IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost a rod in my 1988 35hp merc last week.
Been looking into a replacement.
iboat has a new(0hours)2001 merc 4s 50hp shipped here for 3700$.

or

a local 1998 Force 50hp for 750$??

or

someone have a 40-50hp engine nontiller forsale??

Gordon

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 1998 75hp force on a 17ft smoker it seems to work great for me. I don't know a lot about motors though :smile: It AINT no honda :depressed:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a 2000 50hp 2/s force and use it a lot, I have never had a problem with it. The only reason I would ever change is to have a 4/s

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I had an 85 horse Force for about 5 yrs. Not one single problem with it. It was a great motor and super easy to maintain.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've got a '95 40HP Force and although I've had a couple problems(Stator, fuel pump, tilt relay)over the course of 400-500 hours, none were difficult nor expensive to repair, and parts are easy to get (at least for Mercury models). They are simple no frill motors that are not super fuel efficent and won't be winning any clean air, or quiet running awards. I can't complain about mine.

SureSet

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would stay a looonnnnggggg way away from Force motors!!!!! They are the lowest end of any maufacturers food chain. Know of to many horror stories to tell here about major rebuilds to these piecies of junk.
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1st saleman I talked to said nothinbg wrong with the 50hp Force, I asked was there a miss-print, 750$ for a 1998 engine? answer nothing wrong, runs good.

Called this morning to see if they would set the engine up and run it, new salesman says we can run it for you, but it does have a noticable knock in the engine. I say thanks for saving me a trip.

still looking for a good 40-50hp engine

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
ahhhh, now you know why the price seemed too good to be true! I'd stay away from that one too. Good luck in your search. Remember, dont take testimony on these engines from folks who never owned one.

[ 08-14-2003, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: TundraIII ]

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
About three years ago. I purchased a new 50 hp merc. At the time Mercury was still producing Force. Though after talking with the service department at Cascade Marine. I learned that even though Mercury had bought out Force, it still had the same Chrysler/US marine engine configuration with less expensive inferior parts added to it. Mercury quit producing Force in 2000 because they could not meet emission standards. Additionally the horsepower on a force was not rated the same way as a Merc. Therefore the Merc 50 hp put out more power the the same 50 hp Force. The fact that the Force is only 750.00 should tell you something!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts