Sheriff will make sure they get a tow commercially or tow them himself if no commercial is available.

I was really glad to see SeaTow show up in Portland. I was talking to Lyman Louis, the local SeaTwo guy, at the gas dock. He told me that 90% of their business is non-SeaTow members. The SeaTow members tend to be the ones who do the maintenance and don't break down.

Brion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts