IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with Freedom Marine boats? I have a friend looking at a very used 21' cuddy cabin model that will need a new power plant and interior work. The hull has been checked and appears very sound.

He wants to make it a project boat and rebuild it himself. Any experiences or info on this boat maker?

SD

[ 07-31-2003, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Spoiled Daddy ]

·
Registered
388 Posts
HEllo , I hAD A 96' FREEDOM 18.5 OPEN BOW AND IT WAS A very reliable boat that is until my buddy lost it on his drive when taking it off the hitch and tore the outdrive off the transom, but insurance was very good to me, one thing though on mine it had a flat sun pad that laid down over the engine and flipped up to get access to some compartments, the seem were it meets the engine is directly over the carb and when it rained heavy for a couple of days it got water in the carb, this one maybe designed differently but keep it covered and no problems. Erik

·
Registered
312 Posts
I owned the 220 model. It was a 1989 20' 1", 22 1/2' overall with the cuddy and hardtop. I just sold the boat a month ago, and used the hell out of the boat for those 14 years. I had 1200 hrs on the 3.7LX merc engine without even breaking open a head gasket. It was a great boat. Went everywhere with the boat, from upper BC to San Jauns, to the ocean out of all the ports and bays from Newport north. It also spent alot of time in the cascades and eastern oregon lakes. Even the small ones. That is where I encountered problems. Shallow waters were my demise but not the boats fault, they were always my fault. The boat is very seaworthy, safe, and was exeptionally reliable for me. It took big water very well. I pondered for several years about getting a new boat, but enjoyed this boat so much, it was really hard to decide to part with her. Even though I'm a guy, admittently I teared up when she left. Hoping the next owner will have half as much fun and luck I had with it. I did get a 21' Thunder Jet. Guess that will help cure my shallow water ailments. I live on the Columbia river and the boat had been moored in the water for over 10 years. Even with that abuse the gelcoat and hull were in excellent shape. Freedom had a very good formula for their gelcoat. After all that time in the water, you could not even see a stain line after a thorough cleaning. If there are any questions in particular, drop me a message and I'll do what I can. Let me know what model or type you got.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts