IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a fishing/camping trip, weekend after next down around the Sweet Home area. I spent my early childhood in this area but haven't been back in 20+ years. I am taking the kids and the boat was hoping someone could recommend a good camping area something kind of quiet and out of the way but not too far from the boat ramps. In addition I would also very much like to know what the conditions are. I had heard that the water level was real low in Green Peter, is the boat ramp still functional? How has the fishing been? Would like to get a little Salmon fishing in, but with the kids I will probably focus on the trout, the kokanee and maybe even a little bass fishing. Oh ya, do either of these resevoirs or any lakes in the area support Browns? Anyways, any input or advice would be appreciated. I will be a little out of my environment I primarily Sturgeon fish on the Columbia or Brown trout fishing in the high lakes of Mt. Hood. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
No Brown trout in either lake. The closest browns are at Suttle Lake on the other side of the hill. Kokanee are usually a good bet at GP this year, and my best camping trips are at GP. Whitcomb creek park has usually been a quiet campground when I have been there. It is on GP. If there are a bunch of louds there, pack your gear in the boat and motor up the lake until you find a secluded beach. You can have lots of peace and quiet usually that way. For the Kokes, try trolling from 30 to 60 pulls out with 4 oz. lead, a Ford Fender, red and green wedding rings, and white corn. I am inept as far as bass fishing goes. There are going to be skiers on both lakes, but foster is much more crowded, noisier, and poorer fishing IMHO. I am pretty sure the lower ramp at thistle creek on GP is still in the water. It is about a mile from Whitcomb Creek CG.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The only campsite on Foster is Sunnyside Park. It would be a good idea to arrive on Thurs. though as it gets full quickly. There is a boat ramp there as well. The park ranger doesn't put up with anything, so it stays pretty quiet there. Whitcomb Creek Campground on Green Peter is nice and quiet, but gets full as well. There is a boat ramp there, but it's closed due to the low water level. On Green Peter, you can camp anywhere along the road so that's an option as well. You can't, however, have a campfire unless there is a steel fire ring provided. ACE, who makes the rules, is having the police crack down on the campfires this year. Thistle Creek boatramp is the only ramp open on Green Peter. There is an extended ramp there that is still in the water (for the moment). The parking can get real bad. Green Peter's water is down to the winter level and Foster is almost full.

As far as fishing, I saw 8 limits (25 each) of kokanee come out of GP today. I've heard that fishing is best near the trash booms by the dam. Boats anchor there and jig. For trolling, troll with the setup that Snapset suggested. Kokanee limit on GP is 25 in addition to the 5 trout limit. I've heard that largemouth bass fishing is good on GP. The fishing pressure on Foster has declined, but the catch rate is pretty good. Fishing from the boat is your best bet. Trolling along the Hwy 20 side of Foster from the S. Santiam bridge to the point at the rest area is good fishing. That's where the big rainbows hang out. :smile: Troll with the same setup as for GP kokanee. I've had people use worms and powerbait as well as white corn. One is not better than the other. I've also had people troll with just a rooster tail. If you want to still fish, put on a 4 oz slide weight and some powerbait with a 12 inch leader and fish off the bottom. I've heard that the big (18-19 inch) trout hang out there. For bass fishing, anywhere along the bank will work. To avoid waterskiers and a crowded lake, going out in the mornings, 7-11am, is best. Although, several people have told me the fish don't start biting until about noon. Fishing in the evenings, 6-9pm, will also avoid most of the crowd. There are kokanee in Foster, but they are not that big. Also, the kokanee limit is within the trout limit of 5 on Foster so most people go to GP for kokanee.

Hope that helps. If you come to Foster, make sure you say hi to me. I'll be the one holding a clipboard and asking to see your fish. :smile: :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts