IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out looking for sheds the other day with a buddy. We got down in a creek bottom and I almost tripped over this guy. Crazy thing was as my buddy was making his way over to me to check out my find he found another little forkue dead head about 50 ft from this big guy. Guess it's where deer go to die. Didn't end up with any sheds and the deadheads are still in the creek bottom where we found them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a trek pole to get a rough measurement of the spread. Came out to right around 20 inches. It was the biggest deadhead I've found by far.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Upon closer inspection, take a look at the tiny hole just above the right eye socket? Hope that's not what I think it could be.....

·
Registered
38,026 Posts
Looks like a kitty kill from the hole. You may be thinking a .22 also.

I’d talk to ODFW and see if you could get permission to recover it intact.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like a kitty kill from the hole. You may be thinking a .22 also.

I’d talk to ODFW and see if you could get permission to recover it intact.
Will they allow somebody do that? I had always heard they are supposed to stay in the woods. I would be stoked to recover it. It would make a cool euro mount.

·
Registered
38,026 Posts
We are allowed to bring skulls out of the woods but not intact. They are supposed to be split between the antlers. I don't think I could bring myself to do that with this beauty being that nobody is looking over my shoulder.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
You could pick it up, but you’d have to put a tag on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Can't do that either "legally" anyhow
Friend of a friend got in trouble for that a few years ago. He shot and lost a bull during season on his property. Found it the next spring shed hunting. Put his tag on it from the previous season. He put a pic on Facebook and a something about finding his bull from the previous year.

OSP saw that and came out to his place and gave him a citation!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts