IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but I didn't get my ?'s answered. I would like to drift the South Sant. but I'm not sure were I rate in the sceam of things. I've only drifted the N.Sant. and I've done from Mehama to Stayton and Greens to Jeff. as long as you pay attention I didn't think it was that hard.

My dad and I have a new drifter (green Fishcraft with Gold writing) and I don't want to get in over my head and hurt myself or others. Sorry if I'm being overly cautious but I just want to know the ends and outs since everyone I've asked hasn't been able to give a good answer.
Thanks in advance your helps appreciatted.
Later Geoff

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on guys I need some info. I know tons of people do this drift since I see them go past me all day long while I'm fishing at Church Camp.
I'd like to do it this wed. but I need info first.
Thanks again
Later Geoff

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Fairly easy drift, not many places to get into trouble. I am new on the sticks and have been down that run several times this year. I hear this time of year there is a line of boats all the way down. Good Luck and let me know when you plan on floating, I may meet up with you to follow or lead.

·
Registered
457 Posts
There are a few posts in the old archives (try 2001 archives)

In a nutshell - that stretch is not too bad. I'd say on par with Mehama to Stayton, although much shorter (~3.5 miles long)and no dam in the middle. Its a bit more difficult than Greens to Jefferson. One section about 1/2 down has some roller and bolders that come out at the right level, but if you pay attention, they can be avoided by rowing around - if in doubt about your abilities - scout that section out.

Hardest part of that drift is the crowds - not a nice place to learn to row on a crowded weekend, you will be fishing along with most of the valley. Some have characterized it as 'combat fishing' especially on holiday weekends.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your help. The info is just what I was looking for. Still up in the air if I want to bank it or boat it.
I'm going on wed let you guys know how I do. Thanks again for the help.

Later Geoff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts